Want to Write for TheBody?
We are always in need of highly skilled, knowledgeable writers to help us cover stories on HIV/AIDS and related issues. At the moment, we are looking for talented individuals who can write one or more of the following:
- News briefs: Up to 500 words summarizing key details of HIV-related news stories reported elsewhere on the Web.
- Reported articles: Roughly 800 words exploring an HIV-related news story or community development in some detail; includes background, context and quotes from two or more sources relevant to the story.
- Op-eds: Personal perspectives on HIV-related news stories, life experiences and other issues that resonate with the HIV community. Word count will vary by assignment.
- In-depth feature reporting: Long-form articles, interview transcripts, videos or moderated roundtable discussions that deeply explore an HIV-related issue or personal story. Includes significant background research and context, and usually requires skill with interview preparation, execution and transcription.
Pay rates per article will differ depending on the type and length of the piece.
If You're Interested
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject title "Your Name: Freelance Writer."
- Please include a cover letter that lets us know what type of stories you're interested in writing for TheBody, plus a little something about who you are, where your interests/strengths lie as a writer, and whether you have any knowledge of or background in HIV or science writing. (If you have a resume, feel free to provide it.)
- Sample clips or links to articles you've written are deeply encouraged (no more than three, please).
- Let us know the typical rates you charge for freelance writing, if any.
Additional Points to Keep in Mind
- We'll do our best to send you a confirmation email to let you know we've received your message. But due to the number of emails we receive and the small size of our team, we otherwise won't be able to reply to all freelance applications. We hope you understand; please don't write us more than once!
- Freelancing for TheBody does not come with any assurances regarding the number of pieces you'll write or the frequency with which you'll write them. This may vary widely depending on our needs, your ability and your availability.
Thank you for interest in writing for us! We're eager to hear from you.