Benjamin Young, M.D., Ph.D.
Dr. Young is the senior vice president and chief medical officer of the International Association of Providers of AIDS Care (IAPAC), one of the world's largest organizations of HIV health care providers, where among his responsibilities, he coordinates educational projects for healthcare providers in Africa and Latin America. He is the medical editor for IAPAC's widely read AIDSinfonet.org. Dr. Young provides care for people living with HIV at APEX Family Medicine in Denver.
The much-traveled Dr. Young is a long-term resident of Colorado's Rocky Mountains, but was raised in New York and San Diego. Dr. Young began his graduate studies at the University of Colorado in Boulder, where he received a Ph.D. in molecular biology and biochemistry working in the laboratory of Nobel laureate Thomas Cech. He went on to earn his medical doctorate in 1992 from the University of Colorado School of Medicine and completed his post-graduate training in internal medicine and infectious diseases at the University of Colorado.
Dr. Young is the author of more than 80 journal articles, reviews and book chapters relating to HIV and its treatment. He is a member of the World Health Organization's HIV Clinical Guideline Development Group and principal investigator with the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's HIV Outpatient Study (HOPS), a massive ongoing analysis of the health of HIV-positive people throughout the U.S. A member of the HIV Medicine Association, the International AIDS Society and the American Academy of HIV Medicine, Dr. Young is also actively involved in educating health care professionals and community groups throughout the world on HIV-related subjects. He has devoted previous years to training HIV physicians in Eastern Europe and Central Asia, where he witnessed a coup d'etat and a polio outbreak.
Within the past year, Dr. Young has had some form of official relationship with each of the following groups/organizations that have a stake in the fight against HIV. These disclosures were last updated on Jan. 5, 2017.
- International Association of Providers of AIDS Care (IAPAC): Senior Vice President and Chief Medical Officer
- APEX Research, Denver, Colorado: Co-Owner/Investigator
- APEX Family Medicine, Denver, Colorado: Staff Physician
- International Association of Providers of AIDS Care (IAPAC): Section Chair, IAPAC Guidelines on Improving the HIV Care Continuum
- UNAIDS: advisor on human resources and task shifting; human rights and criminalization
- World Health Organization: member of HIV Clinical Guideline Development Group
- Clinical Care Options: speaker bureau
- Gilead Sciences: consultant
- Merck & Co: advisory board, speaker bureau
- Remedy Health Media (TheBody.com/TheBodyPRO.com): Q&A expert, editorial contributor
- ViiV Healthcare: consultant
APEX Research, of which Dr. Young is co-owner, has accepted funding from:
- Gilead Sciences
- Merck & Co.
- U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- ViiV Healthcare
- American Academy of HIV Medicine
- Infectious Disease Society of America/HIV Medicine Association
- International AIDS Society
- International Association of Providers of AIDS Care
Latest by Benjamin Young, M.D., Ph.D.
Hi I would just like to know if it's OK to only take Bactrim? I have been on Arvs since 2009-2014 then restarted in 2016. I have been going through worst side effects and decided to just take Bactrim as the side effects are bearable.. Will the Bactr...
currently taking Reyataz Norvir Epzicon. Doing well on these. Started seeing a new doctor and he has recommended that I abandon Reyataz Norvir Epzicon and start taking a single dose of Triumeg. My question: If I start taking Triumeg, will I be able t...
Why isnt more being done to end the stigma surrounding HIV? It seems so much money is continually being spent on new hiv medications and finding a cure , when we already have all the tools we need to end the epidemic if we can get rid of the stigma s...
Hi I just want to know if is it safe to take trivenz while I'm pregnant. I founded out that I'm HIV + and my doctor prescribe me take HIV treatment, I went to the chemist with the prescription and they gave me Trivenz. When I'm reading the paper insi...
Missed tonight's dose at 9pm Its now 1:18 am should i take my dose or wait till tommorw night ?
Does garlic cloves interfere with epzicom or isentress
Hello Doctor I have used inegy 10 mg tablets to treat high cholesterol levels as side effects of Kaletra I used for 15 years. I have read the side effects of inegy. Cancer is one of them. Now I am afraid to use it. I can't change Kaletra as it has im...
1. Is HIV and syphilis are same. 2. Is syphilis are treatable or not 3. Is syphilis develop as HIV 4.What is the risk factors in syphilis to cause HIV I'm a bi sexual. I had sex with some boys. And I have find some skin rashes and platter infectio...
I just got my cd4 result n is 154 I will be taking antibiotics by today and worst I'm diabetic with high blood and high cholesterol. Am I going to die very soon. How am I going to go through with it.
Hi Im gonna go for cosmetic surgery soon. May i know - does anesthesia with interfere or have any contradiction with the hiv meds (atripla) im taking? Kindly advise.