Confirmation of Trump's nominee for Health and Human Service (HHS) Secretary, Georgia Representative Tom Price, threatens the health of millions of people in the U.S., including people living with and vulnerable to HIV. Price's commitment to repeal the Affordable Care Act, gut Medicaid and remove critical consumer protections makes clear his lack of concern for America's health.
- Voted against:
- the Mental Health Parity and Addiction Equity Act, which improved insurance coverage for mental health care;
- funding for combating AIDS, malaria and tuberculosis;
- legislation prohibiting job discrimination against LGBTQ people and against enforcement of laws against anti-LGBTQ hate crimes;
- expanding the National Institutes of Health budget.
- Opposed reauthorization of the Violence Against Women Act;
- Supports proposals for high-risk pools and health savings accounts, which have failed;
- Called for privatizing Medicare and eliminating the Medicaid expansion that offers health coverage to millions of working people in America; and
- Would not commit to keeping the Office to Minority Health.
As head of HHS, Price would supervise numerous agencies that oversee critical operations and programs that impact HIV. CDC, FDA, the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid, the Health Resources and Services Administration, and NIH are just a few. We can't allow someone committed to dismantling essential systems of prevention, care and research to lead those same systems. As Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer said, "nominating Congressman Price to be [HHS] secretary is akin to asking the fox to guard the hen house."
If Tom Price is confirmed as the HHS Secretary our communities will pay the price. Contact your senators and urge them to reject Price's nomination and demand a HHS secretary who will meet our health care needs.