I just tested positive with a cd4 of 345 and VL of 185000. I work in a Middle East country and have 6 months left on my contract. Treatment is illegal in this country and non-nationals with HIV are deported.
My plan is to test CD4 and VL again on the 1st of April. If worse quit my job and return to my home country. If stable finish my contract that ends July 5th.
The reason I don't quit now is financial and career fallout of quitting mid-contract and not being able to get a reference.
I will be abstaining from sex so will not be a danger to others.
What are the risks of waiting 3-6 months to start medication in my situation?
That is a very high HIV viral load result and the CD4 count is already significantly decreased. Under normal circumstances, HIV treatment would be recommended now. There is likely to be further decline in the CD4 count in the next 3-6 months.