Ive had the following tests done:
- Positive Treponemal AB (unsure of the method used)
- Negative RPR
- Negative MHATP
- All other STDS were non-reactive and negative.
- Positive Treponema Pallidum AB, Particle Agglutination
- Negative RPR (DX) W/REFL TITER and confirmatory testing
-Doctor didnt order a second MHATP-styled test because he was concerned about insurance covering it. I wish he had though since all of this is bothering me.
Two infectious disease specialists at this point have said its not Syphilis but also cant explain to me why my antibodies are positive.
Ive had a brain MRI done about a month ago, it was for unrelated reasons but the neurologist who ordered it said it came back clear. He never showed me it which I wish he would have. So I guess Syphilis hasnt made its way into my brain lol.
In my mind Im thinking its either:
- Prior infection that was indirectly treated by Doxycycline as Ive taken that a lot over the last few years.
- Autoimmune disease(s) making it positive. My family has a small history of them.
- Late Syphilis. Ive had a lot of partners over the last few years if Im honest and its been 3ish years since I last tested specifically for Syphilis. I have had Chlamydia several years ago which was cleared up back then, but I do have a small history of prior STDs I suppose.
My symptoms this year:
- Testical pain
- Numbish feelings in the arm and right leg/foot, although the nerve tests came back fine. Potentially anxiety related but Ive never had this sensation in my foot and leg before. Only the arm. This sensation was getting worse before I even had the initial Syphilis diagnosis.
- Left face and left eye pain for 1.5 months. It was pretty bad for awhile, I was having difficulties looking out of my left eye because of the aching pain. - I also developed a black eye floater 2 weeks ago which is really intrusive. Doctors are unsure what this is or if its even related. But I really dont like that I have floaters popping up in the midst of abnormal facial pain. No flashes of light or sign of growth.
- 1.5 months ago had really bad dizziness and vertigo spells. Theyve calmed down and I dont get them as much, but I still occasionally feel like my balance is off.
Why would this antibody be positive?
Is it worth it to ask my doctor for a secondary MHATP-styled test?
How often does an autoimmune disease actually make it pop positive? Wondering if its worth pursuing.
Should I ask for a spinal tap?
In your opinion, does it sound like Syphilis?
Thank you for everything that you do.
I agree with the ID doctors and you should work with your neurologist on the other symptoms you are experiencing.