Just Diagnosed Frequently Asked Questions
Jan. 14, 2009
- I am a straight male who was recently diagnosed with HIV. My viral load is "very high" and my CD4 count is 94. Could you tell me based on this how long ago I was infected?
- My doctor says I don't need medication yet since my CD4 count is still high. However, I want to try other treatments such as homeopathy or the new "Transfer Factor" product. Are these alternatives a waste of time and money?
- I was recently diagnosed with a CD4 count of about 94. My doctor is starting me on Truvada (tenofovir/FTC). What other medication should I use? Is there a way to tell when I was infected?
- Is it normal for a newly diagnosed person's viral load to triple soon after diagnosis? Also when should I start treatment?
- I have just been diagnosed with HIV and am wondering if I should tell my employer. Does my new status change my insurance coverage?
- My father is 56 and recently diagnosed with AIDS. How will his behavior and appearance change as the disease progresses?
- I just tested positive. Can immediate treatment eradicate the virus? Is it normal to be feeling fatigue and nausea? What lifestyle changes should I make at this early stage?
- What is the life expectancy of someone diagnosed with HIV at age 60?
- Does the fact that I have AIDS greatly reduce the normal life expectancy that is being quoted for people with HIV?
- I was diagnosed with HIV, with thrush and shingles. My viral load is now less than 75 and my CD4 count is 900. Should I have been given an AIDS diagnosis? What is my life expectancy?
- I understand that a distinction is made between HIV and AIDS. Is it true that the average life expectancy after diagnosis of HIV ranges from 5 years to 25 years? Is there a different life expectancy for AIDS-defining illnesses?
- I was diagnosed in 2000, do I really have only 10 more years to live?
- What's the life expectancy of an HIVer who won't take meds?
- I'm 40 and have been newly diagnosed. Can I live a normal life span?
- I'm in love with an HIVer, but worried about his life expectancy.
- I was recently diagnosed and have an undetectable viral load. I'm having difficulty obtaining treatment. I have trouble breathing and get dizzy. How long will I have to live?