HIV Vaccines: Our Current Progress (Infographic)
In honor of HIV Vaccine Awareness Day, on May 18, let's take a look at some key facts in our current progress toward an HIV vaccine. Our friends at AVAC created the following infographic to highlight some important numbers and figures, including:
- There are currently 35 HIV vaccine trials underway.
- In 2004, we discovered only four broadly neutralizing antibodies. In 2015, we discovered 73 broadly neutralizing antibodies.
- There's $818 million in funding for HIV vaccine research, as of 2013.
- Although we're over 30 years into the HIV epidemic, by comparison, the typhoid vaccine took 105 years to develop.
View and share the infographic:
- View the full-sized infographic.
- Download the infographic as a PDF.
- Add the infographic to your website.
Warren Tong is the senior science editor for TheBody.com and TheBodyPRO.com.