HIV and Your Quality of Life: A Guide to Side Effects and Better Long-Term Health
A guide to side effects and better long term health.
This guide now focuses as much on getting the best quality of life as it does on side effects. The online version includes additional material to the print version.
Table of Contents
- What Are Side Effects?
- Why Do Side Effects Occur?
- Starting Treatment for the First Time?
- Using the Yellow Card Scheme
- How to Talk to Your Doctor About Side Effects
- Side Effects Diary
- How Side Effects Are Graded
- Side Effects, Drug Levels and Genetics
- When Is Therapeutic Drug Monitoring (TDM) Appropriate?
- Changing HIV Drugs
- Side Effects and Adherence
- You and Your Doctor
Side Effects With General Symptoms
- Nausea and Vomiting
- Fatigue -- Feeling Tired
- Insomnia -- Disturbed Sleep
- Mental Health
- Sexual Health
Drug Specific Side Effects
- CNS Side Effects (Efavirenz, Rilpivirine, Atripla, Eviplera): Mood Changes, Anxiety, Dizziness, Sleep Disturbance
- Abacavir Hypersensitivity Reaction
- Increased Bilirubin and Jaundice (Yellow Skin and/or Eyes)
- Kidney Toxicity Including Kidney Stones
- Skin Rash
- Dry Skin, Nail Problems, Hair Loss
- Peripheral Neuropathy
- Liver-Related Side Effects
- Lactic Acidosis and Pancreatitis
- T-20: Injection Site Reactions (ISRS) and Other Side Effects
- Lipodystrophy and Metabolic Changes
- Fat Loss (Lipoatrophy)
- Fat Accumulation
- Cholesterol and Triglycerides
- Increased Blood-Sugar Levels and Risk of Type-2 Diabetes
HIV, Aging and Quality of Life
- HIV and Aging
- Heart Disease
- Bone Health
- HIV and Cancer
- Lifestyle Factors and Your Health
- Diet: A Balanced Diet and Your Health
- Exercise and Staying Active
- Non HIV Drugs