Full Blown AIDS and Forced Back to Work


How can a person with a 170 cd4 count and Histplasmosis be sent back to work and disability benefits terminated? I was told I could perform my teaching duties without restrictions. I m still taking Sporanox for histoplasmosis.


Dear Writer, thank you for writing in.

I assume you mean that your Social Security Disability (SSDI) benefits were terminated.

If you feel that you are simply too impaired to perform full-time work you should request reconsideration of the denial and/or a hearing with an Administrative Law Judge to appeal the denial. Importantly, you must submit your appeal in writing within 60 days of the denial. You can file an appeal by walking into your local Social Security Administration office or you can download the form on ssa.gov. If you are appealing beyond the 60 day window, you should submit a new claim ASAP.

Claims for SSDI are adjudicated largely on your medical records. To get the best possible outcome on your claim, be sure to maintain your regular doctor's appointments and keep your medical providers updated about how you feel. This will guarantee your medical records, clinical progress notes, test results, etc., are up-to-date and accurately reflect your condition. You must also advise Social Security of ALL of your health care providers. Social Security has the duty to develop your medical records, so make SSA has each and every source of your medical treatment.

Please check out one of my earlier posts, linked below, for additional information on this important topic. Good luck to you and stay strong.

Permanent disability claim