FAQs About Facial Wasting
Jan. 1, 2012
Don't see your question? Ask it in our Facial Wasting forum!
- Newly diagnosed: Which meds should I choose to avoid lipoatrophy?
- How long should I wait to begin treatment for facial wasting?
- How do I craft an anti-lipo regimen?
- Can I use Sculptra (poly-L-lactic acid, New-Fill) to prevent facial wasting?
- Is it OK to get dental X-rays with facial fillers?
- When I seroconverted, I lost some weight and experienced visible facial wasting. Is this normal? What can I do to get back to my normal appearance?
- I've noticed that my eyes are beginning to look sunken and my belly is getting bigger, even though my doctor says that Atripla doesn't cause these side effects. What's going on?
- I know Retrovir's a major culprit of lipoatrophy, and I've taken it for many years. Does this decrease my chances of having the fat come back since I've changed treatment regimens?
- When should I expect to start experiencing facial wasting?
- How likely is lipoatrophy with newer HIV drugs?
- I am experiencing fat loss and veins in my lower legs. I'm on Kaltera and Truvada. Is there a better drug regiment for me?
- Sculptra (poly-L-lactic acid, New-Fill) or a fat transplant: Which is better for treating lipoatrophy?
- What do you think about Artefill (polymethyl-methacrylate, also known as PMMA, Articol or Metacrill) for for lipoatrophy?
- Are mini face-lifts a good option for HIVers with mild lipoatrophy?
- Which facial fillers will give me the most "bang for my buck"?
- Could my dental work cause my facial filler to get infected?
- I've been positive for about 15 years, and I've experienced facial wasting and extreme fat loss in my butt. What can I do?
- Is plastic surgery a good, permanent solution for facial wasting?
- Can I go back to Sculptra after using Bio-Alcamid?
- I had a bad reaction to Bio-Alcamid, what should I do?
- Can you please tell me the procedure code I should use to get insurance coverage for Sculptra?
- What besides PMMA [short for poly(methyl methacrylate)] is available as a permanent filler for facial lipoatrophy?
- Is Sculptra (poly-L-lactic acid, New-Fill) patient assistance available to Medicare recipients?
- How do I find a Radiesse (calcium hydroxylapatite, Radiance) provider who offers patient assistance?
- What's the extent of Medicare's coverage of Sculptra (poly-L-lactic acid, New-Fill) and Radiesse (calcium hydroxylapatite, Radiance)?
- Medicare coverage for facial fillers: How should I proceed?
- What's the latest news on Medicare coverage for lipoatrophy treatment?
- I just wanted to point out that there are such things as age-related and genetic lipoatrophy. It might not be HIV or your meds.
- The drugs are doubtless a factor, and may be the sole cause for some HIV patients, but I can tell you from personal experience that HIV *alone* can cause lipodystrophy.
- HIV-positive physician Dr. Bob Frascino shares information about insurance coverage, including one man's long appeal process to get his lipoatrophy treatment covered.
For frequently asked questions on other HIV/AIDS topics, click here.