This year will mark the 20th anniversary of HIV Vaccine Awareness Day (HVAD). On this May 18, as HIV prevention advocates we find ourselves in new terrain when it comes to vaccine research -- both in terms of scientific progress and the challenging political environment. We'll be highlighting these important issues in an HVAD webinar series leading up to and ending on May 18 -- read on for full information and to register.
As we look back on the 20 years since President Bill Clinton called for accelerating HIV vaccine development, AVAC recognizes that, now more than ever, we need steady hands and supportive voices to back this long-term, challenging, essential endeavor. Can you help us identify the next HIV vaccine champions? Are you one of them?
This year we are celebrating HVAD, not only on May 18, but throughout the month leading up to it (and beyond). We promise not to inundate you! But we recognize the "breadth and potency" of the current research landscape and the many events that will happen around the globe to mark the momentous day. We want to keep you in the loop.
We'll provide research literacy tools; share AVAC's take on developments in the field; and host a series of webinars to discuss key issues in vaccine research and advocacy. Please register, mark your calendars, and have your questions ready.
- Friday, April 28, 9 a.m. ET: Ad26 Mosaic Program -- Janssen's Maria Pau discusses preparations for the next efficacy trial
- Thursday, May 4, 10 a.m. ET: The History -- and Future -- of the NIH's Vaccine Research Center with Barney Graham
- Monday, May 8, 10 a.m. ET: Building on (and Building!) Success -- status of HVTN 702 with Fatima Laher
- Thursday, May 11, 10 a.m. ET: "Plan B"-NAb? An Overview of Antibody Research with Lynn Morris
- Thursday, May 18, 10 a.m. ET: An Overview of Vaccine Development from the Vaccine Hunter, Nelson Michael
We hope you're looking forward to the month ahead as much as we are! Talk soon.