Print this page    •   Back to Web version of article

International News
Singapore Informs Spouses of HIV-Positive Individuals of Partners' Status

December 8, 2005

Singapore's Ministry of Health has begun informing the spouses of HIV-positive people about their partners' HIV status in an effort to fight the spread of the virus, Reuters reports. According to the text of a speech made on Monday by Senior Minister of State for Health Balaji Sadasivan and posted on the MOH Web site, the ministry since July has delivered letters to 41 women informing them that their husbands are HIV-positive (Reuters, 12/6). "Marriage and the women's own fidelity are not enough to protect them against HIV infection. Most have been infected despite staying faithful to their partner," Sadasivan said (Sadasivan speech, 12/5). The letters advise the women to get tested for HIV and offer information about counseling services. The ministry said two of the women who were alerted have tested HIV-positive. Out of Singapore's 2,584 recorded HIV cases, 954 people have died, 631 have developed AIDS, and 999 show no symptoms, according to Reuters (Reuters, 12/6).

Back to other news for December 8, 2005

Reprinted with permission from You can view the entire Kaiser Daily HIV/AIDS Report, search the archives, or sign up for email delivery at The Kaiser Daily HIV/AIDS Report is published for, a free service of the Kaiser Family Foundation, by The Advisory Board Company. © 2005 by The Advisory Board Company and Kaiser Family Foundation. All rights reserved.

This article was provided by Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation. It is a part of the publication Kaiser Daily HIV/AIDS Report. You can find this article online by typing this address into your Web browser:

General Disclaimer: is designed for educational purposes only and is not engaged in rendering medical advice or professional services. The information provided through should not be used for diagnosing or treating a health problem or a disease. It is not a substitute for professional care. If you have or suspect you may have a health problem, consult your health care provider.