Index of Articles From Lambda Legal
- Lambda Legal Launches Know Your Rights Hub for People Living With HIV (September 28, 2015)
- Regaining Our Footing on the Road to an AIDS-Free Generation (June 26, 2015)
- Lambda Legal Calls for Halt to HIV-Based Criminal Prosecutions in Wake of Department of Justice Guidance (July 17, 2014)
"We call upon those charged with enforcing such laws -- from governors to prosecutors to police detectives -- to halt the criminal prosecution and resulting persecution of any individual based on HIV status."
- Victory! Iowa Supreme Court Reverses Conviction in Lambda Legal HIV Criminalization Case (June 13, 2014)
- Iowa Supreme Court Hears Oral Argument in Lambda Legal Case Challenging HIV-Based Conviction (March 10, 2014)
- Lambda Legal Files Federal Lawsuit Against Louisiana Insurers for Dumping People With HIV (February 20, 2014)
- Lambda Legal Gathers Over 130 HIV Advocacy Organizations to Support Affordable Care Act (March 15, 2012)
U.S. Supreme Court will hear oral argument at the end of March.
- Positive Justice Project Members Endorse REPEAL HIV Discrimination Act (September 23, 2011)
- Lambda Legal Announces Scott Schoettes as New HIV Project Director (January 10, 2011)
- Lambda Legal and ARCW Resolve Discrimination Case on Behalf of HIV-Positive Woman Denied Surgery (December 28, 2010)
"When we brought this lawsuit, it put doctors everywhere on notice: you don't get a free pass to discriminate."
- Lambda Legal Releases Report on HIV Stigma and Discrimination in Advance of World AIDS Day (November 19, 2010)
- White House Invites HIV-Positive Retiree Who Was Evicted from Assisted Living to Attend Meeting (October 25, 2010)
"We are encouraged that the administration is addressing the issue of HIV/AIDS and aging."
- Still No Explanation From California State Agency on Release of Confidential HIV Information: ACLU and Lambda Legal Prepare Further Action (October 19, 2010)
- California State Agency Released Confidential HIV Information: ACLU and Lambda Legal Demand Explanation (September 9, 2010)
- Lambda Legal and HIV-Positive Retiree Settle Lawsuit Against North Little Rock Assisted Living Facility (September 1, 2010)
"The days are long over when a person could hide behind ignorance about HIV as an excuse to throw someone out on the street."
- Federal Court Allows Lambda Legal and ARCW to Proceed to Trial on Behalf of HIV Positive Woman Denied Surgery (July 23, 2010)
- Obama Administration Releases National HIV/AIDS Strategy; Lambda Legal Issues Statement (July 13, 2010)
"This plan is an important and long overdue first step, but it will only succeed with sufficient funding for treatment and education."
- Lambda Legal Applauds Michigan Court Ruling to Drop Bioterrorism Charge Based on Alleged HIV Status of Defendant (June 3, 2010)
"Discrimination and stigma remain problems for people living with HIV because of the misinformation about HIV. A court has to make decisions, as it did here, based on facts not fear."
- Lambda Legal Releases Health Care Discrimination Survey Results; More Than Half of LGBT and HIV Positive Respondents Report Discrimination (February 4, 2010)
"The results of this survey should shock the conscience of this nation. No one should be turned away or face discrimination when they are sick or seeking medical care."
- Lambda Legal Calls for Action in Observance of World AIDS Day (November 30, 2009)
"... we call on policy makers at every level to eliminate discriminatory laws and policies."
- President Obama to Lift HIV Travel Ban: Lambda Legal Says Good Riddance to Bad Policy (October 30, 2009)
"... as the government sheds this discriminatory practice, we hope that other discriminatory laws and policies will soon be eliminated."
- Lambda Legal Urges Swift Adoption of Proposed Rules Eliminating HIV Travel and Immigration Ban (August 18, 2009)
After over twenty years of barring people living with HIV from traveling or immigrating to the United States ... Lambda Legal strongly urges the CDC to move swiftly to finalize and implement the proposed regulations.
- DOJ Tells State Licensing Boards and Occupational Training Schools That it Is Illegal to Bar People With HIV (July 17, 2009)
HIV advocacy groups that urged DOJ to issue the guidelines praise the agency for its leadership.
- Lambda Legal Applauds Proposed Rules Eliminating HIV Travel Restrictions (July 1, 2009)
- Lambda Legal and ARCW File Federal Lawsuit on Behalf of HIV-Positive Woman Denied Surgery by Healthcare Provider (February 12, 2009)
- 15 Presidential Steps for HIV Rights (December 4, 2008)
- On World AIDS Day Lambda Legal Urges President-Elect Barack Obama to Consider Critical HIV Civil Rights Issues (December 1, 2008)
- State Criminal Statutes on HIV Transmission (August 2008)
To read PDF, here
- Lambda Legal Urges President to Eliminate U.S. Travel Restrictions for People Living With HIV (July 25, 2008)
"The ban against HIV-positive travelers and visitors is a violation of basic human rights, and the reversal of this discriminatory policy is long overdue."
- Lambda Legal Advises Social Security Administration on HIV Disability Benefits (May 23, 2008)
- On World AIDS Day Lambda Legal Renews Pledge to Fight (November 28, 2007)
Stop AIDS: keep the promise -- leadership.
- Federal HIV Testing Initiatives Can Only Succeed With Expanded Healthcare, Patient and Provider Education (PDF) (September 21, 2006)
- New HIV Screening Recommendations Off the Mark (2006)
- Company Admits to Firing a Highly Skilled Georgia Worker Because He Has HIV; Lambda Legal Pushes Forward With Federal Lawsuit (July 29, 2004)
- Petition Against Cirque du Soleil's HIV Discrimination (November 25, 2003)
- Lambda Legal and Communities Launch Protests Against Cirque du Soleil for HIV Discrimination, Starting With "Alegria" Show That Opens Tonight in San Francisco (November 6, 2003)
- Lambda Legal Files Federal Discrimination Complaint On Behalf of Stroke Victim Who Was Denied Care by 6 Louisiana Nursing Homes Because He Has HIV (July 23, 2003)
With more people with HIV and AIDS living longer, Lambda Legal says case is "heartbreaking but not unique".
- Cirque du Soleil Unlawfully Denied Gymnast "Dream Job" Because He Has HIV, Lambda Legal Says in Federal Discrimination Complaint (July 15, 2003)
Skilled gymnast was set for a key role in the Las Vegas show, "Mystere," only to be rejected because he has HIV, despite posing no safety risk.
- Volunteering for Smallpox Vaccination: Information for Health Care Workers (January 15, 2003)
A joint statement from Lambda Legal, amfAR, and the Gay and Lesbian Medical Association.
To read PDF, click here
- Americans With Disabilities Act Takes Another Hit in the Supreme Court (June 10, 2002)
- Lambda Legal Applauds Bill Requiring Comprehensive HIV Prevention Education in New York Prisons (April 18, 2002)
- U.S. Supreme Court to Hear Argument in Another Test for ADA (February 27, 2002)
- Lambda Issues 2001 World AIDS Day Report Card (November 29, 2001)
- U.S. Supreme Court Once Again Zeros in on ADA (November 1, 2001)
- HIV and Young People: The Crisis Is Now (July 6, 2001)
- Community Groups Demand Reinstatement of Bus Shelter Ad (June 28, 2001)
- Lambda Works With NCAC to Protest Abstinence-Only Sex Education (April 13, 2001)
- Court Strikes Down HIV Discriminatory Foster Care Ban (March 6, 2001)
- High Court Deletes Citizens' Remedy for Disability Discrimination (February 21, 2001)
- What 'To Do' About AIDS (February 12, 2001)
- Dental, Public Health Associations, and EEOC Challenge Firing of Hygienist With HIV (December 7, 2000)
- Lambda Issues 2000 World AIDS Day Report Card (November 27, 2000)
- "No Lost Causes" (October 1, 2000)
A national conference brings attention to growing plight of prisoners with HIV
- Insurance Company Rebuffed for Denying Benefits to Policyholders With AIDS (June 19, 2000)
- National Conference to Look at Plight of Prisoners With HIV (June 8, 2000)
- Warning: Your Medical Privacy Is at Risk (March 1, 2000)
- Comments on the Department of Health's Revised, Proposed Regulations Implementing the 1998 HIV Reporting and Partner Notification Law (Amending Articles 21 and 27 of the Public Health Law) (January 21, 2000)
- High Court Refuses Appeal by HIV+ Inmates Segregated in Alabama Prisons (January 18, 2000)
- U.S. Supreme Court Declines to Hear HIV Insurance Caps Case (January 10, 2000)
- Lambda Issues 1999 World AIDS Day Report Card (December 1, 1999)
- Status of the ADA for People With HIV: Not Dead Yet (October 1, 1999)
- AIDS Discrimination Isn't Over (June 30, 1999)
- Disappointing ADA Rulings Threaten Protections for Workers With Disabilities (June 23, 1999)
- Seventh Circuit Refuses to Apply ADA to Health Insurance Policies (June 3, 1999)
- Comments on the CDC's "Draft Guidelines for HIV Case Surveillance, Including Monitoring HIV Infection & AIDS" (January 11, 1999)
- A Brief Overview of Bragdon v. Abbott (Fall 1998)
- AIDS Project Director's Update: Bragdon v. Abbott: The Supreme Court Takes on HIV (Spring/Summer 1998)
- Mandatory HIV Case Reporting (Spring/Summer 1998)
- AIDS Project Director's Update: Inventing "AIDS Exceptionalism" (Winter 1998)
- Lambda AIDS Docket: AIDS-Related Discrimination (Fall 1997)
- The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act and Recent U.S. Supreme Court Decisions (Fall 1997)
- When Will They Learn? Spit Does Not Transmit! (Fall 1997)
- HIV-Related Testing Requirements & Restrictions for Entry Into Foreign Countries (June 1997)
- Lambda AIDS Docket: AIDS-Related Discrimination (Summer 1997)
- One (Very) Small Step for Health Care Reform: What Does the Kennedy-Kassebaum Health Coverage Act Mean for You? (Spring/Summer 1997)
- Lambda Fights Illegal, Widespread Practice: Mandatory HIV Testing and Disclosure (Spring/Summer 1997)
- Regulating the Right to Die: The Supreme Court Considers Physician-Assisted Suicide (Winter 1997)
- Lambda Expands Its Legal Staff (November 4, 1996)
- Compliance With Americans with Disability Act: Not For Government? (November 1996)
- AIDS Project Update (Summer 1996)
- AIDS Project: Moving Forward With the Movement (Winter 1996)
- Can They Ask Me That? (Winter 1996)
- AIDS Project Docket: AIDS-Related Discrimination (Fall 1995)
- Putting a Stop to Insurance Caps: Is Relief on the Way With the ADA? (Fall 1995)
- Suing Your Employer for HIV-Related Discrimination Under the ADA: How Disabled Is Too Disabled? (Fall 1995)
- If You Need to Sue the Bastards: Keeping Your Case and Your Confidentiality (Fall 1995)
- AIDS Law Updates (Fall 1995)
- An Ounce of Prevention? (Fall 1995)
- Lambda's AIDS Project: Making Strides in the Midwest (Summer 1995)
- The Lambda AIDS Project Review (Summer 1995)
- The Headlines Behind State of Mississippi v. McClendon (Summer 1995)
- Another Round in the Battle: The Rights of HIV-Positive Health Care Providers (Winter 1995)