Sexual Transmission of Hepatitis C: Are HIV-Positive Gay and Bisexual Men at Risk?
www.hepcinfo.ca -- CATIE Hepatitis C website
Hep C on the radar -- The Positive Side
Poz guys talk to Frank about sex and hepatitis C -- Health Initiative for Men (HIM)
Jeff Reinhart is the manager of the Hepatitis C Program at CATIE (Canadian AIDS Treatment Information Exchange). He has been working for the last three years to develop CATIE's Hepatitis C Program and has previous experience in non-profit project development in drug and alcohol use, social assistance, crisis intervention and HIV/AIDS programming.
- Greub G et al, Ledergerber B, Battegay M, et al. Clinical progression, survival, and immune recovery during antiretroviral therapy in patients with HIV-1 and hepatitis C virus coinfection: The Swiss HIV Cohort Study. Lancet. 2000; 359: 1800-5.
- Benhamou Y, Bochet M, Di Martino V, et al. Liver fibrosis progression in human immunodeficiency virus and hepatitis C coinfected patients. The Multivirc Group. Hepatology. 1999; 30:1054-1058.
- Cotler SJ and Jensen DM. Treatment of hepatitis C and HIV co-infections. Clinics in Liver Disease. 2001;5:1045-61.
- Lesens O, Deschênes M, Steben M, et al. Hepatitis C virus is related to progressive liver disease in human immunodeficiency virus-positive hemophiliacs and should be treated as an opportunistic infection. Journal of Infectious Diseases. 1999:179: 1254-8.
- Bica I, McGovern B, Dhar R, et al. Increasing mortality due to end-stage liver disease in patients with human immunodeficiency virus infection. Clinical Infectious Diseases. 2001;32:492-497.
- Owen G. An "elephant in the room"? Stigma and hepatitis C transmission among HIV-positive "serosorting" gay men. Culture, Health & Sexuality. 2008; 10 (6): 601-610.
- Remis R. Modeling the incidence and prevalence of Hepatitis C infection and its sequelae in Canada, 2007. Community Acquired Infections Division, Centre for Communicable Diseases and Infection Control, Infectious Disease and Emergency Preparedness Branch. Public Health Agency of Canada. 2007. [Accessed September 27, 2010.]
- Myers T, Allman D, Xu K, et al. The prevalence and correlates of hepatitis C virus (HCV) infection and HCV -- HIV co-infection in a community sample of gay and bisexual men. International Journal of Infectious Diseases. 2009;13:730-739.
- Anand CM, Fonseca K, Walle RP, et al. Antibody to hepatitis C virus in selected groups of a Canadian urban population. International Journal of Epidemiology. 1992; 21(1):142-145.
- Van de Laar TJ, Van der Bij AK, Prins M, et al. Increase in HCV incidence among men who have sex with men in Amsterdam most likely caused by sexual transmission. Journal of Infectious Diseases. 2007;196:230-238.
- Richardson D, Fisher M, Sabin CA. Sexual transmission of hepatitis C in MSM may not be confined to those with HIV infection. Journal of Infectious Diseases. 2008;197:1213-1214.
- Matthews GV, Hellard M, Kaldor J, et al. Further evidence of HCV sexual transmission among HIV-positive men who have sex with men: response to Danta et al. AIDS. 2007;21:2112-2113.
- Ghosn J, Deveau C, Goujard C, et al. Increase in hepatitis C virus incidence in HIV-1 infected patients followed up since primary infection. Sex Transm Infect. 2006;82:458-460.
- Hammer GP, Kellogg TA, McFarland WC, et al. Low incidence and prevalence of hepatitis C virus infection among sexually active non-intravenous drug-using adults, San Francisco, 1997-2000. Sexually Transmitted Diseases. 2003;30:919-924.
- Bodsworth NJ, Cunningham P, Kaldor J, Donovan B. Hepatitis C virus infection in a large cohort of homosexually active men: independent associations with HIV-1 infection and injecting drug use but not sexual behavior. Genitourinary Medicine. 1996;72:118-122.
- Urbanus A, Van de Laar TJ, Stolte IG, et al. Hepatitis C virus infections among HIV-infected men who have sex with men: an expanding epidemic. AIDS. 2009;23:F1-F7.10-16.
- Buffington J, Murray PJ, Schlanger K, et al. Low prevalence of hepatitis C virus antibody in men who have sex with men who do not inject drugs. Public Health Reports. 2007;122:63-67.
- D'Oliveira A Jr, Voirin N, Allard R, et al. Prevalence and sexual risk of hepatitis C virus infection when human immunodeficiency virus was acquired through sexual intercourse among patients of the Lyon University Hospitals, France, 1992-2002. Journal of Viral Hepatitis. 2005;12:330-332.
- Lama JR, Lucchetti A, Cabezas C, et al. Lack of evidence of hepatitis C and HIV co-infection among men who have sex with men in Peru. American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene. 2009;81:184-186.
- Kim JH, Psevdos G Jr, Suh J, Sharp VL. Co-infection of hepatitis B and hepatitis C virus in human immunodeficiency virus-infected patients in New York City,United States. World Journal of Gastroenterology. 2008;14:6689-6693.
- Ruf M, Cohuet S, Maguire H, et al. Setting up an enhanced surveillance of newly acquired hepatitis C infection in men who have sex with men: a pilot in London and south east region of England. Euro Surveillance. 2008;13:pii: 19042.
- Jin F, Prestage GP, Matthews GV, et al. Prevalence, incidence and risk factors for hepatitis C in homosexual men: data from two cohorts of HIV negative and HIV positive men in Sydney, Australia. Sexually Transmitted Infections. 2010;86:25-28.
- Danta M, Brown D, Bhagani S, et al. Recent epidemic of acute hepatitis C virus in HIV-positive men who have sex with men linked to high-risk sexual behaviour. AIDS. 2007; 21: 983-991.
- Leruez-Ville M, Kunstmann JM, De Almeida M, et al. Detection of hepatitis C virus in the semen of infected men. Lancet. 2000: 356:42-43.
- Nyamathi A. Presence and predictors of hepatitis C virus RNA in the semen of homeless men. Biological Research for Nursing. 2002;4:22-30.
- Cavalheiro NP, Santos AC, Melo CE, et al. Hepatitis C virus detection in the semen of infected patients. Br Journal of Infectious Diseases. 2008:358-361.
- Debono E, Halfon P, Bourliere M, et al. Absence of hepatitis C genome in semen of infected men by polymerase chain reaction, branched DNA and in situ hybridization. Liver. 2000;20:257-261.
- Tohme RA & Holmberg SD. Is sexual contact a mode of hepatitis C virus transmission? Hepatology. 2010.
No comments have been made.
Internet search results. Be careful when providing personal information! Before
adding your comment, please read TheBody.com's Comment Policy.)