Print this page    •   Back to Web version of article

U.S. News
Mississippi: Organization Empowers Women and Girls to Be HIV-Free

March 14, 2011

On Thursday, National Women and Girls HIV/AIDS Awareness Day, representatives from the South Mississippi AIDS Task Force visited students at Gulfport High to talk about preventing the disease. All too often, teens' knowledge of sex and STDs comes from other teens, said SMATF's Trinette Crump.


"I enjoy coming to the high school because I'm able to reach girls from age 14, 15, up to the age of 18," Crump said. "You're able to give out information to the teens that they can go home and discuss with their parents [and] with their other peers so they can become more educated and more involved."

"When the girls visit the table, we talk to them about abstinence. Abstinence is the only for-sure way to stay HIV-negative," Crump explained. "The other thing we talk to them about is prevention. How to prevent themselves from being HIV-positive, also from contracting an STD."

Crump said it is sometimes easier for teens to talk with an adult other than a parent. "They're ashamed or don't know how to start the conversation with their parents," she noted. She encourages students to ask questions about anything that prompts their curiosity.

SMATF data show 204 people ages 13-24 in the six southern-most counties are HIV-positive.

Back to other news for March 2011

Excerpted from: (Biloxi)
03.10.2011; Danielle Thomas

This article was provided by CDC National Prevention Information Network. It is a part of the publication CDC HIV/Hepatitis/STD/TB Prevention News Update. You can find this article online by typing this address into your Web browser:

General Disclaimer: is designed for educational purposes only and is not engaged in rendering medical advice or professional services. The information provided through should not be used for diagnosing or treating a health problem or a disease. It is not a substitute for professional care. If you have or suspect you may have a health problem, consult your health care provider.