HIV/AIDS Resource Center for African Americans
Kai Chandler Lois Crenshaw Gary Paul Wright Fortunata Kasege Keith Green Lois Bates Greg Braxton Vanessa Austin Bernard Jackson

If You Let Me Into Your Life, I Will Never Ever Leave You

February 7, 2011

Bernard Jackson

Bernard Jackson

In his work as an HIV prevention specialist, Bernard Jackson has observed how "clever" HIV can be -- often entering people's lives when they are both vulnerable and unaware of their vulnerability. So, he decided to try writing in the virus' voice.

I will be here for you always if you let me in. I am more than you could ever dream. I will be there for you when no one else will. I do not care if you have millions of dollars or just one cent to your name.

People always tell you that you will never have a connection with me because you do not travel in the right circles or because you are married already so you will never meet me. However, trust me when I tell you these things, I want to be with you no matter what and I will use even your best lover to get close to you.

I know that they did not see me coming in the door with them the other night but once they invited me in and I saw you, I knew I wanted you too. So just remember: if you think that you can't have me simply because you don't hang out with the people who know me and so you'll never have to worry, just let your guard down and I promise you that I will take advantage of that one night you let your guard down. I will be there for you and the only way you will know that I am there is if that busybody OraQuick tells you. It will only take 20 minutes to stop me from giving you all I have to give. Hello, my name is HIV.

If you think there is no way for you to meet me face to face, let your guard down and I will be there forever and ever.

GET TESTED -- NEGATIVE OR POSITIVE, IT COULD SAVE YOUR LIFE!

Bernard Jackson is a prevention specialist at Northern Virginia AIDS Ministry. He was diagnosed with HIV in 1999.

2013 Poetry Month at TheBody.com: HIV/AIDS-Related Poems From Our Readers
A Message From Your Poetry Editor
2012 Poetry Month at TheBody.com
2011 Poetry Month at TheBody.com
2010 Poetry Month at TheBody.com
More HIV/AIDS-Related Poetry

Comment by: Khanyisani (Richmond) Sat., Aug. 25, 2012 at 12:28 am EDT
Good people hiv kills,lets us be carefull whenever doing things that can lead ur to many oppotunities of getting it.hiv doesn't speak so don't be ruled buy something with no say.

Comment by: Sharon S. (Zimbabwe) Thu., Jun. 28, 2012 at 2:19 pm EDT
love the poem. Definfitely gives me the chills....

Comment by: David T. (Maryland) Thu., Apr. 5, 2012 at 3:47 pm EDT
When are you going to do more writing ? I have heard you speak before in Virginia and would like to know if you will do more of that as well. I got so very much from hearing your story.The things you said I have never forgotten! I was inspired to not give up ! Thanks so much!

Comment by: nahyah (pompano) Wed., Jan. 25, 2012 at 7:53 pm EST
This is truly deep. I wish this site offered support for younger people with AIDS/HIV.
Comment by: Bernard (Virginia) Tue., Feb. 7, 2012 at 2:04 pm EST
Thanks so much for your comment ! I hope that in the very near future there will be an opportunity to get more info out there for our youth. I hope to soon start a regular blog on The Body and I will touch on subjects that affect and hope will reach out to youth .

Comment by: Anonymous Sat., Aug. 20, 2011 at 10:14 am EDT
Great,I think it's right what is said.People should understand the condition they can be in

Comment by: Harvett (East Cleveland, OH) Thu., Jul. 7, 2011 at 8:28 pm EDT

I love it! Very creative, very to the point!

Comment by: Walter L. (New York) Mon., Mar. 14, 2011 at 2:34 pm EDT
Thanks for sharing this . I love it!!

Comment by: Debbie (New York) Thu., Feb. 24, 2011 at 1:12 pm EST
read this to my daughters, they have a new attitude about having sex! Thanks I really like this!

Comment by: David K. (Washington D.C.) Wed., Feb. 16, 2011 at 3:25 pm EST
I have heard you speak here in the D.C. area Mr Jackson. I found my soul being touched ! Thank you for the work that you are doing and for the many lives that are being saved .This is a captivating writing and should published in many other areas.My hat goes off to you sir!!

Comment by: Kenney (DC) Mon., Feb. 14, 2011 at 3:55 pm EST
All I have to say is, wow. Reading this makes me shiver all over. How many times have we been at that most vulnerable moment when we contemplate using protection or simply hoping our partners are STD free? But...what if they're wondering the same thing too? Gambling with a life-changing disease like HIV is too big a gamble to take. Thank you for personifying HIV and having us look at it from a different perspective. I'll always remember HIV spreads -- only if I let it.

Comment by: Wanda V. James (Los Angeles, CA) Thu., Feb. 10, 2011 at 3:08 am EST
Hi Bernard,

This article was well written and cute but not funny because HIV/AIDS is no joke. One night of pleasure for a lifetime of pain does not equal out by any means. All I can say is love your body more than your booty or your boo.

I was diagnosed in 1995, lost all of my friends to HIV/AIDS, the medications is kicking my butt, I stay in therapy, and feel like I'm living in a bubble sometimes. However, I wouldn't trade being here with all of the people that love me for anything. There are not enough words to express our heart felt thanks to the countless people who have suffered and fought with us in this battle to live.

It was God that brought me through and I believe that he will keep me. I pray that everyone find the strength to continue fighting for a long, joyous, and peaceful life.

Yes HIV/AIDS is a very clever virus but it is not smarter than us. In order to stop the spread of this menace HIV/AIDS, we must learn to make wiser and healthier choices. So far we are winning the battle but the war is far from over, who will be the winner in the end; "The Humans or The HIV/AIDS Virus." It is a matter of life or death.

Much love from your Sister in the struggle.

Comment by: Will (DC Metro) Wed., Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:13 pm EST
If people only knew what they don't know or look past those good looks and slick talk. They'd realize this thing has not respect of class or color. Thank you for putting this in such a manner that makes you to read more and hopefully will make people realize all that glitters isn't gold and that they should get tested.

Comment by: Sheron Walters-Lopez (Washington, DC) Tue., Feb. 8, 2011 at 12:44 pm EST
Mr. Bernard, your article was both educational and inspiring. It was well written and kept me hanging on to every word. You gave HIV a realistic voice that should scare the “bee-Jesus” out of each person who reads it; thus causing behavioral changes and summoning courage, as well as just cause, to get tested, immediately and often.

Comment by: Lisa (San Antonio, Texas) Mon., Feb. 7, 2011 at 11:20 am EST
I like this 7 have posted it to my Facebook page to share with others. It was very creative.
Thanks for sharing! Keep up the creativity!