My Christmas Proposal

By Robert Breining

December 31, 2010

My Christmas Proposal

This Holiday season was one for the record books and is one I will never forget. Joe made his famous Christmas cookies. He made Chocolate chip with walnuts, White & Milk Chocolate Macadamia Nut and Sugar cookies.While Making the sugar cookies I asked Joe to make a red ribbon for me. It came out great. I still haven't eaten it yet. LOL For the last 2 years spent we have spent Christmas eve night at my older sisters house. This is when we exchange gifts with my family and spend some quality time with them. Since the passing of my Dad, which feels like yesterday, but has been 10 years, I come to cherish the moments spent with my family members. From weddings, birthdays, holidays, driving them to a Dr. appointment or Black Friday shopping.

These moments are what make my life worth living. My Dad left this world before I could realize this. Before I could express who I was and how I felt without screaming to or running away from it all to get high. I felt my dad around us during the holidays. I know he sees what is happening with us all but I still crave that physical part of having a Dad. I am sure if you lost a parent you know what I mean when I talk about the physical aspect. So this year Joe and I got my Mom a ticket to go see Annie the Musical in Media,PA in January which stars the hilarious Wanda Sykes as Miss Hannigan. Of course Joe and I will be her chaperons. My Niece Abby is 3 years old and is at the perfect age for Christmas. She was so excited for Santa to come this year. This year she was into Toy Story 3 and Batman of all things. So shopping for her was fun. I found myself always picking up things to give her.

My Christmas Proposal

On Christmas morning. I woke up at 8am like a little kid excited for Santa's arrival. I remember waking up turning on the coffee maker and then I sat on the couch and turned the TV on. Joe finally got up around 10am. We started opening our gifts around 11am. Joe got me some amazing things this year, a Keurig Coffee Maker, GLEE CDs, Wii games, FCKH8 T-shirt and a Snuggie to name a few. After the gifts were opened we then moved over to our stockings. Where we both found scratch offs and other goodies. I thought I was done then Joe reached down to the bottom of my stocking and handed me one last gift. I unwrapped it and saw a small box. Joe then grabbed it from me and opened it to reveal a beautiful ring. He then knelt on one knee and said " Will you be my forever ?" I was in total shock, this was totally unexpected. I of course looked him in the eyes and said YES followed by a huge kiss.

My Christmas Proposal

After the proposal I had a flashback to when I was first diagnosed in 2001. When the doctor first told me I was HIV+. I remember thinking I was never going to find a partner to spend my life with and I would be alone forever. I thought "Who would love me now that I am HIV+". But at that time I was not as educated nor as confident about my status as I am today. So looking back at it now..this proposal was a milestone I thought I would never experience. As a gay boy growing up I never thought marriage could happen to me. It was a fairy tale I lived out in my dreams when I went to bed. With the new FCKH8 Campaign, I know one day soon gay marriages will be held throughout the entire United States. As a human being how can we not allow another human being to experience love and commitment. I am just so confused to why it is taking so long. I just hope I live to see it. I am so excited to say that I am engaged. It feels great to know I found someone who is supportive and who unconditionally loves me all of the time. Even at my bitchiest which is sometimes on a daily basis. No date has been set for those who want to know. I am enjoying this new transition in my life and I look forward to sharing it with you as this new journey continues.

My Christmas Proposal

The year 2010 is coming to a end very quickly. I have spent the last few days thinking of all things I have experienced and people I have met and new friends I have made over the last year. I am very thankful for them all. In 2011 I will spend more time focused on my activism. I have made a commitment to myself that 2011 will be the year for me and POZIAM. I am ready to speak out more and provide a voice for others who are too ashamed to speak. Too many HIV+ individuals live in shame. I am ready to fight for the rights of those LIVING with HIV/AIDS with everything I have. I know I was placed in these situations because of my own actions but I know there is a bigger plan for me. I have a mission and I am determined to accomplish it. If I continue to surround my self with positive things and people I will gain prosperity.

Send Robert an e-mail.

Get e-mail notifications every time Robert's blog is updated.

More Viewpoints Related to HIV/AIDS Among Gay Men

Comment by: Nick (Baltimore, MD) Fri., Jan. 7, 2011 at 2:36 pm EST
Thanks for posting your story. You have given me a little more hope!!!
Comment by: Robert Breining Fri., Jan. 7, 2011 at 4:18 pm EST
I am glad my story has given you some hope. :)

Comment by: norris r (long beach, ca) Thu., Jan. 6, 2011 at 2:13 pm EST
Great story, I really want to thank u for sharing this with us (me)
Comment by: Robert Breining Fri., Jan. 7, 2011 at 4:19 pm EST
Your welcome thanks for reading my blog :)

Comment by: Ryan (Paris, France) Thu., Jan. 6, 2011 at 1:39 pm EST
Great story - and congratulations !! Makes me want to get out there right now to find my Mr Right ;-)
Comment by: Robert Breining Fri., Jan. 7, 2011 at 4:20 pm EST
You should... Mr. Right could pass you by sitting on the sideline :) Best of luck looking for him

Comment by: Brian (Houston, TX) Thu., Jan. 6, 2011 at 12:59 pm EST
It is good to start 2011 in such a positive note.
Congratulations to you, and may your love last forever and a day!
Comment by: Robert Breining Fri., Jan. 7, 2011 at 4:20 pm EST

Comment by: Susan Young (Ontario, Canada) Thu., Jan. 6, 2011 at 12:49 pm EST
What a beautiful story full of great pictures and memories. Congratulations on your engagement and on how your life has turned around. Your dad would be proud and he'd definitely give you a giant-sized DAD hug!!

My boys love their father and he loves them back so dramatically. There is no distinction between our gay son and our other "undeclared" son and he even gives hugs to my gay son's partner.

Fathers are special and I'm glad that your dad was around you in spirit to share in your joy this holiday season.
Comment by: Robert Breining Fri., Jan. 7, 2011 at 4:21 pm EST
AHHH thanks for saying that Susan.It made me smile

Comment by: maryelleln (spokane) Thu., Jan. 6, 2011 at 12:37 pm EST
What a really great and wonderful story to read this morning. Your real life fairytale made me smile. Congratulations!
Comment by: Robert Breining Fri., Jan. 7, 2011 at 4:21 pm EST
Thanks for your comment..I am glad it made you smile

Comment by: Mark S. King (Fort Lauderdale, FL) Thu., Jan. 6, 2011 at 12:23 pm EST
Your lover had me with the chocolate chip cookies.

This has got to be the most romantic posting I've seen here in ages. And how great is that? We live, we love, and life brings us the same joy as people living with HIV as it does everyone else.

Congratulations, Robert!
Comment by: Robert Breining Fri., Jan. 7, 2011 at 4:22 pm EST
Oh Mark .. You crack me up.. He does make fabulous cookies..LOL - Thanks for being a friend Mark. I hope one day soon we will meet in person so we can laugh together ..