Index of Articles From New York City Department of Health
- Health Department Expands Vaccination Recommendations for Men at Greatest Risk for Contracting Meningitis (November 29, 2012)
Two new cases of meningitis among men who have sex with men were reported over the past five weeks.
- Meningococcal Outbreak Patient Fact Sheet (October 5, 2012)
- New York City Health Department Recommends Vaccination for HIV-Positive Men at High Risk of Meningitis (October 4, 2012)
Free vaccinations available beginning Friday, October 5 for people who cannot get vaccine from their health care provider.
- Health Department Announces 41% Drop in HIV/AIDS Related Deaths Among Black New Yorkers (February 7, 2012)
National Black HIV/AIDS Awareness Day, Feb. 7, reminds New Yorkers to get tested, take steps to prevent HIV.
- HIV Testing Is Now a Routine Part of Health Care in New York (September 1, 2010)
Change in state law requires health professionals to offer voluntary HIV tests to patients 13 to 64 years old. New law also simplifies informed consent process, allowing for verbal consent in some circumstances.
- Health Department Reports 75% of New Yorkers Living With HIV/AIDS Are 40 or Older and More Than a Third Are Over 50 (July 15, 2010)
Women over 50 comprise growing percentage of new HIV diagnoses among older adults.
- Health Department Highlights Health Risks of Unprotected Anal Sex Among Heterosexual Women in New York City (April 21, 2010)
New survey suggests that women are less likely than men to use protection during anal intercourse.
- New Yorkers Choose Queens Designer's Power Button Image as Winner of the NYC Condom Package Design Contest (March 9, 2010)
Online vote was a tight race to the finish among the five finalists; top design will be used this fall to encourage safer sex in the city.
- Women, Unprotected Anal Sex and HIV Risk (PDF) (February 2010)
- Health Department Invites New Yorkers to Submit Designs for a Special, Limited-Edition NYC Condom Wrapper (December 15, 2009)
Entries due no later than January 22nd.
- Marking World AIDS Day, the NYC Health Department Reports That HIV Infections Continue to Rise Among Young Men Who Have Sex With Men; New Studies Confirm Risky Behaviors (December 1, 2009)
Brooklyn Bridge lights will be turned off in commemoration of World AIDS Day.
- New York City Health Department Announces 28 Percent Increase in HIV Testing Since Launch of "The Bronx Knows" Initiative One Year Ago (June 23, 2009)
HIV testing initiative is more than half way to meeting its three-year goal of helping 250,000 Bronx residents learn their status.
- Swine Influenza: Information for Parents (April 26, 2009)
To read PDF, click here
- NYC Condom Gets a New Page for Valentine's Day (February 11, 2009)
- Health Department Releases Estimate of Yearly HIV Infections (August 27, 2008)
CDC method suggests the virus is spreading in New York City at three times the national rate.
- Survey Finds Genital Herpes Is Common Among New Yorkers (June 9, 2008)
Condoms can protect against infection.
- Health Department Releases New NYC Condom Wrapper (February 13, 2008)
More than 36 million NYC condoms given out last year.
- Nearly One Fifth of New York City Adults Are Putting Themselves at Risk for HIV Infection (January 10, 2008)
Ninety percent of those at risk don't perceive the danger.
- New HIV Diagnoses Rising in New York City Among Young Men Who Have Sex With Men (July 11, 2007)
Young blacks and hispanics hit hardest.
- New York City Syphilis Cases Double in First Quarter of 2007 (July 9, 2007)
Most cases among HIV-positive men who have sex with men; Health Department reminds sexually active New Yorkers to limit sex partners & use condoms.
- Health Department Launches the Nation's First Official City Condom (February 14, 2007)
- Statement by New York City Health Commissioner Dr. Thomas R. Frieden on Rare Strain of HIV in a New York City Resident (February 24, 2005)
- New York City Resident Diagnosed With Rare Strain of Multi-Drug Resistant HIV That Rapidly Progresses to AIDS (February 11, 2005)
- Two New York City Residents Diagnosed With Rare Sexually Transmitted Infection; Same Strain Found in Europe (February 2, 2005)
- Responses to an Urban HIV/AIDS Epidemic: New York City Models (June 2001)
A satellite program in connection with the United Nations General Assembly Special Session on HIV/AIDS.
- HIV Reporting and Partner Notification -- What You Need to Know About the Law (July 2000)