Print this page    •   Back to Web version of article

Self-Advocacy: Getting Ready to Start
Part Three of Three in Project Inform's "Considering Treatment and Your Health Care" Booklet

January 2013

Getting Your Health Care Covered

You may never need to file for disability, but for simplicity we present these options in terms of pre- and post-disability. Disability is a formal claim that must be made with your doctor and approved by Social Security. To find programs you may be eligible for, it's important to consult local resources such as benefits counselors, case managers, social workers or attorneys as programs differ greatly from state to state.

If You Haven't Filed for Disability


If You Have an Approved Disability Claim

Other Possible Sources of Help

Helpful Resources

Is Your Doctor Experienced in Treating HIV?

You will need to find a doctor who's able and willing to treat HIV, ideally one who already has experience with HIV. Depending on how and where you get health care, you may not have many choices.

Experienced doctors usually keep up with recent developments in treating HIV. They also have a better sense of preventive health care. If you can, it's also important to find other doctors like gynecologists, eye doctors and dentists who have HIV experience.

Doctors with less or no HIV experience may need to consult resources that can help them provide the best medical care for you. Resources are available that can help you and your doctor make informed decisions.

The WarmLine (National HIV/AIDS Clinicians' Consultation Center) provides expert clinical advice to medical professionals. It's available Monday-Friday, 8am-8pm, Eastern Time. (See below.)

Helpful Resources

Important Questions

For Your Doctor

For Others

Checklist for Getting Started

Previous: Health -- Your Ability To Start And Maintain
Table of Contents

This article was provided by Project Inform. You can find this article online by typing this address into your Web browser:

General Disclaimer: is designed for educational purposes only and is not engaged in rendering medical advice or professional services. The information provided through should not be used for diagnosing or treating a health problem or a disease. It is not a substitute for professional care. If you have or suspect you may have a health problem, consult your health care provider.