Questions and Answers Related to HIV/AIDS

Got questions about living with HIV/AIDS? Check out the listing below for some of the most useful reader questions and expert answers from TheBody.com's "Ask the Experts" forums on topics of concern to gay men. And if you don't see your questions below -- or on one of our other frequently asked questions pages -- you can e-mail your questions to TheBody.com's team of HIV/AIDS experts!

Taking HIV Meds and Other Health Issues | Sexual Risk and HIV Transmission | Insurance and Legal Issues | Anal Cancers, HPV and HIV | Mixed-Status Couples | Serosorting | Nutrition and Fitness | Other Complications of HIV

Taking HIV Meds and Other Health Issues

Read frequently asked questions on starting treatment, life expectancy, CD4 counts and viral load testing.

Sexual Risk and HIV Transmission

Read more frequently asked questions on HIV risks.

Insurance and Legal Issues

Read more frequently asked questions on insurance.

Anal Cancers, HPV and HIV

Read more about anal cancer and HIV/AIDS.

Mixed-Status Couples

Read more frequently asked questions on mixed-status relationships.

Serosorting

Ask TheBody.com's safer sex expert, Robert Frascino, M.D., questions about serosorting.

Read more frequently asked questions on HIV superinfection.

Nutrition and Fitness

Ask TheBody.com's nutrition and exercise expert, Nelson Vergel, questions about fitness.

Other Complications of HIV

Ask Keith Henry, M.D., TheBody.com's expert on managing side effects, about complications of HIV and HIV meds.

Read frequently asked questions on other HIV/AIDS topics.

You can also subscribe to TheBody.com's Hot Topics newsletter to receive recent answers to questions posed at TheBody.com's "Ask the Experts" forums. Take a look at past Hot Topics newsletters!

Comment by: getrude (kenya) Mon., Nov. 18, 2013 at 9:00 am EST
Hi ALL
I am in a dilemma, there is boy that I like very very much and I have a crush on him. But I could not approach him to date me because of my status. I am HIV+. pLEASE HELP SOMEBODY

Comment by: Miller (San Francisco,CA) Wed., Jul. 10, 2013 at 8:52 pm EDT
Is there a medicine that can reduce lipodysrophy from around the neck and jowls . People tell me I look OK but I am very self concious about it ? Help if you can

Comment by: jitesh (India) Sat., May. 11, 2013 at 6:39 am EDT
yesterday i had unprotective sex with stranger woman without knowing her hiv status.But now i am worried if i could get hiv disease. She is ungandan.tell me how early i could detect whether i am hiv infected or not.

Comment by: Randy (Connecticut ) Fri., Sep. 16, 2011 at 2:06 am EDT
I'm 38 and postive as of yesterday. I AM Sick and scared I am going to try to fight it but I am so brocken. I have no support or insurance and had one partner since divorce. I have 6 kids. Plz pray I find strength to fight.

Comment by: steve l. (Ohio) Wed., Mar. 23, 2011 at 10:09 pm EDT
Ive been on hiv meds several yrs now,labs are great being cd-4 is 700's and vl is 20.
ive known people to take half dose instead of full dose,and it works for them!
I want to take 1/2 dose myself,especially since im healthy and great labs.Ive cut back,lowered doses and stopped several other meds due to side affects from HIV meds,the less i take,the better i feel.Need more info/links on this HIV 1/2 dose,anyone hearring *anything good from doing this?...my friend being 26yrs poz has been taking half dose HIV meds for several yrs now and says his labs are better than theyve been in many years,and feels much better as well.thanx,steve

Comment by: Gerhard (South Africa) Wed., Feb. 23, 2011 at 2:51 am EST
My doctor has prescribed Truvada and Stocrin, a treatment that has been working well for me, but now my new medical aid provider has decided to send me Tyricten and Aspen Efavirenz instead. Tyricten seems like a generic for Truvada produced by the Indian company Aurobindo. Should I be worried?

I would really appreciate a reply!
Gerhard

Comment by: lisa (new york) Fri., Aug. 27, 2010 at 10:32 pm EDT
i am going to school to become a dental hygienist should i disclose my status to the school and also when i take the boards will my status showed up has being HIV postive.Also do i have to disclose my status to my patients when i start practing

Comment by: Marcus (Miami) Mon., Jun. 28, 2010 at 3:54 pm EDT
I coordinate a project for YMSM; a participant of the project recently tested postivie and want to pursue legal actions against the person he feel is responsible. what are some of the challeges he will be confronted with? Also, would you be able to provide similar cases for references and any legal assistance or contacts to follow up with?