My Fabulous Disease

Facing Change

A Video Blog

By Mark S. King

March 16, 2010

I recently made the move from my beloved Atlanta back to Fort Lauderdale, and it's been tough saying goodbye to my friends, my doctor and my support system. And the physical act of moving is hard. I've had to decide what is worth keeping and what to finally give up.

In this video episode, I share the personal reason I chose Fort Lauderdale over Atlanta (it wasn't the weather). And since I never can resist absurdity, something a bit surreal happens along the way. When you're packing alone, you have to converse with something. (Thanks to my set decorators, Jenifer and Bobbin.)

Episode 15: Facing Change

Are you traveling light these days? Are you holding on to old items (and behaviors) that don't fit anymore? What's worth keeping in your life? As always, I love reading your comments (Hello, Drew from Sydney! How's it going, Cowboy Larry! Diana, Jose, Brian, Scotty ...).

In the meantime, my friends, please be well.

Mark

p.s. I'm thrilled to announce I will serve as M.C. for the HIV Cruise Retreat this October 23-31. It's a volunteer gig for me and a limited number of partial scholarships are available. Go to www.hivcruise.com to find out more!

Editor's note -- UPDATE, 3/23/10: Due to extremely high response, the scholarship capacity has been reached.

Send Mark an e-mail.

Visit Mark's live blog at www.MyFabulousDisease.com.

Ask Our Expert, David Fawcett, Ph.D., L.C.S.W., About Substance Use and HIV
More First-Person Stories on Substance Abuse and HIV/AIDS

Comment by: Marc Manley (Kansas City, MO) Thu., Apr. 1, 2010 at 10:56 am EDT
Thanx for sharing Mark and congrats!! Many beautifil memories ahead of you.

Be Well. And Stay Tooned!!

w/ much LoVE#
MM

Comment by: Betty Brown (Houston, TX) Fri., Mar. 26, 2010 at 9:56 am EDT
Love your website. This video was very funny, lol. Keep bring Positive hope to Positive People.

Comment by: Daniel (Washington , DC) Thu., Mar. 25, 2010 at 1:03 am EDT
Mark, I have been following your life off and on for quite awhile via TheBody.com. You seem like such a nice guy, almost like a friend I've never met. As a fellow HIVer and a fellow recovering addict (20+ years, thanks God) I wish you all the best in yur new adventure of life. I need reminders that my life is not over yet :)

Comment by: Rich (Boston) Mon., Mar. 22, 2010 at 11:29 pm EDT
Mark,
Thanks for your Vidio Blog. I always look forward to new instalments! So glad to hear you got back together with your ex, have a safe move back to Lauderdale and be sure to let us (your fans) know how it went!

Comment by: Robin P (Atlanta) Sat., Mar. 20, 2010 at 12:24 pm EDT
Best Wishes to you. Have a wonderful and happy life.

Comment by: Jonathan (San Francisco, CA) Fri., Mar. 19, 2010 at 4:46 pm EDT
Hi Mark,

Another wonderfully designed, written, heartfelt, pithy, poignant, episode with an underlying message. Keep up your positive enthusiasm for your next life's chapter with your recycled sweetie.

Cordially,
JG in SF

Comment by: PSueC (Kansas City, Mo) Fri., Mar. 19, 2010 at 2:49 pm EDT
You look great. It's so true about letting go and moving on. I'm in that stage now and feel the fear of a a new chapter and where it will take me.

Comment by: Kirk (Dallas, TX) Fri., Mar. 19, 2010 at 2:32 pm EDT
Mark,
As always, thank you for sharing your heart. I am experiencing a career change. I am afraid but your conversation helped me. I desire to keep some important things rather than trash them. Well, I love you for remembering your friend from college. It made me cry. Finally, I am so excited for you in re-starting and beginning in other ways, this relationship. I wish you two the very best that life has to offer.
Lots of love!

Comment by: Philip Paul Kelly (New York City) Thu., Mar. 18, 2010 at 9:52 pm EDT
Hey Mark King, Really enjoyed your video message. It was entertaining and actually touching to hear about the good change that you're experiencing.

Best of luck with everything ! :-)

Comment by: Brian Barber (Irvine, Ca.) Thu., Mar. 18, 2010 at 7:40 pm EDT
Glad your doing well , Mark ... Boy, we could talk.May you have joy and love in Ft. Lauderdale.
Thank, again for the smile.
Brian

Comment by: Robert (Memphis) Thu., Mar. 18, 2010 at 7:14 pm EDT
Will be relocating myself soon, Scaling down a great deal to live a simpler life with less "things". I thought this video blog would be insightful and helpful. Sorry, but it just seemed silly to me.

Comment by: SHerri Lewis (Hollywood, CA) Wed., Mar. 17, 2010 at 8:55 pm EDT
Fantastic video but the best is your story of hope and love and faith. Recovery is the best deal in town. I am grateful for it and I am grateful to share that experience with you. Second step, hope comes through loud and clear. Congrats on your MC Cruise. I love Paul and wish you all a fabulous time!
Sherri oxoxo

Comment by: Brian (East Texas) Wed., Mar. 17, 2010 at 11:51 am EDT
Another entertaining and thoughtful video from the "King of Video Blogs"! Thank you, Mark. (I LOVE your drag,dahling,but your pocketbook is on fire!) Keep 'em comin', Mark. Your biggest fan, Brian.

Comment by: Ben (Ft. Lauderdale, FL) Wed., Mar. 17, 2010 at 10:01 am EDT
This was a very good episode of the blog and showed you going through a big change lots of people have to face these days. The Mark in a box was cute.

Comment by: David (Malaysia (Asia)) Wed., Mar. 17, 2010 at 9:14 am EDT
Keep up the good work Mark. This is really beneficial and life enhancing for those just diagnosed that life does not end here but it still goes on with hope and everything else.

Comment by: Mike Kennedy (Charlotte, NC) Wed., Mar. 17, 2010 at 8:46 am EDT
Mark -

Congrats on the move back to FL and the reconnection! I still remember the movie of your first cruise - have a great time. Come see us in Charlotte, the Queen City! Diane sends her love, we are trying to pick a college for James and Daniel is in high school.

Mike

Mike

Comment by: Bill A (Atlanta, GA) Wed., Mar. 17, 2010 at 6:14 am EDT
You are missed. I'm happy for you and Ben.

Comment by: Bobby (Minneapolis, MN) Wed., Mar. 17, 2010 at 12:07 am EDT
Wow! I had no idea you were leaving Atlanta, sponsee brother. Of course, I went missing the end of last June and ended up in Minneapolis for rehab and decided to listen to advice (for once in my life) and leave Atlanta as well. The time we spent in Atlanta together was wonderful. I miss you. I was making a gratitude list this morning though when I was feeling a little down for no real reason and one of the things I was grateful for was my multitude of sober friends all over the country. I guess now I have one less in Atlanta and one more in Fort Lauderdale. I love you, Mark!

Bobby

Comment by: Robert Meek (Loris, South Carolina, USA) Tue., Mar. 16, 2010 at 11:20 pm EDT
As Miss FiFi, her Royal Poodleness, who Reigns Supreme here in her Kingdom of My House, would say, "It was positively FANTABULOUS and INSPIRATIONAL!"

And she's right of course. (Never mind the fact that this Old Antique "dog" of ME is at least smart enough to know to never argue with her! So happens, this time, she's RIGHT!!!)

Comment by: Ted (Louisville, KY) Tue., Mar. 16, 2010 at 8:08 pm EDT
Love your video blogs. Stuart Smalley comes to mind when I watched this one...lol. Best of luck in Florida.

Comment by: Ed (Palm Springs, CA) Tue., Mar. 16, 2010 at 7:06 pm EDT
Way to go Mark!!! I am glad that you are making a go of it again with your former and now current partner. Your words of wisdom made me tear up and feel joy about what what my first partner and I had. (he past away almost 5 years ago) Don't forget those words of yours, let your partner know each day how lucky you feel to be able to share your life with him, as well he should let you know. Best of luck and stay strong!

Comment by: Jenifer (Atlanta, GA ) Tue., Mar. 16, 2010 at 6:28 pm EDT
Brilliant segment! Thanks for the shout out. xo