A Facial Wasting Update

A Video Blog

By Mark S. King

February 2, 2010

Hello my friends,

There was a lot of interest in my earlier video blog "Treating My Facial Wasting," so I wanted to give you an update by taking you along on my third visit to Dr. Gerald Pierone.

The earlier blog covered my personal issues dealing with the effects of my (mild to moderate) wasting, so this video blog is a more straightforward approach to the procedure from Dr. Pierone's perspective. If you have questions about these treatments, Dr. Pierone is a contributor to TheBody.com's "Ask the Experts" forums and you can pose them directly to him.

Some of the comments from the original blog were critical of how overly lighted my face appeared during the "big reveal" at the end of the video. I take responsibility for that. It was my own vanity, wanting to look nice after the treatment and after having felt the depressing effects of the wasting for a while, and I never meant to be misleading. I made sure I am shown clearly throughout this video.

Episode 13: A Facial Wasting Update

Importantly, neither myself nor Dr. Pierone received compensation or input from the makers of the products used in the procedure. This blog represents my experiences as a man with HIV and there is no "promotional consideration" going on here. (OK, I was once sent free padded butt shorts I later used in "When My T Cells are Old and Gray," but that's another story.)

Your comments and support mean the world to me. Watch for another update coming: another night of laughter and secrets with the men featured in my "You Gotta Have Friends" video blog (which I could easily rename "The Real Poz Guys of Atlanta").

In the meantime, my friends, please be well.

Mark

Send Mark an e-mail.

Visit Mark's live blog at www.MyFabulousDisease.com.

An HIVer's Guide to Metabolic Complications
TheBody.com's Lipoatrophy Resource Center
Ask a Question About Facial Wasting at The Body's "Ask the Experts" Forums
More Personal Accounts of Facial Wasting (Lipoatrophy)

Comment by: brad Fenwick (Sebastian FL) Mon., Mar. 15, 2010 at 11:05 am EDT
Enjoyed this Mark. I Have the same treatments done by Dr. P and he is amazing. His work is also done with total Love.
Thanks for this video.

Comment by: mary (memphis) Tue., Mar. 2, 2010 at 11:58 am EST
your facial tx really look great! would you mind sharing with me the cost of the therapy?
thanks!

Comment by: Marta (Lisboa, Portugal) Fri., Feb. 26, 2010 at 10:41 pm EST
Hi Mark,

of course you are happy and i'm happy too for you.;)
I have facial wasting too (and legs and arms) and it's so sad but my virus is ok (indectatable) and that's great.
Perhaps, next hear i would do the facial treatament in the hospital (my social services pay that, thank God). ;))))
Thank you very much for you blog.
Lahaim ;))))))

P.S Sorry for my poor english

Comment by: hopefulone (NYC) Tue., Feb. 16, 2010 at 11:52 pm EST
great stuff Mark, thanks for sharing. you look great. wonderful!

Comment by: Kirk (Dallas, TX) Wed., Feb. 10, 2010 at 1:59 pm EST
Absolutely wonderful, Mark! You looked good before but now great. I am so glad you were able to have the procedure done and that you were will to share it with us. I appreciate you so very much.

Comment by: PSueC (Kansas City, Mo) Mon., Feb. 8, 2010 at 11:03 am EST
Wow. You lost at least 10 years. Thanks for sharing this process.

Comment by: Javier (Miami, FL) Sun., Feb. 7, 2010 at 2:15 pm EST
Hi,
I did it a couple of times, some years ago. I realy didn't need it then. However, now that I needed more I can't aford it. I wish by now insurance would cover it.

Comment by: Ed (Chicago, IL) Fri., Feb. 5, 2010 at 10:30 pm EST
I did not only have facial wasting, but swelling of the parotid gland as well. I suffered from this for several years. I had radiation treatment to correct the swelling and fat transfer to correct the wasting. Its been years and I still look great. My plastic surgeon in Chicago (Dr. David Teplica) knows how to transfer fat into the face permanently. Thank you for allowing me to post.

Comment by: steve (new albany,in.) Fri., Feb. 5, 2010 at 4:52 pm EST
hey mark you are lucky looks great i need the same ,have the same places as you and over 25 years with this too,after your last vid i got the butt shorts like them alot found some cheaper ones on ebay but like the site you had and thats the first place i got a pair.thanks so much for all you do...........take care

Comment by: Drew (Sydney, Australia) Thu., Feb. 4, 2010 at 11:29 pm EST
Ive been POZ since 2007. Im not on MEDS. Im wondering if facial wasting can occur without the use of HAART????

So is it the result of HAART or HIV itself??
Can someone answer me thins question ??

Cheers Drew

p.s. Love your Blog Mark Mwah xx

Comment by: Parker (Detroit, MI) Thu., Feb. 4, 2010 at 1:39 pm EST
I had a couple of treatments of Sculptra admininsteredd by Dr. Benson. A few days of swelling but results are well worth it. Some friends noticed the difference, others thought I looked fine before. I noticed the difference and it really helped how I feel about my appearance. It has been 18 months and has been holding up good.

Comment by: Deb B (Ft. Pierce, FL) Wed., Feb. 3, 2010 at 8:27 pm EST
Brilliant Mark, and very well done! I have the privilege to work with Dr. Pierone in his Ft. Pierce office (part of the Nursing staff) and to see such positive results not only asthetically, but emotionally, is why I love my job. Thanks for sharing your treatment experience.

Comment by: Max (Chicago, IL) Wed., Feb. 3, 2010 at 1:14 pm EST
I have had 3 people tell me in the past month that "your face is looking really thin!" so I have been concerned about it as well - though I have a beard now and a friend pointed out to me that that fact and that I have lost weight due to working out and running has made my face thinner. Good stuff to know though - love your video blog, Mark!

Comment by: Bonnie (Vero Beach) Wed., Feb. 3, 2010 at 8:12 am EST
Fantastic! Thanks for sharing. What a difference!! I'm sure this will be so helpful to others. :)

Comment by: Robert Meek (Loris, South Carolina, USA) Tue., Feb. 2, 2010 at 9:42 pm EST
Great job, Mark. Although not a candidate for it, for me, for now, I am curious, how people get it covered. It must cost an arm and a leg and another half an arm or leg, for sure. Do they get private insurance to pay, Medicare? Do they have to scrounge up the money themselves?

VIDEO BLOG:
My Fabulous Disease

Mark S. King has been an active AIDS activist, writer and community organization leader since the early 1980s in Los Angeles. He has been an outspoken advocate for prevention education and for issues important to those living with HIV.

Diagnosed in 1985, Mark has held positions with the Los Angeles Shanti Foundation, AID Atlanta and AIDS Survival Project, and is an award-winning writer. He continues his volunteer work as an AIDS educator and speaker for conferences and events.

Speaking engagements: Mark King is available to speak to groups. Contact Mark about speaking at your organization or event!

More About Mark: