Starting My New Adventure

By Magnetic Mama

January 29, 2010

Heart Magnet

Ok, so this is me, Magnetic Mama, welcome to my blog! I am very excited to join the list of TheBody.com bloggers, and I think I might bring a slightly different perspective to the amazing bunch of people already out there. I am the negative i.e. uninfected half of a HIV magnetic couple. In my eyes (err...ears) 'magnetic' sounds so much more positive than serodiscordant because it implies attraction rather than some kind of clash (that's not to say I don't have any of those with my hubby...)

Magnetic Mama

I am fairly new to this form of communication but I have somehow managed to make a Mini-Mama 'WeeMee', which kind of looks like me *burstwithpride*. The reason I am not showing my actual photo is to protect my husband, who is not open about his status and I don't want to inadvertently disclose it by proxy.

Who am I? I'm a 27-year-old woman, a psychologist, a good friend (at least I think so), an enormous fan of good food, movies and endless chats about everything and nothing. I currently live in South Africa with my husband, I am German by birth and I lived in the UK for a long time (confused yet?). I have been working for a South African NGO [non-governmental organization] that provides paediatric HIV services to the public, so basically I've been working with children and adolescents as well as their caregivers infected and affected by HIV/AIDS.

Now that that's out of the way, what is this all about? I am embarking on a rather ambitious, exciting and frankly a little terrifying trip around the world, spanning 10 countries in six months all on my own. Along the way I am hoping to meet up with other couples or families in my situation or with whoever is interested in connecting with me, and here I will write down my experiences, thoughts and undoubtedly some mishaps as well.

So, if you live in Thailand, Australia (Sydney), New Zealand, Argentina, Brazil (Rio de Janeiro), Peru, Dominican Republic, Mexico, Canada or the U.S. (especially along route 66) and you'd like to get in touch, that would be lovely.

So people, look after yourselves and each other, wherever you are and I will hopefully see you soon!

To contact Magnetic Mama, click here.

More Top News Articles
Advertisement:
Find out how a Walgreens specially trained pharmacist can help you

Comment by: Alora (Colorado) Sat., Feb. 20, 2010 at 5:35 pm EST
I can't begin to tell you how excited I am to follow your blog! The idea of combining travel adventure and the idea of discovering/creating a larger community of magnetic families is fantastic! If you pass through Colorado while in the states my husband and I, a magnetic little family ourselves, would love to meet you! I have been positive since birth, while my amazing husband is negative. Thank you for putting yourself, and your adventure out there for all of us to follow along!

Comment by: Lerato (Johannesburg, South Africa) Wed., Feb. 17, 2010 at 2:53 am EST
Hi Magnetic Mama,

It's good to see another South African on this site. I'm also in a magnetic relationship. My boyfriend was diagnosed poz in August 2009- his labs are quite good. I'm still neg, I don't know how, but I'm grateful for that. Although I'm still trying to get over my partners infidelity. Other than that I'm also struggling to help a poz mom living in denial- it's one battle after another. Yet I do know that there's a very profound and special reason why these two people are in my life. I understand now how I coincidentally stumbled on this site a few years. It has better equipped me to deal and help the lovely poz people in my life.

I'm looking forward to connect with you and reading more of your blogs.

It helps seeing other thriving magnetic couples.
Enjoy every moment of your travels...keep well.

Love and Light
Xx

Comment by: Magnetic Mama (Sydney, Australia) Tue., Feb. 16, 2010 at 12:23 am EST
Thanks for all the comments, how wonderful to hear from you guys all over the world! I have now left Thailand behind me (reluctantly, I must admit) and am exploring the world down-under. It has been great to be in touch with so many people, I really feel like I've become part of a huge community and I like it.

Take care of yourselves,

Magnetic Mama

Comment by: Tammie (Edmonton, AB, Canada) Thu., Feb. 11, 2010 at 10:12 pm EST
Hi Mama, I'm also a neg female in a relationship with a pos male. I have known about his status from the beginning and have made it a sort of mission to know as much as I can in order to support him as much as I can. I very much look forward to reading your blog as I haven't yet come across anything or anyone that I can with as much.

Comment by: Gisele (Winnipeg, Canada) Tue., Feb. 9, 2010 at 4:01 pm EST
Hello! I am so new to this type of communicating, you seem like a pro in comparison. I've had HIV for 25 years, and you're also the first female b logger that has attracted. I like your incognito outfit, I think sometimes my whole life has been incognito, I'm mother, teacer, widow, sister and friend, not to mention aunt and so on. Some know, some don't.
I would love to start a blog, and yours is a model that appeals to me. Good luck, and I'll be reading for more of your news.

Comment by: Rocket (POS, Trinidad) Thu., Feb. 4, 2010 at 9:21 pm EST
Hi Mama,
I'm a HIV+ gay male living on the DL in Trinidad, I'm seeing a guy who is HIV- and we like each other very much but we are both concerned about how a "magnetic" relationship like ours can work without putting the neg partner at risk.
I would really like to hear your views and how you have managed your own situation.

Thanks,
Rocket

Comment by: Robert Breining (Levittown , PA) Wed., Feb. 3, 2010 at 9:16 pm EST
Magnetic Mama welcome to the bloggers on Thebody.com I am a new blogger myself and look forward to reading your posts.