Life, Love, Sex, HIV and Other Unscheduled Events

By Bob Frascino, M.D.

January 13, 2010

That's my topic (and my life story) and I'm sticking to it. Welcome to Dr. Bob's blog. I promise future posts will be positively teeming with life lessons, love stories and steamy sex, all focused through the unforgiving prism of HIV.

However, by way of introduction to the new kid on the blog, I thought I would begin with some of my life's "unscheduled events," which have led me to this very point in my excellent adventure on this wild and wacky planet.

First, by way of full disclosure (note to self: blog about disclosure sometime soon), I must admit I'm new to this whole blogosphere thingy. It's not that I tend to chisel my correspondences onto stone tablets, but rather that I'm not the kind of guy who readily tweets, Flickrs, LinkedIns or Facebooks.

OK, I admit I'm a social networking dinosaur compared to my blogging compatriots, so I'm relying on all those who are reading these posts to comment and criticize at will. If you find my rants a snoozapalooza, just let me know, OK? I can take it. I may cry a bit, but I'll get over it. No, I won't. Yes, I will. No, I won't. But let the comments fly nonetheless.

OK, on to some unscheduled events:

Attending Oberlin College and Conservatory of Music was an unscheduled event!

I DIDN'T PLAN TO ATTEND OBERLIN COLLEGE AND CONSERVATORY OF MUSIC. I had a scholarship waiting for me at the University of Rochester in Rochester, N.Y., my hometown, and planned to continue my musical training at the Eastman School of Music. However, integrating my interest in science at the University of Rochester and my classical piano training at the Eastman School proved daunting because the two schools and campuses were independent. Oberlin, on the other hand, was within driving distance of my home and the music conservatory was right on campus and intimately linked to the College of Arts and Sciences.

So I decided to take a road trip and have a look-see. I visited the campus on a gloriously sunny day. The view of the gleaming white Conservatory of Music across Tappan Square impressed me, as did what I saw on Tappan Square: A shirtless guy with the longest and most unruly mop of hair I had ever seen was running at top speed to catch a Frisbee that had been expertly tossed by another guy who was a dead ringer for Jimi Hendrix. I couldn't help but think that Jimi Hendrix was playing Frisbee with Cousin Itt from the Addams Family! Cousin Itt must have noticed my interest, because he suddenly yelled out "wanna play?"

There I was looking like a high school kid with my shortish hair and geek-before-it-was-chic clothes, including embarrassingly tall platform shoes and a dress shirt with an enormous collar. I was flabbergasted that the likes of Cousin Itt and Jimi Hendrix wanted to play Frisbee with me.

Off came my platform shoes. I rolled up my bell-bottomed, checkered dress pants and joined the fun. Cousin Itt was a physics major while Jimi Hendrix was a viola performance major in the conservatory. Wow, science was integrating with music right before my eyes via a Frisbee emblazoned with a peace symbol. And best of all: I had been invited to join in. Obviously this was where I belonged. Goodbye University of Rochester; hello Oberlin College!

Becoming a physician was an unscheduled event!

I DIDN'T PLAN TO ATTEND MEDICAL SCHOOL. My interests entering college centered on plant biology, French and classical piano performance. My Oberlin experience honed my skills in la langue de Molière, as well as Astérix et Tintin, via classes and a winter term immersion program in Saint-Georges-de-Beauce, Québec. Although I may never have become a true Francophone, I continue to be an active Francophile (bisettes et crêpes suzette à tous).

As for piano, despite my weekly lessons at the conservatory and giving a number of recitals in Warner Concert Hall, I reluctantly came to the realization that neither Rubinstein nor Horowitz would be dethroned from the stages of the world's great concert halls by my fearlessly flying fingers. Nonetheless, even today I continue to tickle the ivories at every opportunity.

Oberlin carefully nurtured my interest in science. A recent addition to the chemistry faculty, Dr. Dennis Luck, invited me to become his honors student and work in his laboratory my senior year. (This to me was nearly as shocking as being asked to play Frisbee with Cousin Itt and Jimi Hendrix.) He also encouraged me to consider a career in medicine. Lucky for me, I took his advice. Thank you Dr. Luck!

The HIV/AIDS pandemic was an unscheduled (and unimaginable) event!

I DIDN'T PLAN TO BECOME A CLINICAL IMMUNOLOGIST AND HIV SPECIALIST PHYSICIAN. In fact, HIV hadn't even been discovered when I graduated from medical school and headed west ("go west young man!") to pursue an internship and residency in pediatrics. Despite my love of children, their unbridled optimism and their uncanny ability to recover from enormous medical challenges, I did not find general pediatrics intellectually stimulating. Teaching first-time moms about breastfeeding, shots and shoes just wasn't enough for me.

Consequently, I accepted a postdoctoral fellowship in adult and child clinical immunology and allergy at the University of California San Francisco. Clinical immunology fascinated me, as it was a highly specialized field of medicine that dealt with bizarre and often catastrophic immune-based illnesses. Intellectual stimulation was no longer a problem!

Little did I know that the very first cases of what we would eventually come to know as AIDS would arrive on San Francisco's hospital wards during my training. That an epidemic of immunodeficiency would soon fall upon us like a killer tsunami was beyond any of our worst imaginings. I became an HIV specialist by choice, but also by serendipitously being in the right place at exactly the wrong time.

Becoming "virally enhanced" was definitely an unscheduled event!

I DIDN'T PLAN TO EXPERIENCE HIV FROM BOTH SIDES OF THE EXAMINATION TABLE. The virus found me while I was working. In January 1991, while performing a routine procedure on a patient with advanced-stage AIDS, I sustained a hollow-bore needle stick and laceration. Despite taking antiretroviral medication immediately, I seroconverted to HIV positive. (Note to self: Blog about seroconversion and acute retroviral syndrome.)

Redirecting my medical career was an unscheduled event!

I DIDN'T PLAN TO RETIRE FROM CLINICAL PRACTICE AT AGE 44. "Positively charged," I suddenly found my life divided into before and after. I had crossed the line from one who provides care to one who would eventually need care. Having the eyes and mind of an HIV specialist physician, but the body and soul of an HIV/AIDS patient, provided me with a unique perspective on this modern day plague. HIV/AIDS in January 1991 was a death sentence with a prognosis of perhaps 10 years at best. By 1995 my health began to crumble as my immune system deteriorated. I resigned from my large clinical practice as an AIDS specialist and medical director of an oncology-immunology infusion and research center at a large multispecialty medical group. I retained my academic credentials and affiliation with Stanford University Medical Center where, as an assistant clinical professor of medicine in the Division of Immunology and Allergy, I taught medical students, residents and postdoctoral fellows. I refocused my professional endeavors on teaching and raising awareness of the burgeoning HIV/AIDS pandemic. (Note to self: Blog about the need for HIV/AIDS awareness and prevention.)

Producing Web-based, peer-generated HIV/AIDS awareness via a Web-video competition, helping victimized Congolese women and young girls and providing clean needles to drug addicts were unscheduled events!

I DIDN'T PLAN ON FOUNDING A NON-PROFIT CHARITABLE FOUNDATION. In 1996, my life partner Dr. Steven Natterstad and I unknowingly planted the seed for what would become the Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation when we performed a private HIV/AIDS piano benefit concert in our home in Los Altos, California.

The overwhelming success of that initial intimate musical soirée led to the launch of a series of benefit concerts entitled "A Concerted Effort" and ultimately to the formation of the Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation, whose sole mission is to provide crucial services for men, women and children living with HIV/AIDS worldwide and to raise awareness of the HIV/AIDS epidemic through advocacy and education. The foundation to date has raised well over $1,500,000 for global AIDS crucial services, ranging from AIDS hospice care in Los Angeles to support of a clean-needle-exchange program in Washington, D.C., to the provision of anti-HIV medication to HIV-infected pregnant women in Africa thereby helping to prevent transmission of the virus to their newborns.

The foundation's most recent project involves a collaborative effort with a generic medicine pharmaceutical company and the non-profit Global Strategies for HIV Prevention to provide treatment for women and girls who have been raped by militia in the Democratic Republic of Congo. Every day, 50 to 75 women and girls are raped in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo. It is estimated that two-thirds of the rapists are infected with HIV. The foundation will help provide medications to the victimized women and girls for the prevention and treatment of HIV, pregnancy and sexually transmitted diseases.

One last unscheduled event!

Bob, Steve and PrestoI DIDN'T PLAN ON USING THIS PHOTO. But trust me, it's way cuter than the one of me standing in front of the Frascino Medical Group and the Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation offices. I'm the short guy on the left; Steve is on the right. Life partners for the past 16 years, we were legally married in 2008, getting hitched on Halloween in a hastily arranged mass ceremony just in time to beat the evil California Proposition 8. The officiant who performed our service was dressed like Mr. Spock in a Star Trek costume. We plan to "live long and prosper." So far, so good. Our personal motto remains: "Every day above ground is a good day." We know life, love, illness, opportunity and other unscheduled events will continue. We welcome their challenges.

Presto Frascino-Natterstad, center in the photograph, is the immediate past president of California Canines for Obama and of the canine chapter of the No-On-Proposition 8 campaign as well as the current president of California Canines for Condoms (in which capacity he continues to work tirelessly promoting safer sexual practices among horndogs worldwide). (Note to self: Will showing Presto's penis result in an X-rating for my blog?)

OK, that's it! As soon as I hit the send button, I'll no longer be a blogger-virgin. (Note to self: Stop writing so many notes to self.)

Happy and healthy 2010 to one and all!

Dr. Bob

Want to get in touch with Dr. Bob? You can reach him through his "Ask the Experts" forum, by sending a message to the Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation, or by leaving a comment for him below. (If it's a private message, or if it includes personal info such as your e-mail address or phone number, we won't post the comment, but we will send it along to him.)

More HIV News

Comment by: Parth (India) Thu., May. 6, 2010 at 6:08 pm EDT
Once again, add me to your list of fans on FACEBOOK :)

Comment by: Parth R. Rana (Delhi, India) Thu., May. 6, 2010 at 6:04 pm EDT
THANK YOU Dr. BOB :D .

Comment by: shaun williams (Australia) Thu., Apr. 22, 2010 at 10:55 pm EDT
My goodness you are buff!! I am looking at your guns! Thank you so much for being the person that you are, I read your comments and your human way you address concerned people. I too have worried in the past and have been able to Woohoo I am a little concrened at the moment as we sometimes do but sure I am ok. Topped with condom......

Comment by: ron waitzman (nyc ny) Sat., Apr. 3, 2010 at 2:36 pm EDT
Thanks so much for your blogs. I've totally enjoyed this one and the subsequent one on hot monkey sex. The pup is a real cutie..enjoy.

Comment by: CHRIS (NY) Thu., Mar. 11, 2010 at 9:23 pm EST
thNKS FOR YOURBLOG I Hve somequestions but hope fully i;ll get some information from you and your readers thanks and good luck your positive and brave keep it going

Comment by: anca maria (greece) Sun., Mar. 7, 2010 at 4:15 pm EST
dr. bob you are wanderfull.we are realy lucky to have you and your advices every day.i wish you the best.

Comment by: aztekcasper (chicago, il) Tue., Feb. 9, 2010 at 9:53 pm EST
Doc, i know ur a busy man but u havent updated ur blog in a while. whats up? hope to read something from u soon. stay well n strong.

Comment by: AR (Delhi, India) Sat., Feb. 6, 2010 at 9:00 am EST
Dear Dr Bob,
I was wondering looking at your pic,is that a real dog or a toy?
If hes real he sure has amazing locks, who is his fur-stylist and what dog shampoo does he use?
You have spoilt him , I think he looks lazy.
Im sure he gets away with doing nothing just because of the way he looks at you. Is that what ''its a dogs life'' means?

Comment by: BMW Princess (Canada) Fri., Jan. 29, 2010 at 11:37 am EST
I'm glad it worked out like that. I love reading your posts. I love how you take a difficult topic and lighten it up.

Comment by: Peter Chan (Malaysia) Fri., Jan. 29, 2010 at 7:08 am EST
Thanks for all your support Dr. Bob, sometimes our past karma dictates our present life. Sometimes it isn't bad karma that causes us to face a difficult challenge like being positively charged like you say all the time. Devastating events in life bring out the best or the worst in people, its like a life challenge meant for your soul. In your case, you have shown us how we as humans should live. stay positive and strong. Eventually all of us will have to die, it is how our mind/soul turns out at the end. I can only see a lot of good karma and blessings for you doctor.

Comment by: no name (Mozambique) Wed., Jan. 27, 2010 at 1:16 am EST
Thank u for your service regarding hiv/aids. You encourage people and put a smile on us all.
I donate to your foundation and if i could i would give lots more.
Here in mozambique hiv is is reaching catastrophic levels.
I myself would like to create a ONG to raise awareness and prevention.
Cheers

Comment by: Jason (Indianapolis) Tue., Jan. 26, 2010 at 6:27 pm EST
I love your site keep it up doc !

Comment by: Juan Manuel Garcia (Argentina) Tue., Jan. 26, 2010 at 4:51 pm EST
Dr. Bob, what to say ?
Your work and the way you see things is inspiring.
I want to give you a hug !

Comment by: Bob Seeman, MD (Paris, France) Tue., Jan. 26, 2010 at 4:15 am EST
Hi Dr. Bob - happy to read your blog and learn a bit more about you and your Obie days+. I also was taken with Oberlin on a sunny visiting day in 1962 and majored in French plus pre-med. Your story and your kind support of all of us is incredibly valuable! Looking forward to the next entry.

Comment by: Kerry Gough, Counsel, Global Strategies for HIV Prevention (Oakland, CA) Mon., Jan. 25, 2010 at 6:50 pm EST
Enjoyed your Blog,Bob, and sorry to have missed the concert that you did for Global Strategies. Found your blog while researching for an article Art & I are doing on HIV and Violence on Women as related to Sub-Saharan Africa. Best regards, Kerry Gough

Comment by: allen (Flint Mi) Sun., Jan. 24, 2010 at 11:14 pm EST
Dr Bob
I just had the pleasure of reading your first blog. I must say you are a much better blogger than u give yourself credit for I really enjoyed reading it please keep them coming. We can all use your sense of encouragement and humor. Peace Love and Happiness Allen

Comment by: madison (madison, wi) Sun., Jan. 24, 2010 at 10:28 pm EST
Dr. Bob, Your first blog is also the first blog I've ever read! Am an immunology geek and would love you to devote at least half a paragraph in future blogs to any recent immunology articles you find particularly interesting -- the more arcane the better! Best blog wishes, Madison in Madison

Comment by: That Wacky Guy Again (Boston, MA) Sun., Jan. 24, 2010 at 7:34 pm EST
Hi Dr. Bob!

When can we expect the next blog entry?

I could eat every word penned by such a brilliant mind nonstop, all day.

Comment by: Raheem (Ohio) Sun., Jan. 24, 2010 at 11:01 am EST
Dr Bob,
I enjoyed your blog, I would actually be interested in about reading your transition from negative to positive. How you coped with your ars symptoms, etc.

Comment by: Pete (Los Angeles, CA) Sun., Jan. 24, 2010 at 4:37 am EST
Dr. Bob,

Only if I have 1/10 of your optimism and wisdom I'd not be so stupid to have done all the things that led me to your forum on almost daily basis. At time of despair, your words gives me a ray of hope. I sincerely thank you for all your selfless services; the world (at least mine) is much, much better because of you.

Pete

Comment by: Brooke (Perth, Australia) Sun., Jan. 24, 2010 at 12:44 am EST
Thank you for being so candid in this, your first blog :) Your wit and humour never ceases to bring a smile to my face and I look forward to reading many more blogs.

Comment by: Alex (San Diego, CA) Fri., Jan. 22, 2010 at 5:05 am EST
Dr. Bob,

If everyone had your attitude and positive outlook, this world would be an incredibly awesome place to be. I mean this from the bottom of my heart. Keep up the great work, you're the greatest!

Comment by: Dr.Rakesh Bharti (Amritsar,Punjab,India) Thu., Jan. 21, 2010 at 9:29 pm EST
I was always fascinated by your replies as an expert and as a matter of fact copied you style in replying my Patients.
To be on two sides of the table and enjoy dishes from both sides---wow.
It may look absurd but still I feel i am inquisitive to know the conformity of your getting the virus the way you say you had--in our city a professor of pathology had it similarly(as he confided in me)yet no one believed.
The unscheduled events of your life confirm nthat when there is bend on the road rather than the end of the road can be beyond many to understand while pursuing this journey of "LIFE".
More ,sometime later where i would love to share my experiences through my patients
Love you--God Bless,as we say in India "Jeete raho"

Comment by: John (Cumming, GA) Thu., Jan. 21, 2010 at 5:06 pm EST
A heartfelt thanks is in order! I am new to the blog thing as well, but have found a renewed since of hope - connecting with people that can relate to what you are going through. I didn't think I would be a HIV+ paramedic/RN - yet as fate would have it I am - Thank you for sharing your story and inspiring me to continue on my journey. Much love and happiness.

Comment by: Tara (California) Thu., Jan. 21, 2010 at 4:28 pm EST
Dr. Bob you are amazing. Your attitude and uplifting words have touched so many of us. God Bless and thank you for your service.

Comment by: Scandinavian (Scandinavia) Thu., Jan. 21, 2010 at 4:22 pm EST
Dr Bob. You are really an amazing man. Never forget how thankful we are for having you with us.You are a true hero and thats why we love you so much.Stay well!

Comment by: aztek (chicago, il) Wed., Jan. 20, 2010 at 8:03 pm EST
Dr. bob. i wanted to know that i follow ur a&q forum about HIV and read from the forum almost everyday. i really admire ur work on both study and adv on HIV. I plan to read ur blog on a regular basis. keep strong and live long.

Comment by: Richard Cordova (Chicago, IL) Wed., Jan. 20, 2010 at 5:00 pm EST
Your amazing!

Comment by: bartleby Wed., Jan. 20, 2010 at 3:21 pm EST
We love you, Dr. Bob!

Comment by: Emmy (Kenya) Wed., Jan. 20, 2010 at 2:44 am EST
Dr Bob, this is a great encouragement for those living positively. Any light at the end of the tunnel for a cure or a more effective drug with no life threatening side effects? Wish you well.

Comment by: Gloria B (Iowa) Tue., Jan. 19, 2010 at 8:24 pm EST
Dr Bob, your regular column of frankly answering questions about HIV, especially transmission of it, have been a sad but amusing source of learning how ultra obsessive some people can become with their guilt and fears. You always answer those so patiently. Now to read your adult history, I'm so impressed by your varied talents and interest in helping others. I'm eager to read your blog to take advantage of your insight from "both sides." We're so glad you're there, devoting your fantastic abilities and energy to people concerned about HIV. Thank your handsome dog for the good work in promoting all the best ideas.

Comment by: Preventioneer Tue., Jan. 19, 2010 at 12:43 pm EST
Great job! Welcome to the world of blogging...what a coincidence returning from my long-weekend after just having watched Julie & Julia. I was just thinking of how I wished I followed a blog of someone's, and now kazaam! A blog...what good fortune LOL

Comment by: Toasted Toad (Dublin, Ireland) Tue., Jan. 19, 2010 at 5:28 am EST
Dr. Bob,

You've helped to remove the final bar in my head concerning HIV/AIDS.

Comment by: Terry (Orange County, Ca.) Mon., Jan. 18, 2010 at 2:15 pm EST
Dear Dr. Bob,
How excellent you are to share your wit, wisdom and some of the waystops in your life journey.
Thanks for what you do from a long time survivor of AIDS (24 yrs.) with Lipoatrphy. Blog away dear friend. You can see where my journey has led me at www.lipowear.com
Terry

Comment by: Indian guy (kerala,India) Mon., Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:59 am EST
Blog itself if is an excellent inspiration for persons living with HIV.

Comment by: Thomas (East Africa) Mon., Jan. 18, 2010 at 3:04 am EST
Life is an unscheduled event from beginning to end. We try to pin down our paths, but fortune and misfortune take charge of so many things and eventually plot the direction we go. Thanks so much for your insights into your personal experiences. Keep up the good work. You help so many of us understand so much more about where we are at and what we can do to help influence for the better our unscheduled life events. Blog on.

Comment by: Art Fayer, JD (San Diego, CA) Mon., Jan. 18, 2010 at 1:09 am EST
Great blog, and I wonder how really unscheduled the above "unscheduled events" were. You may not have planned any of it, but...?

Comment by: L (UK) Sun., Jan. 17, 2010 at 7:17 pm EST
Hi. I'm in a serodiscordant relationship too since 18 months and find your responses and comments invaluable. Have used this site from day 1 to get clued up on it all. My partner is poz since 6 years. Recently went onto PEP. Have taken it before, kaletra and combivir ( to which i couldnt tolerate) and switched to efavirenz and truvada). This time for PEP i'm taking nevirapine and truvada. I've heard this is a bad idea due to liver complications and the town i live in is pretty shocking when dealing with HIV. Any comments on this would be much appreciated.
Thanks
L

Comment by: Mia (Athens , Greece) Sun., Jan. 17, 2010 at 5:14 pm EST
It's official! I'm addicted to you Dr. Bob! You are brilliant in every single way! Great first post, I'm certainly looking forward to reading more from you!

Comment by: Some Dude Over There (Boston, MA) Sun., Jan. 17, 2010 at 11:06 am EST
Dr. Bob,

You forgot a very important unscheduled event: writing an introduction blog entry employing unscheduled events as the theme.

We love you Dr. Bob! Keep on blogging!

Comment by: RonBearOH (columbus,oh) Sun., Jan. 17, 2010 at 8:55 am EST
Great blog Dr.Bob. We were lucky enough to have you in Ohio a while, Miss the snow? Love the humor!

Comment by: Loukas (Greece, Athens) Sun., Jan. 17, 2010 at 4:47 am EST
Dr. Bob, you are so wonderful a person! You really helped me with my fears. Come this summer to Mykonos. Unique experience for unique personas like you! Wish you health!

Comment by: Not Thomas (Southampton UK) Sat., Jan. 16, 2010 at 2:54 pm EST
I really needed to read that today Dr Bob. Frankly you could talk about paint drying and I think you would have a substantial audience. Thanks for all you do and inspire. Can't wait to read more.

Comment by: Aminam (Kenya) Sat., Jan. 16, 2010 at 11:49 am EST
Thanks, Dr. Bob.
If this is the beginning of your blog, CANT wait for the next and next..
Thanks for the inspiration and willingness to share.
Good Health! Bob.

Comment by: william ntimba (south africa) Sat., Jan. 16, 2010 at 10:34 am EST
great Blog Dr Bob, cant wait to read more from you. you changed my life on the body .com, now im rich with knowledge on HIV, wish you all the best for 2010 man

Comment by: Mike (Jakarta, Indonesia) Fri., Jan. 15, 2010 at 9:43 pm EST
Thank you Dr.Bob for all your kindness to help others in need!

Comment by: Fri., Jan. 15, 2010 at 8:56 pm EST
Thanks for sharing, inspirational. Hope to read more of your blogs

Comment by: maria (greece) Fri., Jan. 15, 2010 at 9:20 am EST
Dr.Bob i wish you the best. I read your advices every day because my husband is hiv+ and i am negative. just like your couple. thank you for helping us.

Comment by: Bear (Africa) Fri., Jan. 15, 2010 at 7:27 am EST
Bob I always follow your witty and warm enthusiasmand quest for life. Keep it up it is a morale booster!

Comment by: John (Hong Kong) Fri., Jan. 15, 2010 at 6:59 am EST
You're fabulous! I look forward to reading more. Your insights, knowledge, attitude and perspectives (on just about everything) make it easier for all of us to better deal with the unscheduled events that have entered our own lives... With great admiration from Asia.
Be well.

Comment by: Brandon (Newport News, VA) Fri., Jan. 15, 2010 at 6:20 am EST
Dr. Bob
Thank you for opening yourself up for us to read. I have been invovled with an HIV Positive Woman for the past 4 years. Your advice and insight have been and continue to be very helpful in our relationship. Thank you very much for all that you do.

Comment by: Sakis (Athens, Greece) Fri., Jan. 15, 2010 at 4:45 am EST
Dr Bob you are a role-model (and may i say really handsome, someone has been working-out!)

NOTE: Please do also blog about gymnastics and exercising

Comment by: sehar (kashmir) Fri., Jan. 15, 2010 at 1:26 am EST
it is really inspirational

Comment by: Steve (Gainsville, FL) Thu., Jan. 14, 2010 at 9:56 pm EST
Dr. Bob,

Your wit and wisdom are priceless. Thanks for all you do to inform and inspire all of us.

Comment by: Lee (Minneapolis, MN) Thu., Jan. 14, 2010 at 7:08 pm EST
Dr. BoB nice pipes. You been doing your curls I see......

Comment by: (Chicago, IL) Thu., Jan. 14, 2010 at 4:06 pm EST
You are such a wonderful human being; I am so happy that you opened up yourself apart from the responsest that you have given so many of us. Please don't ever change and thank you so much for not judging some of the crazy things all of us have done or do to put ourselves at risk, but no one is perfect. You've made having a magnetic relationship alot easier. I love you, live long and prosperous.

Comment by: Al (Miami, CA) Thu., Jan. 14, 2010 at 3:47 pm EST
Dear Bob:
You and Nelson Verger are my heroes.

Comment by: Tiffanee (USA) Thu., Jan. 14, 2010 at 3:29 pm EST
Great debut onto the blogosphere... well done, impressive!

Comment by: Septu Aginarian (New York) Thu., Jan. 14, 2010 at 3:12 pm EST
Dr. Bob,

I received an alternative wording of your and Steve's motto, "Every day above ground is a good day."

I recently remarked to a store clerk on one of those wall-to-wall, beautiful, sunny days, "It's a great day to be alive."

The guy quipped, "Any day is a great day to be alive."

(Couldn't help but notice the good musculature of your right arm and your nice basket. Is working-out part of your self-prescribed HIV- regimen?-- working-out your right arm, that is.)

Best to you and Steve,
Septu

Comment by: Jerome (Washington DC) Thu., Jan. 14, 2010 at 2:54 pm EST
Dr. B, this is a wonderful open message. Thanks for sharing so much of you and your life. You are a major contribution to the HIV poz community and your comments and suggestions and occasional severe scoldings of people who are being seriously irresponsible are very welcome.

If only you could somehow get the message across to all of the Craigs Listers who seem to think that by saying "DDF and neg, UB2" that (1) they really are DDF, and (2) that their little mantra will assure both truthfulness and accuracy from their NSA sex encounters. The only solution that I see is the creation of a sexual holodeck, so people can indulge their sexual fantasies sans viri, bacteria, or real world emotional connections. Alas, our technology is not quite there, but closer that I would have though even a few years ago.

Thanks again!

Comment by: Loren A Olson MD (Iowa) Thu., Jan. 14, 2010 at 2:45 pm EST
Dr. Bob, Welcome to the Blog world. I look forward to your keeping me abreast of what is going on in the world of HIV treatment.

Loren A Olson MD
www.MagneticFire.com

Comment by: Rob Thu., Jan. 14, 2010 at 2:44 pm EST
Dr. Bob, I wish you all the best with this blog. I'm sure that many others like myself appreciate your humor and wit. Great start, can't wait to read more!