[Source: What countries need -- investments needed for 2010 targets, UNAIDS February 2009]
- At the end of 2008, an estimated US$ 13.7 billion was made available for the global
AIDS response -- a 21% increase above the $11.3 billion for AIDS in 2007.
- Nearly 52% of the resources available came from domestic sources.
- The per capita domestic expenditure in sub-Saharan Africa was six times more than
other parts of the world after adjusting by income level.
- Direct bilateral agreements provided 31%, multilateral institutions 12%, and the
philanthropic sector 5%.
- Out of pocket expenditures incurred by individuals and families amounted for nearly
US$ 1 billion.