Print this page    •   Back to Web version of article

Getting Medical Help

September 21, 2009

Search for an HIV Health Care Provider

HIV specialists in the U.S. belong to one of two medical groups. Both of these groups have a member database of health care providers across the U.S.

In the U.S.: The American Academy for HIV Medicine (AAHIVM)

The American Academy for HIV Medicine (AAHIVM)

In the U.S. and Throughout the World: The HIV Medicine Association (HIVMA)

The HIV Medicine Association (HIVMA)

Even if you don't yet need to take HIV medications, it's essential that you immediately connect with medical care. You'll need to find health professionals who are experienced in treating HIV-positive people.

Regular checkups with an HIV health care provider are extremely important, even when you don't feel sick. There are many tests and vaccines that are important for HIV-positive people, and a knowledgeable HIV doctor or nurse can be a valuable source of advice on staying healthy and learning more about HIV.

This article was provided by You can find this article online by typing this address into your Web browser:

General Disclaimer: is designed for educational purposes only and is not engaged in rendering medical advice or professional services. The information provided through should not be used for diagnosing or treating a health problem or a disease. It is not a substitute for professional care. If you have or suspect you may have a health problem, consult your health care provider.