According to Merck (the company who makes the stuff), you can take Crixivan with certain foods. We found this out thanks to Liv, a wonderful colleague of ours. Glad they finally told us.
It's best to take Crixivan on an empty stomach. The emptier your stomach, the better the drug will get absorbed and the stronger it will work. But, if missing food is driving you crazy, or taking Crixivan makes your stomach upset, the company now says you can eat some foods. Their six-page list is surprisingly interesting, full of brand names and should make life a whole lot easier. Just call and we'll send you their whole list.
The idea is that you can eat whatever you want, as long as it does not exceed
the limit in any of the following four nutritional areas.
Crixivan Alternate Food List Nutrient Guidelines per Merck
0 to 65 grams of carbohydrate
0 to 5.7 grams of protein
0 to 2 grams fat
0 to 301 calories
Check nutrition labels. Whatever you eat, you should not have more than this.
For example, a half bagel (with no seeds, butter or cream cheese) and a cup of juice has: 55 grams of carbohydrate, 3.7 grams of protein .8 grams of fat, and 241 calories. Enjoy!
Food, glorious food
Meanwhile, here are some highlights of what you can eat while taking Crixivan:
- 2 fig bars & 1 cup of juice
- 1/2 cup Cream of Rice, 1/2 cup skim milk, 1 tablespoon brown sugar, and 1 tablespoon raisins
- 1/2 cup dry cereal, 1/2 cup skim milk & 1/2 banana (not Cracklin' Oat Bran, tasty but too much fat!)
- 1 Low fat granola bar [Quaker Oats]
- 1 Powerbar and cup Gatorade
- 1 English muffin or toast, 1 cup tea or coffee with 2 tsp. sugar & 1 tablespoon jam (no butter!)
- 1 cup fruit (or a medium-sized fruit) (Not avocado or coconut - too much fat)
- 1 c. Spaghettios, and 1/2 cup soda or juice
- 1 corn tortilla, 1/2 cup steamed rice & 3 tablespoons of salsa
- 1 cup tomato soup (made with water), 1 cup tea, 1 tsp sugar & 6 oyster crackers
- 1/2 cup noodles or rice and 1/2 cup steamed vegetables
- 1 Matzoh and 1/4 cup salsa
- 1 baked potato and cup salsa
- 1 slice Angel Food Cake, 1/2 cup berries, a cup of coffee with 2 tablespoons skim milk
and 2 tsp. sugar......mmmmmmm