California: San Francisco Faces $3 Million in AIDS Cuts
May 22, 2008
As San Francisco struggles to close its budget gap, AIDS agencies there face a second round of proposed cuts totaling more than $3 million. Previously, the Health Commission approved a reduction of about $2.2 million in HIV/AIDS services, among other items reduced.
Project Open Hand already expected to lose $106,768, but the new cuts initiated at Mayor Gavin Newsom's request would cut it by another $375,166, for a total of $481,934. POH provides meals for people with HIV, among others, in San Francisco and Alameda counties.
The cuts to POH translate to 426 clients with HIV/AIDS not receiving meals through the contract, said Jim Illig, its executive director. While private sources of funding might pull the agency through, "POH already matches every dollar from the government with two dollars from private sources to fund our meals and groceries," Illig said. "Finding additional private revenue to cover this loss would be very difficult."
Shanti expected about a $200,000 hit before, and now stands to lose about $400,000 in total, said Mark Molnar, HIV services director for the group. Half the cuts affect contracts Shanti shares with other agencies, including the San Francisco AIDS Foundation, to help with volunteer services, care coordination, a drop-in center, and other activities.
The budget is due to the Board of Supervisors by June 2, and it has to approve a finalized budget by the last working day in July, said Joe Arellano, the mayor's deputy communications director.
Bay Area Reporter
05.22.2008; Seth Hemmelgarn
Provider Characteristics Among Staff Providing Care to Sexually Transmitted Infection Self-Medicating Patients in Retail Pharmacies in Kibera Slum, Nairobi, Kenya
This article was provided by CDC National Prevention Information Network. It is a part of the publication CDC HIV/Hepatitis/STD/TB Prevention News Update.