Why is the African-American community being ravaged by the AIDS epidemic? Why are African-American women 23 times more likely to be infected with AIDS than white women? Why are the HIV rates of African-American men who have sex with men as high as those in sub-Saharan Africa? And what can you do -- what can we all do -- to end this crisis?
We asked a wide range of movers and shakers in the African-American community, from Hollywood to Harlem to Harvard, for their expert advice on the critical issues their community must address -- and the crucial actions it must undertake to turn the epidemic around. Here are the top 10, in no particular order:
Table of Contents
- Denial: Save the Children!
- HIV Testing: Better Not to Wait, Lest You Be Late
- The Down Low: Been There, Done That
- Money: More Green for Black Health
- The Church: Work in Progress
- The Media: Turn Up the Volume
- Prevention: Let's Talk About Sex
- Homophobia: "Yo, Stop It Fam!"
- Healthcare Access: Myths and Medicaid Messes
- Stigma: "We All Have AIDS"
Got comments? Want to share your story? Tell us what you think!