HIV/AIDS Resource Center for Women
Michelle Lopez Alora Gale Precious Jackson Nina Martinez Gracia Violeta Ross Quiroga Loreen Willenberg
Michelle Alora Precious Nina Gracia Loreen
Teniecka Hannah

April 3, 2007

< Prev  |  1  |  2

What meds are you on now?

I'm on Truvada [tenofovir/FTC], Sustiva [efavirenz, Stocrin] and Kaletra [lopinavir/ritonavir].

How has that been working for you?

Very well. I haven't been having any problems with them. Ever since they changed Kaletra from a gel capsule to a tablet, it's even better not having to worry about refrigerating my meds. That's also a plus.

You said you had some problems with your meds and your health had been up and down. What happened?

There was one medication in particular that I remember made me so sick. It was called Viramune [nevirapine]. It broke my face out into something so horribly disgusting. I didn't even want to go out into the street because my face was broken out. My skin was peeling off my face. I don't even know how to describe it. It was so nasty looking, and I was so sick I had to lie in bed. I was vomiting all the time. I was staying with my grandmother at the time, and she and my little sister had to come up and help me keep things down. Every time I drank some Ensure [a complete protein drink] or noodles or anything to help me have some sustenance it would always come back up.

Since then you've switched medications and you feel better?

What's your CD4 count and your viral load?

My CD4 count is 477, and my viral load is undetectable.

Congratulations!

Thank you.

How far is that from when you were first diagnosed? Do you remember?

My counts differed, but I remember the one that stuck out the most was when I went in and they told me that my CD4 count was 30 and my viral load was 750,0000. They gave me an AIDS diagnosis because my CD4 count was so low -- to the point that they didn't understand -- and my viral load was so extremely high.

That was when you were first diagnosed?

That was a couple of months after. The first time my CD4 count was 52. Then, something drastic happened. They got me on meds and it wasn't working; I dropped all the way down to 30.

Were you hospitalized at that point?

No, I was never hospitalized for anything related to HIV at all.

Now, how was your health care at that point? How did you choose your current doctor?

Well, my current doctor was chosen through a family practitioner. I was going to him at the time, and he referred me to the doctor I'm seeing now …. He's very good at what he does.

Is this the same person you've been seeing since you were first diagnosed?

Yes, it is.

Oh, that's great. Is your doctor African American as well?

No, he's not. He's actually Caucasian.

Do you feel like you have a good working relationship?

I have heard other people have different kinds of relationships with their doctors, but my [relationship with my] doctor is strictly a doctor-patient relationship. He smiles sometimes and we joke, but he really is about business. He knows my counts, makes sure I'm healthy and doing thing[s] to stay healthy. Our relationship is really a patient-doctor relationship.

Do you feel like he treats you as an equal partner in your health care?

He does -- he's always taking my input. Before, when I was taking other medications, he told me, "I want to cut back on this medicine, but not if you don't think that's OK. If you want to cut back you let me know. I don't know how this is going to work because this one might be resistant."

I said, "Well, I'm with you, because you know what's best. I'm not a doctor, so you tell me." So, he takes my input even though I don't understand all the medication options and what they can do for me. He takes my input anyway.

So, you feel like you have a trusting kind of relationship.

Yes, I do.

What do you do to keep healthy? Do you have a health regimen or anything else to keep healthy besides your meds?

Well, my mom is always waking me up at five in the morning to go to the gym. I really hate that, but I'm happy about it because it does keep me active. I take vitamins as well -- I take Centrum. I'm always trying to eat healthy, even though I slip up sometimes. I try to make healthy meals -- salads, or at least snack on celery or carrots during the day.

"The best reaction I got was from someone who, after I told them my whole entire story about how I did get HIV, the guy ? was actually pissed off. He said, 'That guy, he shouldn't have done that to you. I'm just mad because you seem like such a nice individual. Why would someone do that to you?'"

You spoke earlier about disclosing to your mom, and then having her tell your family. I'm wondering, now, how do you decide when to disclose to somebody?

Now that I'm on this tour it seems a lot easier to disclose. Before, the way I would do it is I would take some time and get to know that person, not for a whole two months or one month, but I'd give them a week or two. If everything's going well, I'd say, "Hey, look, I'm HIV positive." That two-week period gives them enough time to get to know me a little bit and for them to think about, "Well, she just told me she's HIV positive. Do I want to be with her or not?" I think I've taken that time to give them a chance to get to know me a little bit but also for them to take this and know this about me for themselves.

What kind of reactions have you got from disclosing to people? What was the best reaction you ever got?

The best reaction I got was from someone who, after I told them my whole entire story about how I did get HIV, the guy … was actually pissed off. He said, "That guy, he shouldn't have done that to you. I'm just mad because you seem like such a nice individual. Why would someone do that to you?" So that's the best reaction I've ever gotten.

"The worst reaction I ever got after telling someone I had HIV was from someone who said, 'All you HIV people, you need to be put on an island and blown up!'"
What about the worst reaction?

The worst reaction I ever got after telling someone I had HIV was from someone who said, "All you HIV people, you need to be put on an island and blown up!"

Wow! How did you respond to that?

I couldn't respond because after they said that they just hung up on me.

How has your love life changed since you became positive?

Well, for me it hasn't changed too much. I'm usually in long-term relationships. The last relationship I just got out of was four years. I had disclosed to him early on in the relationship, and he was fine with it. I haven't had much dating because I'm usually in long-term relationships. I'll be out there again in the dating scene, and I'm just going to be honest and open.

Do you have any tips for people with HIV who are dating?

I would just say be yourself. Always be open and honest. Don't try to be fake, use a façade or put up a front. Be yourself, and if they can't accept you they're not the one for you.

Excellent. Is there anything else you'd like to share with our readers?

Just stay positive. Be aware. Be prepared. Get tested, and know your status.

Thank you so much, Teniecka.

Teniecka can be reached via email at msdrake98@ymail.com.

Want to find out what Teniecka's been up to? Check out Teniecka's March 2011 update interview.

Got a question about women and HIV treatment? Ask The Body's experts!

Talk to women about HIV at The Body's Community Center.

< Prev  |  1  |  2

More Personal Accounts of Women With HIV/AIDS

Comment by: Irene (Uganda-africa) Sat., Mar. 5, 2011 at 3:38 am EST
I thank u so much for such a good and encouraging story,its also difficult for u.s here to disclose but i ask u to atleast be a friend i can talk too about hiv coz iam also positive thanx.

Comment by: KENYATTA (MIA) Thu., Dec. 9, 2010 at 1:03 pm EST
HELLO, I READ YOUR STORY YESTERDAY AND I WAS TOUCHED. I WAS INFECTED BY MY DAUGHTERS DAD 17 YEARS AGO. HE TOLD ME NOTHING AND HE DIED MONTHS LATER MY DAUGHTER WAS AND IS HIS ONLY CHILD. THANKFUL THAT SHE NEVER TESTED POSITIVE AND I HAD 2 SONS AFTER THAT NEITHER ARE POSITIVE. KEEP YOUR HEAD UP AND BE BLESSED. I HAVE MANY DAYS OF STRUGGLING WITH IT BUT I WILL NOT LET IT GET THE BEST OF ME. BECAUSE I KNOW GOD WON'T PUT NOTHING ON ME THAT I CAN'T BARE. I JUST GOT ON MEDS AFTER ALL THOSE YRS AT FIRST IT DIDN'T LOOK GOOD BUT NOW WITH THE MEDS IM ON I GOT NEWS THAT I AM UNDETECTED. THE HARDEST PART OF IT ALL WAS TELLING MY KIDS. TO SEE THEM CRY IT BROKE MY HEART IN A MILLION PIECES. PRAY FOR ME AS I PRAY FOR YOU.

Comment by: gail (jhb,south africa) Thu., Sep. 9, 2010 at 7:55 am EDT
I'm so proud of you guys!!!

Comment by: Dee (U.K.) Sun., Jun. 6, 2010 at 2:24 pm EDT
Thanx for the encouragement girl! As you say, there is still so much stigma... I hope and pray that one day people realise HIV is just like any other illness! God bless.
Ps. At Rudo(Coventry, UK), how can l get in touch with you- would love to chat/meet?

Comment by: ODEMUYIWA ALBERT (LAGOS NIGERIA) Tue., May. 25, 2010 at 1:25 pm EDT
LADY, I LOVE YOUR COURAGE AND HOW YOU TOOK YOUR CASE. GOD WILL SEE YOU THROUGH.
CONTINUE YOUR THERAPY AND GET CLOSER TO GOD.

Comment by: tenese (london, uk) Thu., Apr. 29, 2010 at 7:16 am EDT
I have been diagnozed about 3 days ago. all i can think about is kill myself. I never suffered from any king of sexually transmitted disease or been in multiple relationships. how long do I have before i die. your story is inspiring but i am just full of guilt and thinking how could i be so stupid.

Comment by: Andrew (zambia) Mon., Apr. 12, 2010 at 7:48 am EDT
Am 26 wish i cud have the courage to go for an HIV test am just so scared of the results. Your story is so inspiring, stay blessed

Comment by: Fri., Feb. 19, 2010 at 9:25 pm EST
i,m so proud of you that took a lot,s of couage

Comment by: angela miller (nathalie va ) Tue., Feb. 16, 2010 at 1:50 am EST
I respect you gurl for gettn tested becaz I'm scared to I just don't want to know luv you
Comment by: KENYATTA (MIAMI, FLORIDA) Thu., Dec. 9, 2010 at 1:05 pm EST
sweetie its better to know then not to know, if you know you can fix it, not knowing you cant do anything to help yourself. do it for you

Comment by: Ashamed (FL) Sun., Jan. 24, 2010 at 12:24 am EST
I am 28 years old and I was diagnosed three months before I graduated college. I still don't know how long I had the disease prior to that date or who gave me the disease. It's been 7 years and I'm still angry and sad...angry because that unknown person willingly took my life and threw it away. Sad because I feel so lonely inside. I've only told my sister, who is my biggest supporter, and I've been undetectable since end of 2003 - my diagnosing year. But as I look back on my life and the decisions I made, the men I trusted, I'm angry with myself, constantly asking WHY ME? I want a healthy life, to be married with kids and as a black woman with HIV, I don't see that happening. So I remain loonely and depressed and angry and sometimes I wish I didn't wake up. Yeah there is life after HIV but is it really life if I'm afraid to disclose my status in a means to lift this heavy burden from my heart? Is it still life if I want to be married and have kids without being perceived as a walking time bomb and dead girl walking? This isn't life for me and I just await the day my Lord calls me home.
Comment by: KENYATTA (MIAMI, FLORIDA) Thu., Dec. 9, 2010 at 1:09 pm EST
hi, don't be ashamed, be thankful and give God thanks for each day. yes it is life after the diagnosis, because all ppl are not ignorant to hiv anymore. you can find good support out here and live. just pray and God to help you. be blessed

Comment by: Ronel (Moselbay south africa) Mon., Dec. 14, 2009 at 2:45 am EST
I am negative. my boyfriend tested positive in 2009. we broke up for a while last year when he met a girl and got infected. He went for testing i insisted. it was positive and he was shocked. we cried together for 1 week after that we planted a tree telling that we are going to sit under this tree when we are old people. we got married i love him more than ever. HIV changed him into the man i want him to be. we practice safe sex. we have a normal life. we life healthy every morning. we wake up we thank the lord and each other for the day. we are together. i love reading your live stories. i learn alot from you all. Even if something happens and i get infected from my husband i'm not afraid of this disease. MY HUSBAND IS ON MEDS. I make sure he takes his med. I keep him happy i motivate him and give him lots of love. thanks every one! love you all! keep on writing every day i read i do learn a lot. ronel

Comment by: S (Las Vegas, NV) Wed., Dec. 2, 2009 at 12:12 am EST
Hello Teniecka. I just read your story and it IS inspiring. After having my results for a little over 5 months, it is still VERRRRY difficult to deal with the fact that I am HIV positive. I'm a fabulous 40, with no kids. I felt initially, like most, my life was over. I was just rethinking today about the opportunities that have been taken away from me by the person I trusted and was having unprotected sex with (the only person I was having sex with for a few years). He is not the only one at fault for this because I could have attempted to use protection, but he is totally at fault for going out and being unprotected with others (even though we were not in a relationship as boyfriend and girlfriend, but friends). It is good to know that there are still some mature negative men out there that can see past the disease and really see the person and commit to them without focusing on the misfortunes of that persons past. I've only told my family, one friend, and the person that infected me. The worst thing that has happened since knowing my status and sharing it is that he was not and has not been supportive. I just continue to pray for us both and get my labs and results as needed. I am proud to say that my labs were extremely better that I thought they would be and improves on the second testing My T-Cell count is about 440 and my viral load was only about 880. These results are all without any prescription meds. I go for my third results next week and I know they will be even better than before, because GOD has his hands on me and is working his magic. GOD is the best meds available for us all. I wish you continued success, great health, tons of happiness, and congrats on you upcoming marriage. This is the first time I have posted anything about myself or shared with the outside world. It was helpful for me to do this. Thanks again for your story. I hope I can continue to share.

Comment by: Onyash (ORongai Kenya) Sat., Nov. 7, 2009 at 1:54 pm EST
Sorry mate. I will do my best to be a loving husband when i final make a decision to be one. I am under pressure to indulge but I choose to go through my relationships with my eyes open. Never fixed a woman. Under pressure from myself. deep within I want to indulge but the joys of decency and integrity supersede the short lived sexual pleasure. Its Un-African to have not fixed a woman at my age: almost 30 today! I have just participated in a poll and i learned that African And African Americans get HIV+ because they are Homophobic. Want to prove that we are a real men. Real men are Heterosexual and to prove this men my age go round the states and this continent sowing their seeds. I choose to wait for her and treat her with decency. He didn't treat you with respect and lied to your love. Dee (New York, NY) What you want for your daughter is what i have always wanted for my girl. Y'all Wish me luck as I live my life and love life. Its what we all have in common whether HIV- or HIV+ chao. People-Its difficult but worth it and will last a lifetime. In fact living in a Country and continent full of lions in the wild. Them as kings running around with lionesses, men In Africa feel like pulling such stunts and many do it. It devastates. The pressure devastates but People I will pull through. Wish me luck once again.
Never give up educating your friends and neighours.

Comment by: Deen (NANJING, CHINA) Fri., Nov. 6, 2009 at 8:57 am EST
Go a step further lady. I want you to confront the Lord. You must on the day you read this ask the Lord to cure the desease from your body.I pray for you in the name of our Holy Gost, to cast out that devilish virus from your body. Use your body to spread the gospel in its health condition. Amen. Remember to retain your faith.

Comment by: Dee (New York, NY) Mon., Oct. 26, 2009 at 7:06 pm EDT
I found out in 1997 that I was infected. I'd been with my husband since 1984 in what I thought was a monogamous relationship. It wasn't. This I only found out about 4 years ago. My siblings knew the whole time and said nothing. He had me believe he got it from a blood transfusion in 1990. His double life was quite sordid and I'm sure there are things I will never know. My kidneys failed because of HIV. He was never a kind person and we have no relationship other than co-parenting. I've had my transplant for one year now and have applied to nursing school. As soon as I can take care of myself I am outta here. By then our daughter will be in college. I was sheltered growing up and very naive. I wasn't allowed to date and only tried sex a couple of times in my early 20s. Protection was used each time. I let this person bully me into a relationship and marriage. Growing up in an abusive, mentally unstable home, it seem perfectly normal that I shouldn't be happy. I have raised a strong daughter. She knows what her father did. I pray she will marry for love and go through her relationshiops with her eyes wide open. God Bless you all.

Comment by: ms.believer (il) Mon., Oct. 19, 2009 at 5:47 pm EDT
I just found this site and like many others on here I am also positive. I found out earlier in this year 2009 when I did blood work for my pregnancy. I went through shock, pure torture. I have since then given birth to a beautiful baby boy who is neg. I told his father which he knew cause he took me to the dr. for the results but he has never shunned me because of this we continue to be intimate, protected of course. I really don't think that he is the one who gave it to me. but he has been my support and he loves me and our son and I want women to know that it is not the end of the world. None of us know what tomorrow brings and our sex-life just had to change I am a monogamous person and was only with one man but that goes to show you can never be to safe unless you practice abstinence. So please keep your heads up and stay protected. I have always had a fear of this disease and now I am forced to live with it but I do so with ferocity - this thing will not beat me. I take meds everyday and on time and I still engage in sexual activity. I do however feel like I am not giving my all but this I am getting use to cause I do not want to chance exposing him. Life is not over I have also gone back to college. I want to help people who are in the same position that I am in cause it is not the end of the world and we all can use someone to talk to.

Comment by: Helen (UK) Fri., Sep. 25, 2009 at 10:27 am EDT
may god bless you dearly

Comment by: Margaret (Nairobi Kenya ) Thu., Sep. 3, 2009 at 9:52 am EDT
you are such a strong beautiful woman ! Long live and God bless you. you are in my prayers!

Comment by: Devon (East St. Louis, IL) Mon., Aug. 24, 2009 at 7:57 pm EDT
My prayers are with you. You are such as an encouragement and I thank God for your life and your story. Be blessed and encourage beautiful woman of God.

Comment by: x Wed., Jun. 24, 2009 at 1:24 pm EDT
if it was a steer nobody would get anywhere near it.If it was food everyone would be very allergic to it. but it is through sex and love that one can be infected. How many people are not potential sufferers? that is my response to people who think like your mother did. long live all positive people. thanks for your story.

Comment by: Rudo (coventry,UK) Thu., Jun. 18, 2009 at 9:41 am EDT
Well this good--there is life after being diagnosed. I was diagnosed 9 years ago when I was a nobody,but then I have achieved goals I would never thoght I would reach. As a matter of fact I am also happily married to my negative husband who is caring and blessed with beautiful kids. Guys don't give up, and be open and don't spread the virus rather educate those who don't know. Always have a relationship with your dr and the clinic staff, taking your drugs properly. It's a shame for the undeveloped countries where medication has not reached, use God as the tooler of everything asking for health mercies. I have a sister not on medication in Zimbabwe who has been pos for the past 11 yrs. Be positive, eat more organic foods, leave the burden to God, get a partner. WHO SAID YOU CAN'T? YES WITH HIV YOU CAN!

Comment by: PAUL (NAIROBI KENYA) Sat., Jun. 6, 2009 at 6:07 am EDT
IT DOES NOT MATTER HOW YOU GOT INFECTED. WHAT IS IMPORTANT IS HOW YOU ARE COOPING WITH THE CONDITION. HIV IS NOT A DEATH SENTENCE. YOU MAY NOT DIE OF IT BUT THERE ARE MILLIONS OF OTHER CAUSES OF DEATH. EG ROAD ACCIDENT. EARTH QUAKE ETC, SO WHY WORRY?

Comment by: KEMI ALARAPE (Port Harcourt Nigeria) Thu., Jun. 4, 2009 at 8:53 am EDT
I THANK GOD FOR YOUR LIFE.YOU ARE A BUNDLE OF ENCOURAGEMENT TO THE WORLD AT LARGE.CHEERS.

Comment by: steffanie (ft myers fl) Wed., May. 27, 2009 at 8:06 pm EDT
when i was first find out i was positive my doctor told me of this site and your story was one of the first i read. u was strong and seem to move on great. it moved me to know that there was life after being positive. i have a great family, i mean really great. after a year i'm undetected and moving on with life and i give a little of that to ur story and the wonderful works of god who i trust in dearly without his grace i don't know where i would be. the town i live in has no support group to help people and i think this is why god has kept me here to reach out to young woman just last week i went to the doctor and he ask me to speak to a young lady around my age which i'm 30 and got it though a boyfriend who i believe knew he was positive. the doctor told me when she asked if he knew anyone who she could talk to. he only thought of me cause i was happy healthy and had pulled myself from a long ways. i thank you and may god bless and keep u always

Comment by: xolelwa (south africa , johannesburg) Wed., May. 6, 2009 at 3:23 pm EDT
IT IS BY THE GRACE OF GOD ALMIGHTY THAT HE GAVE US EVERY DAY THAT WE MUST LIVE FOR US IS TO THANK HIM BY ALL THAT WE HAVE EVERY DAY WHEN WE WAKE UP. IT IS NOT IN OUR POWER TO SURVIVE THE DREADFUL DISEASE BUT FOR HIM TO SHOW HIS LOVE TO US. PRAYER AND TOTAL DEPENDENCE TO GOD IS OUR POWER OF STRENGTH AND SURVIVAL. HE LOVED US AS EVERYBODY NO MATTER WE ARE LIVING WITH A DRAGON IN OUR BODIES. HE SHOW US THAT HE LOVE US AS WE ARE. IT IS NOT OUR SINS OR OUR FORFATHERS SINS BUT FOR ME GOD HAS SHOWN HIS LOVE TO US AND IF HE (GOD) GIVES GRAPES, WE MUST MAKE GRAPE JUICE AND REALLY DWELL ON IT BECAUSE EVERY DAY HE IS OUR STRENGTH. WE MUST JUST PUT OUR HOPE TO HIM FOR HIM HE CARES ABOUT US SO MUCH. THANKS SISTER MAY GOD PUT HIS HANDS OVER US AND SEAL US WITH THE BLOOD OF THE HOLY GHOST, AND FIGHT FOR US BECAUSE IN LIFE WE ARE IN A BATTLE BEING HIV POSITIVE OR NOT WE HAVE TO FIGHT FOR SURVIVAL. GOD BLESS YOU ALL IN HIS PROMISE OF THE HOLY SPIRIT BECAUSE AGAIN WE ARE NOT ALONE. IN HIM WE ARE THE WINNERS. THANK YOU ALL.
XOLELWA .JHB.

Comment by: sheila dextra (miami fl) Tue., Apr. 28, 2009 at 12:12 pm EDT
i am writting a story and i came across your story i just wanted to say you are a very brave woman and u are in my thoughts and prayers

Comment by: Amanda Hannah (Milwaukee,Wisconsin) Thu., Apr. 23, 2009 at 11:54 am EDT
How old are you and are you doing more better then when you find out that you was diagnosed with HIV....I'm in high school and I'm research about HIV/AIDS but your story really caught my attention.I will be writing about your story and want I got out of it....I wish the best for you and your family because I know you been threw alot and I also want to know want would you of done if you was ever thought about HIV/AIDS in school?Do you ever go to high school to talk teenagers like me?I hope you teach people who don't know about HIV about it so they would know so they can't say no one told them because their are teens my age that parents don't care want they do so if a person who been threw it should be a help for their life and I hope you could be the one.....GOD BLESS YOU......

Comment by: dee rhodes (williamsport pa) Thu., Apr. 23, 2009 at 12:33 am EDT
Hey Teniecka I'm also living with hiv since 2006. i found out on my birthday. My ex for 5 years and he knew he had it for 10 years and never told me. Yes, i was hurt and some days i'm still heart. but i keep going. I tried to put him in jail but my lawyer told me it will be his word against mines. I see him every day with his girlfriend and he told me he told her. He took my choice away but i'm okay i have loving friends and family.

Comment by: Racheal (Birmingham, Al) Fri., Feb. 20, 2009 at 6:26 pm EST
Your story is very inspiring. I am 15 years old and i dont have HIV, but i do admire you for being very positive about the situation. and I am so happy that you are honest from jump about having HIV. It's very few people who want to be that honest with people and they just sit around and spread it to others. Through your story and many others i have come to know that when i do decide to have intercourse with a boy that i should use protection and be safe and never to risk my life for a little pleasure that won't even last that long.... continue to stay positive!

Comment by: Yolanda L. (Cleveland,MS) Thu., Jan. 29, 2009 at 11:16 pm EST
Your story has touched my heart and i pray that your story reaches some one so maybe they can open up and help some one else.

MAY GOD BLESS AND KEEP YOU!!

Comment by: Chanel (Houston,Texas) Thu., Jan. 29, 2009 at 2:18 pm EST
I was expose to Hiv my test came back neg and I go for the next one next week your story touch me to be positive no matter what.

Comment by: Rachel (Harare, zimbabwe) Wed., Jan. 14, 2009 at 8:52 am EST
I am so proud of you doll, reading your story had motivated me more. I too am hiv positive, for almost 7 years now and the Lord has given me strength to carry on with life and not give up. Just because we have it doesn't mean we will die tomorrow. Amen and all the best to you girl!! Bless You...

Comment by: Harvett (East Cleveland, OH) Mon., Dec. 1, 2008 at 1:28 pm EST
I am glad to hear that your viral load is undetectable. I wish that you didn't have HIV. I feel that a lot of churches should talk more about the horrific disease. We need to stop playing holier than thou and use what God (Allah, Christ, whoever you consider to be your messiah) gave you. Take care.

Comment by: hadija lema (africa-tanzania) Thu., Nov. 20, 2008 at 1:16 am EST
Thank for your disclosure. Please keep teaching the community the importance of testing and disclosure. May god bless you.

Comment by: Elder Iris (Bronx, New York) Thu., Nov. 6, 2008 at 7:50 pm EST
Hi there Teniecka, you stand your ground and keep your faith! You are a strong young woman! Thank God for his mercy. I strongly believe that the lord will turn your situation around for good, continue to seek God for he is your healer! Read: Phil 4:13 "I can do everything through him that strengthens me." ~~~~~~~JESUS LOVES YOU!~~~~~~~~~~

Comment by: mritznm2AOL.COM (NEW YORK CITY) Sun., Oct. 26, 2008 at 12:40 pm EDT
YOUR STORY WAS SO INSPIRING. IT TOUCHED ME TO THE CORE. I AM ALSO HIV SINCE 2005.DON'T NO HOW I GOT IT. I HAVE A BOYFRIEND OF 10 YRS, HE IS NEG. BUT BEFORE HIM I HAD A RELATOINSHIP.THIS PERSON GOT VERY SICK AND A FEW MONTHS LATER HE WAS IN THE HOSPITAL. HE TOLD ME HE HAD CANCER AND DIED FAST. I STILL DON'T UNDERSTAND. BUT I AM OK WITH MYSELF. I AM UNDETECTABLE. MY RELATIONSHIP WITH MY LIVE IN BOYFRIEND IS ON THE ROCKS. DON'T NO WHAT TO DO WITH THAT. I AM HAPPY TO ALSO LEARN THAT YOU ARE HAPPY AND ARE GETTING MARRIED. BEST OF LUCK. GOD BLESS YOU ALWAYS

Comment by: July (Houston, Texas) Tue., Oct. 14, 2008 at 1:58 am EDT
Thank you for opening up and being detail about your life. You still have faith in GOD, which is admirable. Up until now I hadn't admitted it, but I think I had lost my faith. You have given me hope and courage to live a day at a time. My family doesn't know. I would like to tell them, but I don't want them to worry with my burdens, especially my sweet mother. I went to the doctor today and got back on my meds.

Thank you for sharing your life.

Comment by: Babygirl 79 (Natchitoches, LA) Thu., Oct. 2, 2008 at 1:03 pm EDT
To read a story so close and similiar to mine is really inspiring. I too contracted the disease while in a monogamous relationship. i was 28 then and now 29. I have had the disease over a year and some months now, I too was hurt and afraid about the whole situation. All I could do was think that I was going to eventually die from this. When I told him about it he was cool. He couldn't believe that I had it and that he couldn't have given it to me. Although I had tested two months before, we became intimate and after only a few months I got tested again and it was positive. Although he tested negative the first time, I'm not sure about the last few times since we no longer talk to each other. I'm not blaming him or anyone else, but this has really changed my life. I still have not yet come to terms of having this disease and the affect on my life, but to read your story gives me a bit of hope that I too can still get married have kids with a successful career without the barriers. and I know that God has a purpose for us all. Maybe my purpose is to bring awareness to my community about the effects and stigma of getting tested, the results and living with the virus. But thanks for that ray of hope in my life. you have brought tears of joy to my eyes!

Comment by: Sibongile (South Africa) Thu., Sep. 11, 2008 at 10:06 am EDT
Like you, the only person I could turn to was GOD and it really kept me going while I was waiting for results for my CD4 count. My faith is what has brought me this far (6 months). I am still not in a position to talk about it but have come to terms with it. I have not been able to tell my boyfriend, he stays far and we have not seen each other since I was diagonised but am taking each day as it comes. Thanks sister for sharing your story

Comment by: lisa (nj) Sat., Sep. 6, 2008 at 12:56 pm EDT
I love your story. it is so inspirational. be blessed and keep looking up to GOD. I love to hear inspirational stories as yours. it always seems to lift my spirit up. i am a tru believer of supernatural healing from GOD. I know that there is nothing impossible for him to do. he is willing and able to do all things but fail. I love the lord so much. some christians say that I don't have enough faith to stop taking my meds. I believe that if and when GOD heals me he will do just that whether I'm taking my meds or not. he will show his self approved. I am so happy that I found this site on the internet. it really has all of the info that I need. the people are very helpful.

Comment by: pamela magp=ona (south africa) Thu., Sep. 4, 2008 at 7:58 am EDT
Thank you very much for your inspiring story. I am HIV positive as well.

Comment by: Lisa Mysnyk (Atlanta, GA) Fri., Aug. 22, 2008 at 12:52 am EDT
Hi Teniecka, I love and admire you. I am also HIV positive. I've been positive since 2003. Ever since I've been educating myself and others. I am a motivational speaker and a peer counselor for HIV/Aids. There is no shame in my game. My motto is 'I rather be fat and blessed than skinny and stressed'. Keep your head up girl. I love you sister. I hope one day we can meet and fellowship.

Comment by: t Sun., Aug. 10, 2008 at 5:10 pm EDT
You are very inspiring. I am awaiting my HIV results and I am so nervous. Your story (and the others on this site) has given me hope. Thank you.

Comment by: Matt Moovas Tue., Jul. 29, 2008 at 12:58 pm EDT
My diaryhivaids yahoo group was meant to provide an outlet for my expressing my suferings, frustrutions and perhaps hopes as I live with HIV/AIDS Kindly join the group and if possible provide some encouragements like you have done in this wonderful article.

Comment by: Gary Smith Mon., Jul. 21, 2008 at 4:51 pm EDT
Howdy old friend, I do miss ya' !
Lots of hearts!
Gary
write me, I'm in the book, call too!