HIV/AIDS Resource Center for African Americans
Kai Chandler Lois Crenshaw Gary Paul Wright Fortunata Kasege Keith Green Lois Bates Greg Braxton Vanessa Austin Bernard Jackson

Larry Bryant

January 2006

< Prev  |  1  |  2  |  3

Disclosure, Relationships and Sex

How have your relationships with family and friends changed since you were diagnosed?

I took me five years before I mentioned it to anyone, and the first person I mentioned it to was my mom. My family has been supportive, my parents and brothers and sisters. They were the first people who were excited when I started doing this work, and they have followed me -- especially my dad, almost as closely with this as when I played football, and kept my articles and ... I've been very fortunate to have that support from my family.

With friends and, in particular, sexual relationships, it's been tough. I've always been a little shy and to myself, despite the fact that I played sports and everything. So finding out my status at that age, in college, already a little withdrawn -- it shut me down a lot. A lot of the normal social development that I would have had through my whole 20s never happened. So I find myself now where I still feel like a little 18-year-old kid, shy and reluctant to talk with people, uncomfortable with meeting new people -- and then to put the whole, you know, "Is this someone I disclose to, do I even want to bother?" thing on it! So over time I've gone through a lot of scenarios where it just scared the hell out of me, and sometimes I just feel safer not dealing with anyone.

I've been in situations where someone, to prove that they still accept you, want to have sex right away. Like "Let's have sex!" just to prove that they're OK with it. And no! That's not necessary -- just be you! I'm gonna be me, and just let things happen naturally.

How do you decide whether to disclose your HIV status to someone?

Ideally, I want to be able to disclose, and to have the person on the other end accept me. But in reality -- and this might be my own rationalizing -- there's always something that we're not really comfortable about. It could be our eating habits or what our favorite TV show is or something that happened in our past that we feel less than comfortable revealing, so it's the same way on the surface. But I try ... It's interesting now that because of my job, in a lot of cases people already know I'm positive before I get there. It's completely different, though, when you meet somebody one-on-one and they have no idea who I am -- and it scares me to death. It just goes to a point of "Do I feel comfortable with this person?" And, of course, there's a certain level of comfort and timing that has to happen where you just say, "OK, now! This is it!"

What is the best response you have ever gotten from telling someone?

The best response is when it's not a big deal. I don't want to say, "I'm HIV positive", and then all of a sudden it's like, "Ohhhhh!" and all this caring -- I just want it to be that I'm still Larry. I know there are probably things that go on in the other person's mind, questions that arise, but it's best when they treat me just the same.

What is the worst response?

There was a time when there was someone I really liked, more or less from a distance. But people, when they find out -- and sometimes it's a passive disclosure, where we might get in a roundabout conversation or they might see an article about me -- I purposely just wait to see what their reaction is gonna be. And you have people who, literally, leave skid marks -- you never hear from them again. They don't want to have anything to do with you. And I don't care how confident I am with myself, I never get used to that.

How do you deal when that happens?

I would be lying if I said I'm not disappointed or my feelings not hurt at the very least, but you carry it and you move on and you wait for it to wear off. No matter how bad it feels, I know it will pass. I think that's one reason why I stay active and work and do so many things, because then things tend to rotate out of my head a lot faster.

Where do you go for support?

Well, I know what I tell other people to do: Go to anyone you feel comfortable being around and not have to talk with. Those are the best friends, people who are not always asking, "How do you feel? What's wrong?"

I have my family. I have people whom I drive crazy because I don't talk to them when they insist they are there. I have a bad habit of just staying to myself. I've grown up that way, and I keep telling myself that one day I'm not going to do this, but I always find myself just going back to myself. Sometimes I think that has alienated a lot of potential relationships -- I don't do it on purpose, but it's who I've become, and a lot of who I've become has been molded by the fact that when I found out I was positive, I was 18 and I wasn't developed.

Do you have a policy about if or when you tell a sex partner that you are positive?

Right now, I don't have to worry about it because I don't really have a whole lot of potential sex partners. Ideally, you want to have that discussion long before, you know, that particular time. At least that's my perspective. But disclosure is a personal decision that everyone makes -- there is no cookie-cutter method. I say just listen to your heart, because I think with every person and every situation it's different.

Do you feel that if you practice safe sex, it is necessary to tell a sex partner that you are positive?

As long as you're not putting anyone else at risk, you really can't be faulted for your timing. But I tell people, "If you're going to put someone else in a position like that, you better know how that person is gonna take it." Because if you have sex, whether it's protected or not, and then tell them later, "Oh yeah, by the way, I'm positive," well, that can be tricky also. You don't know how that person's going to take it, and you don't know what their level of knowledge is. I tell people, "Just think about if it was you. There is no right or wrong answer -- just think about it deeply before you put someone else in that situation."

Resolutions, Adventures and Wishes

Did you make any New Year's resolutions?

I think of them more as goals, and not have them necessarily start at the beginning of the year. If there's one thing, I want to be more effective in what I do -- never be afraid to learn more or to reach out ... just step out on that branch and experience a little more.

What's the biggest adventure you've ever had?

I think I'm living it now, actually. Getting involved with C2EA, first as a participant and then as an organizer, and not just doing the job or having the title of national field organizer, but being in the position to help individuals identify their own potential.

If you were granted one wish, what would it be?

If I were granted one wish, I want my Waiting to Exhale moment. I want my moment where I'm sitting somewhere -- I could be anywhere, but there's that split second in time where everything is just right. I am in the perfect place, exactly where I want to be, with exactly whom I want to be with, and everything is exactly the way it should be.

What books, movies, music or TV shows have had a big influence on you?

I watch a lot of movies -- I think that's part of my whole getting into theater, because I love stories -- especially stories driven by emotion or evolution, that have a growth in them. I get inspiration from a lot of movies like Love Jones where people are figuring themselves out with someone through their ups and downs.

I love reading about Arthur Ashe [the tennis player and AIDS activist who got HIV from a blood transfusion] and all the different aspects of his life, and the challenges that he had, and the way he overcame most of them.

I think if we're open-minded, we find inspiration in most things -- we don't have to look too hard, and I don't think we should be too selective.

Anything else you'd like The Body's readers to know about you?

I was talking with one of my coworkers back in Texas about what the one thing is that you want people to remember when you do interviews or presentations or whatever, the one thing you want them to come away with from what you've said. And she said, "Well, make sure you tell people that you're straight." Because people just automatically assume that because I'm positive and I work in the field, I'm probably gay. They don't do it in a negative way, but it's just assumed.

I want people to see me how they want to see me. If it means that I need to tell people that I'm heterosexual, I'm a black male who's never been incarcerated or a drug user, and I'm positive -- if that means something to someone, that's great. But I just think it's more important for people to know who they are, rather than who I am or who I am not. And I think that if we are much more open and comfortable with ourselves, then the communication we have with others is a lot easier to do.

Click here to e-mail Larry Bryant.

< Prev  |  1  |  2  |  3

More Personal Accounts of Heterosexual Men With HIV/AIDS

Comment by: l. a la foucade (West hyattsville MD) Thu., May. 17, 2012 at 7:26 pm EDT
Larry I just want to say, what you are doing is nothing short but amazing.

Comment by: Melanie (Saginaw,MI) Mon., Nov. 14, 2011 at 5:11 pm EST
Im researching a paper for class and your article has truly inspired me. My friend told me 3 months ago that he was HIV positive. I want to truly be there for him.I was wondering if you do any inspirational teachings. Staying in saginaw I believe that its not enough sexual awareness.. Well I keep in contact..Again you truly are a inspiration GOD BLESS YOU!!!!

Comment by: James (Iowa) Tue., Jun. 14, 2011 at 12:12 am EDT
I praise God for your article. It has help me in more ways than one. I would like to get in touch with you to seek more information with what I'm dealing with. I'll be in touch. Stay strong. Your testimony is such blessing. God bless.

Comment by: Uwakwe (Jos, Nigeria) Sun., Jun. 5, 2011 at 9:31 am EDT
For many of us living in this part of the world(Nigeria)it is very unfortunate that we do not want face the facts of HIV. That is to say that, to face the reality is very difficult. I appreciate ur courage Larry, keep on. Know that ur impact IS POSITIVE in combating HIV

Comment by: Debb (Malaysia.) Thu., Nov. 11, 2010 at 11:33 pm EST
you're a living saga . i just found out that my 18 yrs nephew diagnose with HIV. i'll print out your story for him. thank you.

Comment by: diane (washington,dc) Wed., Nov. 10, 2010 at 2:56 pm EST
I Feel that in dc we do not have good housing for people livin with Hiv and Aids and we do not have all the thing that we need to get by and i think housing and HUD do not help so what can we do or ho can we talk to to help us get throw this thing that we have to dill with,i do not like the fact of having to go to the hopital all the time because of bing sick and being away for my kids and not being home with them.but god help me throw it all

Comment by: Kyana (New York, NY) Tue., Nov. 9, 2010 at 9:23 am EST
hey Larry!
I am a high school student from New York. I attend Forsyth Satellite Academy. We are dedicating a day to AIDS awareness on December 1st. Its will be a honor if you can take time out of your schedule to advocate young adults who are unaware about the HIV/AIDS era.

Comment by: SMALL (South Africa) Wed., Jun. 2, 2010 at 7:15 am EDT
Larry, you are very inspiring.

Comment by: Ninja (Philippines) Wed., Feb. 24, 2010 at 8:53 pm EST

I like what you said about tasting food more, breathing the air more... You appreciate the simple things in life more.

To me you're even than those who do not have HIV. A virus is but a condition. This condition did not destroy your person. It just mad it better. Thanks for inspiring us. Stay well and inspire more

Comment by: Ed (NY) Tue., Dec. 29, 2009 at 1:57 am EST
Very inspiring comments. Keep sharing your positive spirit.

Comment by: Ely Thu., Sep. 3, 2009 at 9:48 am EDT
Larry, I am truly inspired by you. I would like to talk to you more. Go to my blog ladycliche.com and leave a comment. I think I can gain more insight from you to blog about. Thanks! Stay encouraged and be blessed.

Comment by: kristianna (uk) Sat., Jul. 25, 2009 at 11:01 pm EDT
kool, smart, goodlooking guy! u go boy and am single if u're available! fancy u to bits and God bless u.x

Comment by: Phyl (Washington, DC) Tue., Jul. 21, 2009 at 12:13 pm EDT
Not everyone is going to become or stay famous friends...but seeking vengence of anykind backfires. Mr.Bryant does some VERY important work for others and shows guts to give such a open interview to satisfy other peoples curiosity about the man behind the title/work.Best regards and stay true to your spirit.

Comment by: Ms.R (Washington) Wed., Apr. 15, 2009 at 8:28 pm EDT
Please stop! Remember what the fight is? Its about and should stay on the fact that many more have HIV and need help! This is not the place to go after someone who has hurt you. Be the bigger person! I have lost so many dear people to HIV-AIDS, my heart still weep's to this day. Larry, stay strong, may GOD keep you near.

Comment by: False (DC) Tue., Apr. 14, 2009 at 4:00 pm EDT
I know Larry and he is NOT a predator NOR is he lying about his status. Please disregard her rantings.

Comment by: NotTrue (Washington) Tue., Apr. 14, 2009 at 3:19 pm EDT
This is not true. This woman has going around spreading rumors and stories about Larry. I believe its a case of a woman scorned. Please disregard her comments.

Comment by: Ms.R (Washington) Mon., Apr. 13, 2009 at 5:00 pm EDT
I would like to know is this true, is Mr. Bryant lieing about his staus? And using his HIV, to prey on women? If so, he has preyed on me also.

Comment by: Zawa (South Africa ) Tue., Apr. 7, 2009 at 2:34 am EDT
This man is lying about all of this including his staus he is using HIV and his work to prey on women

Comment by: Felleng (Florida) Fri., Feb. 27, 2009 at 9:17 pm EST
Larry I complement you for your the work you are doing and being so genuine about your status. All I can say is GOD loves you and we love you all. I just wish more people in my country of LESOTHO can be more open...GOD BLESS YOU LARRY

Comment by: Berlin Bernardo (Philippines) Fri., Feb. 13, 2009 at 3:46 am EST
i want to keep in touch with him if possible

Comment by: Glo (Maryland) Thu., Jan. 29, 2009 at 4:00 am EST
Hello Larry, I read your story. Very Very inspiring. I'm a African American Female H+ and share alot of your same feelings. I just never expressed them. I admire you being so open and honest.
Gloria

Comment by: Debra Howze (Charlotte) Fri., Jan. 2, 2009 at 2:49 pm EST
You need to call me Larry.

Comment by: RKE Mon., Aug. 18, 2008 at 11:03 am EDT
Larry Bryant's e-mail address is available just above the comments section. It is: Bryant2@housingworks.org

Comment by: sarah Sun., Aug. 17, 2008 at 6:18 pm EDT
you are beautiful

Comment by: victor claros Wed., Aug. 13, 2008 at 3:22 pm EDT
I would like to get in touch with Larry Bryant. Please give him my contact info or let me know how I can do that. Thanks. we are friends but lost contact about a year ago. Victor Claros