Increasing Number of Zimbabweans Living With HIV/AIDS Accessing Antiretroviral Treatment in Mozambique
March 4, 2008
As economic conditions in Zimbabwe worsen, an increasing number of people living with HIV/AIDS in the country are crossing the border into Mozambique to access no-cost antiretroviral drugs, AFP/Yahoo! News reports.
According to UNAIDS, 15.6% of Zimbabwe's adults ages 15 to 49 are affected by HIV/AIDS. The number of Zimbabweans who have crossed into Mozambique has increased significantly since the countries removed visa requirements in November 2007. Illegal migration also has increased because of a backlog in issuing passports to Zimbabweans seeking to travel to Mozambique. Provincial Migration Service Director Felipe Cumbe said that 22,636 Zimbabweans, mostly women, in January crossed the Mozambican border legally at three posts in Manica, compared with 8,971 in January 2007. He said, "They are allowed to stay for 30 days, but 85% make their purchases and return. We don't know what happens to the other 15%" (AFP/Yahoo! News, 3/2).
Zimbabwe: Women Report 4,000 Percent Increase in Cost of Month's Supply of HIV/AIDS Drugs in January
HIV-Positive People Seeking No-Cost Antiretrovirals in Zimbabwe to Increase Following Procurement of T Cell Tests, AIDS Council Says
This article was provided by Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation. It is a part of the publication Kaiser Daily HIV/AIDS Report. Visit the Kaiser Family Foundation's website to find out more about their activities, publications and services.