Print this page    •   Back to Web version of article

International News
Philippines: Manila Residents Ask Court to Stop Ban on Contraceptives in City

January 31, 2008

On Wednesday, a group of residents in the Philippines' capital city asked the Court of Appeals to halt the implementation of an order that bans the distribution of contraceptives in Manila's health centers and hospitals. The directive, issued by former Mayor Lito Atienza in February 2000, bans the distribution of contraceptives such as condoms, birth control pills, and intrauterine devices.

The ban mostly affects poor women, said the petitioners, most of whom are women. "The issuance and continuing enforcement of [the order] has resulted in the ongoing and deliberate deprivation of public access to reproductive health information and artificial contraception to residents of the city of Manila," said the group.

The petitioners said they have attempted to convince current Mayor Alfredo Lim to repeal the order, but they have been unsuccessful. "So it's now the court that can best decide on this," said Junice Demetrio Melgar, executive director of Likhaan, an organization that promotes reproductive health rights and is supporting the petitioners.

Melgar said her organization and the petitioners hope the court will set a legal precedent that will deter other local governments from issuing similar orders and policies.

Back to other news for January 2008

Excerpted from:
Deutsche Presse-Agentur

This article was provided by CDC National Prevention Information Network. It is a part of the publication CDC HIV/Hepatitis/STD/TB Prevention News Update. You can find this article online by typing this address into your Web browser:

General Disclaimer: is designed for educational purposes only and is not engaged in rendering medical advice or professional services. The information provided through should not be used for diagnosing or treating a health problem or a disease. It is not a substitute for professional care. If you have or suspect you may have a health problem, consult your health care provider.