Illinois: Abbott Stresses Dosage
August 14, 2007
North Chicago-based Abbott Laboratories reports that a prematurely born HIV-positive infant recently died after being given an accidental overdose of its Kaletra Oral Solution. In a letter to health care professionals posted on the Food and Drug Administration's Web site, Abbott said the 44-day-old baby was given about 10 times the appropriate dose of the drug and died of severe heart damage. For more information, visit www.fda.gov/medwatch/safety/2007/Kaletra_DHCP.pdf.
This article was provided by U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. It is a part of the publication CDC HIV/Hepatitis/STD/TB Prevention News Update. Visit the CDC's website to find out more about their activities, publications and services.