The following data represent the cumulative totals of reported AIDS cases in Wisconsin.
Included are the total number of reported AIDS cases, and the number of reported AIDS cases by
demographic category in Wisconsin.
Total Reported AIDS Cases
AdvertisementReported AIDS Cases By Race/Ethnicity
- In Wisconsin, the cumulative number of reported AIDS cases from the beginning of
the epidemic in 1981 through 1996, is 2,786.
- 270 cases were reported in Wisconsin in the past year.
- In Wisconsin, the cumulative total number of reported AIDS cases among the
following populations is:
|White, not Hispanic-
(66.19% of the total case count.)
(25.23% of the total case count.)
(7.29% of the total case count.)
(0.32% of the total case count.)
|American Indian/Alaskan Native-
(0.93% of the total case count.)
Reported AIDS Cases By Gender
- In Wisconsin, 10.55% of the total number of reported AIDS cases are among
Reported AIDS Cases By Age
- In Wisconsin, the percentage of the cumulative total number of reported AIDS cases
among the following age groups is:
Adolescent and Young Adults-
* Data in this summary was compiled by AIDS Action Council. Epidemiological data was
provided by the Center for Disease Control. Funding amounts were provided by the
appropriate federal agency, and are from the most current fiscal year that state-by-state data is
The State of Wisconsin received a total of $19,757,785 in federal funding for AIDS programs in
In FY 1996, $5,316,576 was provided to Wisconsin by the CDC for prevention programs. These funds
were allocated to state and local health departments and community-based organizations to finance counseling and
testing programs, public information and health education/risk reduction activities, and for monitoring the epidemic
(AIDS case surveillance programs).
1. Ryan White CARE Act
- In FY 1996, $3,022,679 was provided to Wisconsin by the Health Resources and Services
Administration (HRSA) for health care and supportive services for people living with AIDS (PLWAs) under the Ryan
White CARE Act.
Title II -- $1,840,433
-- Funds to state health depts. for medical and support services for PLWAs - $1,571,609
-- AIDS Drug Assistance Program (ADAP), funding for purchase of HIV/AIDS prescription
drugs - $268,824
Title IIIB -- $332,800
-- Funds to community-based clinics and migrant health clinics to provide outpatient early intervention and
primary medical services for PLWAs.
Title IV -- $264,464
-- Funds to support pediatric, adolescent, and family HIV care programs.
-- AIDS Educational and Training Center (AETC) programs - $585,000
2. Housing Opportunities for People With AIDS (HOPWA)
- In FY 1996, no money was provided to Wisconsin by the Department of Housing and Urban
Development (HUD) under the Housing Opportunities for People With AIDS (HOPWA) program. HOPWA
provides for HIV-specific housing programs, 90% through formula grants, and the remaining 10% on a competitive
basis to projects of national significance.
National Institutes of Health (NIH)
- In FY 1996, the NIH allocated $11,418,512 to universities and other institutions in Wisconsin to conduct
AIDS Action Council
1875 Connecticut Avenue, Suite 700
Washington, DC 20009