The following data represent the cumulative totals of reported AIDS cases in Virginia. Included
are the total number of reported AIDS cases, and the number of reported AIDS cases by
demographic category in Virginia.
Total Reported AIDS Cases
AdvertisementReported AIDS Cases By Race/Ethnicity
- In Virginia, the cumulative number of reported AIDS cases from the beginning of the
epidemic in 1981 through 1996, is 9,104.
- 1,195 cases were reported in Virginia in the past year.
- In Virginia, the cumulative total number of reported AIDS cases among the following
|White, not Hispanic-
(48.31% of the total case count.)
(47.91% of the total case count.)
(3.05% of the total case count.)
(0.55% of the total case count.)
|American Indian/Alaskan Native-
(0.13% of the total case count.)
Reported AIDS Cases By Gender
- In Virginia, 14.13% of the total number of reported AIDS cases are among Women.
Reported AIDS Cases By Age
- In Virginia, the percentage of the cumulative total number of reported AIDS cases
among the following age groups is:
Adolescent and Young Adults-
* Data in this summary was compiled by AIDS Action Council. Epidemiological data was
provided by the Centers for Disease Control. Funding amounts were provided by the
appropriate federal agency, and are from the most current fiscal year that state-by-state data is
The Commonwealth of Virginia received a total of $25,698,497 in federal funding for AIDS programs in FY 1996.
- In FY 1996, $11,265,974 was provided to Virginia by the CDC for prevention programs. These funds
were allocated to state and local health departments and community-based organizations to finance counseling and
testing programs, public information and health education/risk reduction activities, and for monitoring the epidemic
(AIDS case surveillance programs).
1. Ryan White CARE Act
- In FY 1996, $6,315,412 was provided to Virginia by the Health Resources and Services Administration
(HRSA) for health care and supportive services for people living with AIDS (PLWAs) under the Ryan White CARE
Title II -- $5,365,718
-- Funds to state health depts. for medical and support services for PLWAs- $4,465,646
-- AIDS Drug Assistance Program (ADAP), funding for the purchase of HIV/AIDS
prescription drugs- $900,072
-- AIDS Education and Training Centers (AETC's)- $931,700
-- HIV/AIDS Dental Reimbursement Program- $17,994
2. Housing Opportunities for People With AIDS (HOPWA)
- In FY 1996, $1,095,000 was provided to Virginia by the Department of Housing and Urban Development
under the Housing Opportunities for People With AIDS (HOPWA) program. HOPWA provides HIV-specific
housing programs, 90% through formula grants, and the remaining 10% on a competitive basis to projects of
National Institutes of Health (NIH)
- In FY 1996, the NIH allocated $7,022,111 to universities and other institutions in Virginia to conduct AIDS
AIDS Action Council
1875 Connecticut Avenue, Suite 700
Washington, DC 20009