The following data represent the cumulative totals of reported AIDS cases in Texas. Included
are the total number of reported AIDS cases, and the number of reported AIDS cases by
demographic category in Texas.
Total Reported AIDS Cases
- In Texas, the cumulative number of reported AIDS cases from the beginning of the
epidemic in 1981 through 1996, is 39,871.
- 4,830 cases were reported in Texas in the past year.
Reported AIDS Cases By Race/Ethnicity
- In Texas, the cumulative total number of reported AIDS cases among the following
|White, not Hispanic-
(57.89% of the total case count.)
(24.50% of the total case count.)
(17.15% of the total case count.)
(0.30% of the total case count.)
|American Indian/Alaskan Native-|
(0.14% of the total case count.)
Reported AIDS Cases By Gender
- In Texas, 9.07% of the total number of reported AIDS cases are among Women.
Reported AIDS Cases By Age
- In Texas, the percentage of the cumulative total number of reported AIDS cases
among the following age groups is:
Adolescent and Young Adults-
* Data in this summary was compiled by AIDS Action Council. Epidemiological data was
provided by the Centers for Disease Control. Funding amounts were provided by the
appropriate federal agency, and are from the most current fiscal year that state-by-state data is
The State of Texas received a total of $111,434,941 in federal funding for AIDS programs in FY 1996.
- In FY 1996, $17,782,817 was provided to Texas by the CDC for prevention programs. These funds were
allocated to state and local health departments and community-based organizations to finance counseling and
testing programs, public information and health education/risk reduction activities, and for monitoring the epidemic
(AIDS case surveillance programs).
1. Ryan White CARE Act
- In FY 1996, $47,478,651 was provided to Texas by the Health Resources and Services Administration
(HRSA) for health care and supportive services for people living with AIDS (PLWAs) under the Ryan White CARE
Title I -- $25,183,672
-- Emergency funds for care services to the following metropolitan areas: Austin $2,398,671; Dallas
$7,820,653; Fort Worth $2,255,398; Houston $10,312,524 and San Antonio $2,396,426
Title II -- $16,132,517
-- Funds to state health depts. for medical and support services for PLWAs- $12,636,414
-- AIDS Drug Assistance Program (ADAP), funding for the purchase of HIV/AIDS prescription drugs-
Title IIIb -- $2,636,078
-- Funds to community-based clinics and migrant health clinics to provide outpatient early intervention and
primary medical services for PLWAs.
Title IV -- $2,022,289
-- Funds to support pediatric, adolescent, and family HIV care programs.
-- Special Projects of National Significance (SPNS)- $782,567
-- AIDS Education and Training Centers (AETC's)- $591,389
-- HIV/AIDS Dental Reimbursement Program- $130,139
2. Housing Opportunities for People With AIDS (HOPWA)
- In FY 1996, $8,248,000 in formula grants and $1,200,000 in competitive grants were provided to Texas
by the Department of Housing and Urban Development under the Housing Opportunities for People With AIDS
(HOPWA) program. HOPWA provides HIV-specific housing programs, 90% through formula grants, and the
remaining 10% on a competitive basis to projects of national significance.
National Institutes of Health (NIH)
- In FY 1996, the NIH allocated $36,725,473 to universities and other institutions in Texas to conduct AIDS
AIDS Action Council
1875 Connecticut Avenue, Suite 700
Washington, DC 20009