The following data represent the cumulative totals of reported AIDS cases in Tennessee.
0Included are the total number of reported AIDS cases, and the number of reported AIDS cases by
demographic category in Tennessee.
Total Reported AIDS Cases
AdvertisementReported AIDS Cases By Race/Ethnicity
- In Tennessee, the cumulative number of reported AIDS cases from the beginning of
the epidemic in 1981 through 1996, is 5,536.
- 826 cases were reported in Tennessee in the past year.
- In Tennessee, the cumulative total number of reported AIDS cases among the
following populations is:
|White, not Hispanic-
(58.92% of the total case count.)
(39.70% of the total case count.)
(1.17% of the total case count.)
(0.07% of the total case count.)
|American Indian/Alaskan Native-
(0.11% of the total case count.)
Reported AIDS Cases By Gender
- In Tennessee, 11.49% of the total number of reported AIDS cases among Women.
Reported AIDS Cases By Age
- In Tennessee, the percentage of the cumulative total number of reported AIDS cases
among the following age groups is:
Adolescent and Young Adults-
* Data in this summary was compiled by AIDS Action Council. Epidemiological data was
provided by the Centers for Disease Control. Funding amounts were provided by the
appropriate federal agency, and are from the most current fiscal year that state-by-state data is
The State of Tennessee received a total of $18,423,845 in federal funding for AIDS programs in
- In FY 1996, $3,794,345 was provided to Tennessee by the CDC for prevention programs. These funds
were allocated to state and local health departments and community-based organizations to finance counseling and
testing programs, public information and health education/risk reduction activities, and for monitoring the epidemic
(AIDS case surveillance programs).
1. Ryan White CARE Act
- In FY 1996, $3,767,963 was provided to Tennessee by the Health Resources and Services
Administration for health care and supportive services for people living with AIDS (PLWAs) under the Ryan White
Title II -- $3,757,916
-- Funds to state health depts. for medical and support services for PLWAs - $3,209,960
-- AIDS Drug Assistance Program (ADAP), funding for the purchase of HIV/AIDS
prescription drugs - $547,956
-- HIV/AIDS Dental Reimbursement Program - $10,047
2. Housing Opportunities for People With AIDS (HOPWA)
- In FY 1996, $1,061,000 in formula grants was provided to Tennessee by the Department of Housing and
Urban Development under Housing Opportunities for People With AIDS (HOPWA) program. HOPWA provides for
HIV-specific housing programs, 90% through formula grants, and the remaining 10% on a competitive basis to
projects of national significance.
National Institutes of Health (NIH)
- In FY 1996, the NIH allocated $9,800,537 to universities and other institutions in Tennessee to conduct
AIDS Action Council
1875 Connecticut Avenue, Suite 700
Washington, DC 20009