The following data represent the cumulative totals of reported AIDS cases in South Carolina.
Included are the total number of reported AIDS cases, and the number of reported AIDS cases by
demographic category in South Carolina.
Total Reported AIDS Cases
- In South Carolina, the cumulative number of reported AIDS cases from the beginning
of the epidemic in 1981 through 1996, is 6,273.
- 869 cases were reported in South Carolina in the past year.
Reported AIDS Cases By Race/Ethnicity
- In South Carolina, the cumulative total number of reported AIDS cases among the
following populations is:
|White, not Hispanic-
(32.82% of the total case count.)
(66.12% of the total case count.)
(0.88% of the total case count.)
(0.06% of the total case count.)
|American Indian/Alaskan Native-|
(0.08% of the total case count.)
Reported AIDS Cases By Gender
- In South Carolina, 19.69% of the total number of reported AIDS cases are among
Reported AIDS Cases By Age
- In South Carolina, the percentage of the cumulative total number of reported AIDS
cases among the following age groups is:
Adolescent and Young Adults-
* Data in this summary was compiled by AIDS Action Council. Epidemiological data was
provided by the Center for Disease Control. Funding amounts were provided by the
appropriate federal agency, and are from the most current fiscal year that state-by-state data is
The State of South Carolina received a total of $12,938,343 in federal funding for AIDS programs in
- In FY 1996, $5,060,274 was provided to South Carolina by the CDC for prevention programs. These
funds were allocated to state and local health departments and community-based organizations to finance
counseling and testing programs, public information and health education/risk reduction activities, and for
monitoring the epidemic (AIDS case surveillance programs).
1. Ryan White CARE Act
- In FY 1996 $5,068,751 was provided to South Carolina by the Health Resources and Services
Administration (HRSA) for health care and supportive services for people living with AIDS (PLWAs) under the Ryan
White CARE Act.
Title II -- $4,516,376
-- Funds to state health depts. for medical and support services for PLWAs- $3,857,827
-- AIDS Drug Assistance Program (ADAP), funding for the purchase of HIV/AIDS
prescription drugs- $658,549
Title IIIb -- $320,000
-- Funds to community-based clinics and migrant health clinics to provide outpatient early
intervention and primary medical services for PLWAs.
Title IV -- $229,940
-- Funds to support pediatric, adolescent, and family HIV care programs.
-- HIV/AIDS Dental Reimbursement Program- $2,435
2. Housing Opportunities for People With AIDS (HOPWA)
- In FY 1996, $1,224,000 was provided to South Carolina by Department of Housing and Urban
Development under the Housing Opportunities for People With AIDS (HOPWA). Funds are provided for HIV-
specific housing programs, 90% through formula grants, and the remaining 10% on a competitive basis to projects
of national significance.
National Institutes of Health (NIH)
- In FY 1996, the NIH allocated $1,585,318 to universities and other institutions in South Carolina to
conduct AIDS research.
AIDS Action Council
1875 Connecticut Avenue, Suite 700
Washington, DC 20009