Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill
  
  • Email Email
  • Printable Single-Page Print-Friendly
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV/AIDS in NORTH CAROLINA

PROFILE OF THE EPIDEMIC

1996

The following data represent the cumulative totals of reported AIDS cases in North Carolina. Included are the total number of reported AIDS cases, and the number of reported AIDS cases by demographic category in North Carolina.

Total Reported AIDS Cases

  • In North Carolina, the cumulative number of reported AIDS cases from the beginning of the epidemic in 1981 through 1996, is 7,313.
  • 895 cases were reported in North Carolina in the past year.

Reported AIDS Cases By Race/Ethnicity

Advertisement

  • In North Carolina, the cumulative total number of reported AIDS cases among the following populations is:

White, not Hispanic-
(34.98% of the total case count.)
2,558
African-American-
(62.19% of the total case count.)
4,548
Hispanic/Latino-
(1.65% of the total case count.)
121
Asian/Pacific Islander-
(0.25% of the total case count.)
18
American Indian/Alaskan Native-
(0.72% of the total case count.)
53

Reported AIDS Cases By Gender

  • In North Carolina, 17.49% of the total number of reported AIDS cases are among Women.

Reported AIDS Cases By Age

  • In North Carolina, the percentage of the cumulative total number of reported AIDS cases among the following age groups is:

Pediatric-

Adolescent and Young Adults-

Adults-

1.41%

5.39%

93.20%


* Data in this summary was compiled by AIDS Action Council. Epidemiological data was provided by the Centers for Disease Control. Funding amounts were provided by the appropriate federal agency, and are from the most current fiscal year that state-by-state data is available.


FUNDING

The State of North Carolina received a total of $68,192,737 in federal funding for AIDS programs in FY 1996.

Prevention

  • In FY 1996, $4,724,056 was provided to North Carolina by the CDC for prevention programs. These funds were allocated to state and local health departments and community-based organizations to finance counseling and testing programs, public information and health education/risk reduction activities, and for monitoring the epidemic (AIDS case surveillance programs).

Care

1. Ryan White CARE Act

  • In FY 1996, $6,106,388 was provided to North Carolina by the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) for health care and supportive services for people living with AIDS (PLWAs) under the Ryan White CARE Act.

Title II -- $4,810,589
-- Funds to state health depts. for medical and support services for PLWAs- $4,109,140
-- AIDS Drug Assistance Program (ADAP), funding for the purchase of HIV/AIDS prescription drugs- $701,449

Title IIIb -- $557,692
-- Funds to community-based clinics and migrant health clinics to provide outpatient early intervention and primary medical services for PLWAs.

Title IV -- $300,000
-- Funds to support pediatric, adolescent, and family HIV care programs.

Title V-
-- Special Projects of National Significance (SPNS)- $400,000
-- HIV/AIDS Dental Reimbursement Program- $38,107

2. Housing Opportunities for People With AIDS (HOPWA)

  • In FY 1996, $1,467,000 was provided to North Carolina by the Department of Housing and Urban Development under the Housing Opportunities for People With AIDS (HOPWA). Funds are provided for HIV- specific housing programs, 90% through formula grants, and the remaining 10% on a competitive basis to projects of national significance.

Research

National Institutes of Health (NIH)

  • In FY 1996, the NIH allocated $55,895,293 to universities and other institutions in North Carolina to conduct AIDS research.


AIDS Action Council
1875 Connecticut Avenue, Suite 700
Washington, DC 20009
202/986-1300
fax 986-1345
HN3384@Handsnet.org




  
  • Email Email
  • Printable Single-Page Print-Friendly
  • Glossary Glossary

This article was provided by AIDS Action Council.
 

Tools
 

Advertisement