The following data represent the cumulative totals of reported AIDS cases in Missouri. Included
are the total number of reported AIDS cases, and the number of reported AIDS cases by
demographic category in Missouri.
Total Reported AIDS Cases
In Missouri, the cumulative number of reported AIDS cases from the beginning of the epidemic in
1981 through 1996, is 7,259.
- 858 cases were reported in Missouri in the past year.
Reported AIDS Cases By Race/Ethnicity
In Missouri, the cumulative total number of reported AIDS cases among the following populations is:
White, not Hispanic-|
(68.04% of the total case count.)
(28.57% of the total case count.)
(2.63% of the total case count.)
(0.26% of the total case count.)
American Indian/Alaskan Native-|
(0.41% of the total case count.)
Reported AIDS Cases By Gender
In Missouri, 7.52% of the total number of reported AIDS cases are among Women.
Reported AIDS Cases By Age
- In Missouri, the percentage of the cumulative total number of reported AIDS cases
among the following age groups is:
Adolescent and Young Adults-
* Data in this summary was compiled by AIDS Action Council. Epidemiological data was
provided by the Centers for Disease Control. Funding amounts were provided by the
appropriate federal agency, and are from the most current fiscal year that state-by-state data is
The State of Missouri received a total of $33,424,460 in federal funding for AIDS programs in FY 1996.
In FY 1996, $3,676,921 was provided to Missouri by the CDC for prevention programs. These funds were allocated to
state and local health departments and community-based organizations to finance counseling and testing programs,
public information and health education/risk reduction activities, and for monitoring the epidemic (AIDS case
1. Ryan White CARE Act
In FY 1996, $10,942,389 was provided to Missouri by the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) for
health care and supportive services for people living with AIDS (PLWAs) under the Ryan White CARE Act.
Title I -- $5,101,655
-- Emergency funds to Kansas City $2,514,291 and St. Louis $2,587,364 for care services.
Title II -- $3,131,126
-- Funds to state health depts. for medical and support services for PLWAs- $2,504,335
-- AIDS Drug Assistance Program (ADAP), funding for the purchase of HIV/AIDS prescription
Title IIIb -- $1,396,406
-- Funds to community-based clinics and migrant health clinics to provide outpatient early intervention and
primary medical services for PLWAs.
Title IV -- $465,000
-- Funds to support pediatric, adolescent, and family HIV care programs.
-- Special Projects of National Significance (SPNS)- $830,031
-- HIV/AIDS Dental Reimbursement Program- $18,141
2. Housing Opportunities for People With AIDS (HOPWA)
- In FY 1996, $1,437,000 was provided to Missouri by the Department of Housing and Urban
Development under the Housing Opportunities for People With AIDS (HOPWA) program. HOPWA provides HIV-
specific housing programs, 90% through formula grants, and the remaining 10% on a competitive basis to projects
of national significance.
National Institutes of Health (NIH)
- In FY 1996, the NIH allocated $17,368,150 to universities and other institutions in Missouri to conduct
AIDS Action Council
1875 Connecticut Avenue, Suite 700
Washington, DC 20009