The following data represent the cumulative totals of reported AIDS cases in Michigan.
Included are the total number of reported AIDS cases, and the number of reported AIDS
cases by demographic category in Michigan.
Total Reported AIDS Cases
- In Michigan, the cumulative number of reported AIDS cases from the
beginning of the epidemic in 1981 through 1996, is 8,386.
- 965 cases were reported in Michigan in the past year.
Reported AIDS Cases By Race/Ethnicity
- In Michigan, the cumulative total number of reported AIDS cases among the
following populations is:
|White, not Hispanic-
(43.63% of the total case count.)
(53.35% of the total case count.)
(2.58% of the total case count.)
| 216 |
(0.16% of the total case count.)
|American Indian/Alaskan Native-
(0.23% of the total case count.)
Reported AIDS Cases By Gender
- In Michigan, 14.33% of the total number of reported AIDS cases are among
Reported AIDS Cases By Age
- In Michigan, percentage of the cumulative total number of reported AIDS
cases among the following age groups is:
Adolescent and Young Adults-
* Data in this summary was compiled by AIDS Action Council.
Epidemiological data was provided by the Centers for Disease Control.
Funding amounts were provided by the appropriate federal agency, and
are from the most current fiscal year that state-by-state data is
The State of Michigan received a total of $35,154,392 in federal funding for AIDS programs in
- In FY 1996, $9,284,895 was provided to Michigan by the CDC for prevention programs.
These funds were allocated to state and local health departments and community-based organizations to
finance counseling and testing programs, public information and health education/risk reduction activities,
and for monitoring the epidemic (AIDS case surveillance programs).
1. Ryan White CARE Act
- In FY 1996, $11,408,600 was provided to Michigan by the Health Resources and Services
Administration (HRSA) for health care and supportive services for people living with AIDS (PLWAs)
under the Ryan White CARE Act.
Title -- $4,405,380
-Emergency funds to the Detroit metropolitan area for care services.
Title II -- $3,897,084
-- Funds to state health depts. for medical and support services for PLWAs- $3,104,263
-- AIDS Drug Assistance Program (ADAP), funding for the purchase of HIV/AIDS prescription drugs- $792,821
Title IIIb -- $1,275,830
-- Funds to community-based clinics and migrant health clinics to provide outpatient early intervention and primary
medical services for PLWAs.
Title IV -- $455,000
-- Funds to support pediatric, adolescent, and family HIV care programs.
-- Special Projects of National Significance (SPNS)- $830,875
-- AIDS Education and Training Centers (AETC's)- $436,466
-- HIV/AIDS Dental Reimbursement Program- $81,265
2. Housing Opportunities for People With AIDS (HOPWA)
- In FY 1996, $1,686,000 was provided to Michigan by the Department of Housing and Urban
Development under the Housing Opportunities for People With AIDS (HOPWA) program. HOPWA
provides for HIV-specific housing programs, 90% through formula grants, and the remaining 10% on a
competitive basis to projects of national significance.
National Institutes of Health (NIH)
- In FY 1996, the NIH allocated $12,774,897 to universities and other institutions in Michigan to
conduct AIDS research.
AIDS Action Council
1875 Connecticut Avenue, Suite 700
Washington, DC 20009