Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  
  • Email Email
  • Printable Single-Page Print-Friendly
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV/AIDS in MICHIGAN

PROFILE OF THE EPIDEMIC

1996

The following data represent the cumulative totals of reported AIDS cases in Michigan. Included are the total number of reported AIDS cases, and the number of reported AIDS cases by demographic category in Michigan.

Total Reported AIDS Cases

  • In Michigan, the cumulative number of reported AIDS cases from the beginning of the epidemic in 1981 through 1996, is 8,386.
  • 965 cases were reported in Michigan in the past year.

Reported AIDS Cases By Race/Ethnicity

  • In Michigan, the cumulative total number of reported AIDS cases among the following populations is:

White, not Hispanic-
(43.63% of the total case count.)
3,659
African-American-
(53.35% of the total case count.)
4,474
Hispanic/Latino-
(2.58% of the total case count.)
216
Asian/Pacific Islander-
(0.16% of the total case count.)
13
American Indian/Alaskan Native- (0.23% of the total case count.) 19

Reported AIDS Cases By Gender

  • In Michigan, 14.33% of the total number of reported AIDS cases are among Women.

Reported AIDS Cases By Age

  • In Michigan, percentage of the cumulative total number of reported AIDS cases among the following age groups is:

Pediatric-

Adolescent and Young Adults-

Adults-

1.03%

4.56%

94.42%


* Data in this summary was compiled by AIDS Action Council. Epidemiological data was provided by the Centers for Disease Control. Funding amounts were provided by the appropriate federal agency, and are from the most current fiscal year that state-by-state data is available.


FUNDING

The State of Michigan received a total of $35,154,392 in federal funding for AIDS programs in FY 1996.

Prevention

  • In FY 1996, $9,284,895 was provided to Michigan by the CDC for prevention programs. These funds were allocated to state and local health departments and community-based organizations to finance counseling and testing programs, public information and health education/risk reduction activities, and for monitoring the epidemic (AIDS case surveillance programs).

Care

1. Ryan White CARE Act

  • In FY 1996, $11,408,600 was provided to Michigan by the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) for health care and supportive services for people living with AIDS (PLWAs) under the Ryan White CARE Act.

Title -- $4,405,380 -Emergency funds to the Detroit metropolitan area for care services.

Title II -- $3,897,084
-- Funds to state health depts. for medical and support services for PLWAs- $3,104,263
-- AIDS Drug Assistance Program (ADAP), funding for the purchase of HIV/AIDS prescription drugs- $792,821

Title IIIb -- $1,275,830
-- Funds to community-based clinics and migrant health clinics to provide outpatient early intervention and primary medical services for PLWAs.

Title IV -- $455,000
-- Funds to support pediatric, adolescent, and family HIV care programs.

Title V-
-- Special Projects of National Significance (SPNS)- $830,875
-- AIDS Education and Training Centers (AETC's)- $436,466
-- HIV/AIDS Dental Reimbursement Program- $81,265

2. Housing Opportunities for People With AIDS (HOPWA)

  • In FY 1996, $1,686,000 was provided to Michigan by the Department of Housing and Urban Development under the Housing Opportunities for People With AIDS (HOPWA) program. HOPWA provides for HIV-specific housing programs, 90% through formula grants, and the remaining 10% on a competitive basis to projects of national significance.

Research

National Institutes of Health (NIH)

  • In FY 1996, the NIH allocated $12,774,897 to universities and other institutions in Michigan to conduct AIDS research.


AIDS Action Council
1875 Connecticut Avenue, Suite 700
Washington, DC 20009
202/986-1300
fax 986-1345
HN3384@Handsnet.org




  
  • Email Email
  • Printable Single-Page Print-Friendly
  • Glossary Glossary

This article was provided by AIDS Action Council.
 

Tools
 

Advertisement