The following data represent the cumulative totals of reported AIDS cases in
Kentucky. Included are the total number of reported AIDS cases, and the number of
reported AIDS cases by demographic category in Kentucky.
Total Reported AIDS Cases
AdvertisementReported AIDS Cases By Race/Ethnicity
- In Kentucky, the cumulative number of reported AIDS cases from the
beginning of the epidemic in 1981 through 1996, is 2,224.
- 401 cases were reported in Kentucky in the past year.
- In Kentucky, the cumulative total number of reported AIDS cases among
the following populations is:
White, not Hispanic-
(72.80% of the total case count.)
(25.72% of the total case count.)
(1.26% of the total case count.)
(0.22% of the total case count.)
American Indian/Alaskan Native-
(0% of the total case count.)
Reported AIDS Cases By Gender
- In Kentucky, 11.65% of the total number of reported AIDS cases are
Reported AIDS Cases By Age
- In Kentucky, the percentage of the cumulative total number of reported
AIDS cases among the following
age groups is:
Adolescent and Young Adults-
* Data in this summary was compiled by AIDS Action Council.
Epidemiological data was provided by the Centers for Disease
Control. Funding amounts were provided by the appropriate federal
agency, and are from the most current fiscal year that state-by-
state data is available.
The Commonwealth of Kentucky received a total of $6,329,242 in federal funding for AIDS programs in
- In FY 1996, $1,865,226 was provided to Kentucky by the CDC for prevention programs.
These funds were allocated to state and local health departments and community-based organizations to
finance counseling and testing programs, public information and health education/risk reduction activities,
and for monitoring the epidemic (AIDS case surveillance programs).
1. Ryan White CARE Act
In FY 1996, $1,344,978 was provided to Kentucky by the Health Resources and Services Administration
(HRSA) for health care and supportive services for people living with AIDS (PLWAs) under the Ryan
White CARE Act.
Title II -- $1,344,978
-- Funds to state health depts. for medical and support services for PLWAs- $1,148,862
-- AIDS Drug Assistance Program (ADAP), funding for the purchase of HIV/AIDS prescription drugs-
2. Housing Opportunities for People With AIDS (HOPWA)
- In FY 1996, $413,000 was provided to Kentucky by the Department of Housing and Urban
Development under a Housing Opportunities for People With AIDS (HOPWA) formula grant. HOPWA
provides HIV-specific housing programs, 90% through formula grants, and the remaining 10% on a
competitive basis to projects of national significance.
National Institutes of Health (NIH)
- In FY 1996, the NIH allocated $2,706,038 to universities and other institutions in Kentucky to
conduct AIDS research.
AIDS Action Council
1875 Connecticut Avenue, Suite 700
Washington, DC 20009