The following data represent the cumulative totals of reported AIDS cases in Iowa. Included
are the total number of reported AIDS cases, and the number of reported AIDS cases by
demographic category in Iowa.
Total Reported AIDS Cases
In Iowa, the cumulative number of reported AIDS cases from the beginning of the epidemic in
1981 through 1996, is 983.
- 112 cases were reported in Iowa in the past year.
Reported AIDS Cases By Race/Ethnicity
- In Iowa, the cumulative total number of reported AIDS cases among the following
White, not Hispanic-|
(88.40% of the total case count.)
(8.24% of the total case count.)
(2.95% of the total case count.)
(0% of the total case count.)
American Indian/Alaskan Native-|
(0% of the total case count.)
Reported AIDS Cases By Gender
- In Iowa, 9.26% of the total number of reported AIDS cases are among Women.
Reported AIDS Cases By Age
In Iowa, the percentage of the cumulative total number of reported AIDS cases among the
following age groups is:
Adolescent and Young Adults-
* Data in this summary was compiled by AIDS Action Council. Epidemiological data was
provided by the Centers for Disease Control. Funding amounts were provided by the
appropriate federal agency, and are from the most current fiscal year that state-by-state
data is available.
The State of Iowa received a total of $6,169,619 in federal funding for AIDS programs in FY 1996.
- In FY 1996, $1,806,598 was provided to Iowa by the CDC for prevention programs. These funds were
allocated to state and local health departments and community-based organizations to finance counseling and
testing programs, public information and health education/risk reduction activities, and for monitoring the epidemic
(AIDS case surveillance programs).
1. Ryan White CARE Act
- In FY 1996, $765,474 was provided to Iowa by the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA)
for health care and supportive services for people living with AIDS (PLWAs) under the Ryan White CARE Act.
Title II -- $613,264
-- Funds to state health depts. for medical and support services for PLWAs- $523,842
-- AIDS Drug Assistance Program (ADAP), funding for the purchase of HIV/AIDS prescription drugs- $89,422
Title IIIb -- $149,166
-- Funds to community-based clinics and migrant health clinics to provide outpatient early intervention and
primary medical services for PLWAs.
Title V --
--HIV/AIDS Dental Reimbursement Program- $3,044
2. Housing Opportunities for People With AIDS (HOPWA)
- In FY 1996, no funding was provided to Iowa by the Department of Housing and Urban Development
under the Housing Opportunities for People With AIDS (HOPWA) program. HOPWA provides HIV-specific
housing programs, 90% through formula grants, and the remaining 10% on a competitive basis to projects of
National Institutes of Health (NIH)
- In FY 1996, the NIH allocated $3,597,547 to universities and other institutions in Iowa to conduct AIDS
AIDS Action Council
1875 Connecticut Avenue, Suite 700
Washington, DC 20009