The following data represent the cumulative totals of reported AIDS cases in Arkansas. Included are
the total number of reported AIDS cases, and the number of reported AIDS cases by demographic
category in Arkansas.
Total Reported AIDS Cases
AdvertisementReported AIDS Cases By Race/Ethnicity
In Arkansas, the cumulative number of reported AIDS cases from the beginning of the epidemic
in 1981 through 1996, is 2,158.
- 269 cases were reported in Arkansas in the past year.
In Arkansas, the cumulative total number of reported AIDS cases among the following populations
White, not Hispanic-
(67.10% of the total case count.)
(31.54% of the total case count.)
(0.93% of the total case count.)
(0.0% of the total case count.)
American Indian/Alaskan Native-
(0.37% of the total case count.)
Reported AIDS Cases By Gender
In Arkansas, 14.04% of the total number of reported AIDS cases are among Women.
Reported AIDS Cases By Age
In Arkansas, the percentage of the cumulative total number of reported AIDS cases among the
following age groups is:
Adolescent and Young Adults-
* Data in this summary was compiled by AIDS Action Council. Epidemiological data was
provided by the Centers for Disease Control. Funding amounts were provided by the
appropriate federal agency, and are from the most current fiscal year that state-by-state data is
The State of Arkansas received a total of $6,457,210 in federal funding for AIDS programs in FY 1996.
- In FY 1996, $2,376,045 was provided to Arkansas by the CDC for prevention programs. These funds were
allocated to state and local health departments and community-based organizations to finance counseling and testing
programs, public information and health education/risk reduction activities, and for monitoring the epidemic (AIDS case
1. Ryan White CARE Act
- In FY 1996, $2,830,950 was provided to Arkansas by the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA)
for health care and supportive services for people living with AIDS (PLWAs) under the Ryan White CARE Act.
Title II -- $2,260,259
-- Funds to state health depts. for medical and support services for PLWAs- $1,789,469
-- AIDS Drug Assistance Program (ADAP), funding for the purchase of HIV/AIDS prescription
Title IIIb -- $327,250
-- Funds to community-based clinics and migrant health clinics to provide outpatient early intervention and
primary medical services for PLWAs.
-- Special Programs of National Significance- $243,441
2. Housing Opportunities for People With AIDS (HOPWA)
In FY 1996, $434,000 was provided to Arkansas by the Department of Housing and Urban Development under the
Housing Opportunities for People With AIDS (HOPWA) program. HOPWA provides for HIV-specific housing
programs, 90% through formula grants, and the remaining 10% on a competitive basis to projects of national
National Institutes of Health (NIH)
- In FY 1996, the NIH allocated $816,215 to universities and other institutions in Arkansas to conduct AIDS research.
AIDS Action Council
1875 Connecticut Avenue, Suite 700
Washington, DC 20009