- AIDS Declared National Security Threat
The national security apparatus is becoming involved in the global pandemic, for the first time.
- Conference Call on New Drugs and Strategies, May 23
You can hear leading experts and ask them questions about the most promising new drugs and treatment strategies.
- Amprenavir (Agenerase®) Oral Solution: Warning for Some Patients
The oral form of amprenavir, intended for those who cannot use the capsules, could be harmful to some patients because they cannot metabolize large amounts of an ingredient used to dissolve the drug into liquid form.
- Nevirapine (Viramune): European Warning
An official European warning urges heightened precautions especially during the first 8 weeks that this drug is used.
- Efavirenz (Sustiva®): Oral Liquid Expanded Access Program for Children and Adolescents Ages 3-16
A liquid formulation of efavirenz, still classified as experimental, will be made widely available through an expanded-access study for children who cannot easily take the capsules.
- Retroviruses Conference: New Printed Summary
A readable 32-page review of this year's important Retroviruses conference is now available.
- Prison and HIV or Hepatitis: June 17 Meeting in Washington
An important one-day meeting on several issues affecting prisoners with HIV and/or hepatitis is being sponsored by the ACLU.
- AIDS Candlelight Memorial, May 21
Information on the 17th annual International AIDS Candlelight Memorial, which is held in dozens of countries around the world.
- South Africa: Advisor Ian Roberts Resigns
The advisor asked to set up an international scientific panel to advise the government of South Africa on responding to AIDS has resigned.
- AIDS Denialists: How to Respond
Theories like the belief that HIV is a harmless virus or does not exist (making precautions unnecessary), that AIDS is caused by the drugs used to treat it, or that the whole epidemic is a scam to sell pills and collect research grants, need better response from the medical, scientific, service, and activist communities. We are finding that persons influenced have often been unable to find anyone willing to defend any other view.
ISSN # 1052-4207
Copyright 2000 by John S. James. Permission granted for noncommercial reproduction, provided that our address and phone number are included if more than short quotations are used.