The Medscape HIV/AIDS Annual Update 2000 -- based on the Clinical Care Options for HIV Symposium, May 4-7, 2000 -- is on the Web at http://hiv.medscape.com
. This review, written for AIDS physicians by leading experts, is important because of this Symposium's clinical focus -- on practical issues in the doctor's office, more than on research.
The following chapters are now available, usually both as text and audio, sometimes only as audio:
- Forward, by John P. Phair, M.D. and Edward King, M.A.
- Immunopathogenesis of HIV Infection, by Richard A. Koup, M.D.
- Viral Pathogenesis: Update and Clinical Implications, by Daniel Kuritzkes, M.D.
- Human Genetic Factors that Impact HIV Infection and Progression, by Stephen J. O'Brien, Ph.D.
- Antiretroviral Therapy: Initial Strategies, by Joel E. Gallant, M.D., M.P.H.
- Managing Antiretroviral-Experienced Patients, by Robert L. Murphy, M.D.
- Choosing and Using Resistance Assays, by Steven G. Deeks, M.D. and Andrew R. Zolopa, M.D.
- Drug Interactions: Better Living through Pharmacology?, by Charles Flexner, M.D.
- Adherence: Issues and Strategies, by Laura Cheever, M.D.
- Recent Advances in the Clinical Management of HIV-Infected Infants and Children, by Karin Nielsen, M.D., M.P.H.
- Emerging Issues in the Clinical Management of HIV in Women, by Judith Currier, M.D., M.Sc.
- Fat Redistribution and Metabolic Abnormalities, by Donald P. Kotler, M.D.
- Hyperlipidemia and Insulin Resistance Due to HIV Infection and its Therapies, by Carl Grunfeld, M.D., Ph.D.
- Hypertension and HIV Infection, by Lynda Anne Szczech, M.D., M.S.C.E.
- Opportunistic Infections 2000, by William Powderly, M.D.
- Co-Infection with Hepatitis C and HIV, by Marion Peters, M.D. and Kenneth Sherman, M.D., Ph.D.
- Virus-Related Cancers in the HAART Era, by Alexandra M. Levine, M.D.
- Appendix: Quick Reference Guide to Antiretrovirals, by Malte Schutz, M.D. and Andrea Wendrow, R.Ph.
- Moderated Panel: Review of the Conference: Pathogenesis; Antiretroviral Therapy; and Complications of HIV Disease and Therapy
- Additional Audio Interview: Addiction, Psychiatric Issues and HIV, by Glenn Treisman, M.D., Ph.D.
This update was supported by an unrestricted educational grant from Agouron Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Note: The first time you log onto http://hiv.medscape.com you will be asked to register and supply a password, so that the site can track how it is used. There is no charge
to use it.
ISSN # 1052-4207
Copyright 2000 by John S. James. Permission granted for noncommercial reproduction, provided that our address and phone number are included if more than short quotations are used.
Back to the AIDS Treatment News June 23, 2000 contents page.