- Retroviruses Conference: Live Telephone Report Feb. 7
Hear a toll-free one-hour summary from the major scientific
AIDS conference of 2001, from experts who can answer your
questions -- or hear a recording of the call later.
- First HIV Vaccine for Africa Begins Trials
The first vaccine designed for an HIV strain prevalent in
Africa is about to begin human trials.
- African Americans and AIDS Conference, Feb. 19-20,
Washington, D.C.: Fauci, Gayle, Primm, Other Speakers
We list some of the major talks at this year's conference
on African Americans and AIDS, which was announced with
- United Nations AIDS Session: Email Input Sought
Nonprofits and others have been invited to contribute to
preparation for the United Nations General Assembly Special
Session on AIDS, through an online forum available throughout the world.
- March 5: "Global Day of Action Against Drug Company Profiteering," as Pharmaceutical Companies Sue South Africa to Block Low-Cost Medicines
Worldwide protests are planned as international
pharmaceutical companies sue South Africa to block post-apartheid medicine reforms.
- Africa Treatment Access: Contact President and Congress on Africa Executive Order
The Bush Administration is considering whether to revoke
current U.S. policy not to retaliate against African
countries which seek affordable AIDS medicines through
World Trade Organization rules -- unless they also meet
additional intellectual-property restrictions which U.S.
pharmaceutical companies want.
- News Flash: Brazil; South Africa Lawsuit Letter
- Hepatitis C, Co-Infection Information Recommended
A leading activist particularly recommends two Web sites.
- AIDS Treatment News Contacts, Schedule Update
New direct phone number, fax and email update.
- San Francisco Data Show HIV Rates Still Rising, Experts Say
The best available information shows a continuing increase
in the proportion of HIV-negative gay and bisexual men who
become infected each year -- with those over age 25 at
greater risk than those under 25.
ISSN # 1052-4207
Copyright 2001 by John S. James. Permission granted for noncommercial reproduction, provided that our address and phone number are included if more than short quotations are used.