- Retroviruses Conference: Johns Hopkins Report
On March 1 the HIV newsletter from Johns Hopkins University published several short, focused reports on the Retroviruses conference, written primarily for physicians. These are available on the Web or by mail. We list most of the major topics covered.
- Obtaining the New HIV Treatment Guidelines
How to order the new HIV/AIDS official adult treatment guidelines by mail if you do not have computer access; how to get your questions about treatments answered at the same office; and other guidelines available including prevention of opportunistic infections, and what to do in case of occupational exposure to HIV. In addition, the official Web site for the guidelines has a marked copy which shows where the current adult guidelines are changed from the previous version.
- Merck, Bristol-Myers Squibb Announce Major Price Reductions for Poorest Countries: Major Access Progress but Questions Remain
Two major pharmaceutical companies have announced new and much lower prices for antiretrovirals for African and some other poor countries, along with a uniform pricing policy which should simplify negotiations for access to the drugs.
- MSF (Doctors Without Borders) Petition Against South Africa Lawsuit, Deadline April 15
Doctors Without Borders is collecting signatures from around the world, asking major pharmaceutical companies to drop the lawsuit which for three years has prevented South Africa from implementing its post-Apartheid reform of its medicines law.
- Southern Africa Home Care: Conference Report
These Web reports of a recent conference in Gabarone, Botswana, provide an African view of the epidemic and the home-care approaches now in use.
- amfAR Seeks Medical Writer/Editor in New York
ISSN # 1052-4207
Copyright 2001 by John S. James. Permission granted for noncommercial reproduction, provided that our address and phone number are included if more than short quotations are used.