- Tenofovir: FDA Hearing on Important New Antiretroviral
Report on the FDA advisory committee hearing on tenofovir (VireadTM, a new antiretroviral about to be approved.
- Apparently Harmless Virus Associated with Reduced HIV Death
Infection with a virus that does not cause any known disease has been associated with a much better survival rate in persons with HIV. The mechanism of action is unknown. With further research, this finding might lead to a new class of drugs to help control HIV.
- Retroviruses Conference: Major Deadlines November 16, 2001
Anyone going to the retroviruses conference next February either as community press or through the community scholarship program must apply by November 16. Applications from developing-country researchers and clinicians applying for international scholarships are also due on that date.
- Barcelona International Conference, July 7-12, 2002: Time to Start Planning
Early applicants can get more convenient housing and a reduced admission price, and many international tickets go on sale early in the year.
- "A Day for Women" Medical Information Meeting, November 3 in New York
A one-day meeting on women's HIV treatment issues will allow participants to ask questions of the experts. The meeting is free, but registration is required due to limited space.
- New HIV Drugs: Extensive Lists, Additional Information
Here are links to lists of HIV drugs in development, and to an article about some of the most important ones.
- Africa Access News
Much is happening in the fight for access to treatment in developing countries, especially countries in sub-Saharan Africa.
ISSN # 1052-4207
Copyright 2001 by John S. James. Permission granted for noncommercial reproduction, provided that our address and phone number are included if more than short quotations are used.